• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Takeaways from Fan Fest Scrimmage?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

How did the d line look like? 

Thanks for your report.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  239
  • Days Won:  2

How did Flowers' passing look? is he improving on the shorter routes?

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  715
  • Days Won:  1

I don't know who was covering the corner during the red zone drills the last 20 mins......but they made three great pass blocks in the southwest endzone...stripping the ball from the receivers hands...really physical...both players jumping for the pass....with no flag thrown. The defense looked better to me. I was standing at the 15/20 (west side) where the players kept blocking my view. Being that close was great. Best part was seeing all the proud Mom's there watching their babies play. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, JupiterBull said:

I didn't get back to Jupiter till nearly 1 AM last night (after attending Fan Fest, Ferg's Pre-Game and USF Night at The Trop.  I can't find a thread on insight from the scrimmage.

Is there a thread already?  If not, I'd love to hear some feedback from those who were there.

For me, Flowers looked good (the touch to tackle made him look less successful, but that's not reality, as he showed last year...lots of touching; little tackling).  Salomon is a man child. Culpepper looks big, fast & strong, and likely makes an impact as a freshman.

Felix had a nice TD (called back, but still).   He's got good size, and could be an impact player.  Rice Grad Transfer Alaka entered the game, when a coach (Sterling?) yelled, "Hey, 12, get in here".  He caught the next pass for a TD.  He's got good size, too.

Tice & Conkcrite ran very hard, and Dillon had a good game.  Lots of energy on both sides of the ball.

Funniest moment was when Flowers eluded a pass rusher & ran right into Coach Strong, causing the sack.  I swear I heard "Come on!"  Funny.

Biggest concern for me in the LB crew.  Secondary has some good, young size.  Lots of talent there, but still makes me a tad nervous.

Best part was being 10 feet away from the players, and hearing the interaction from players to players, and coaches with players.

Overall, great experience...well worth the trip from Jupiter.  Looking forward to seeing our Bulls hit people NOT wearing green.  GO BULLS!

Great recap Jupe. Overall, do you think the D looked better than last year? 

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

1 hour ago, Bulls On Parade said:

How did the d line look like? 

Thanks for your report.

D line looked aggressive & got decent penetration, but the OL also did well.  It's so hard to gauge when they play each other...and I was 10 feet behind the offense, so sometimes it was hard to see.

I thought Bronson & Hector looked very good.  Bronson is a GROWN man...he's going to wreck people.  Frank Johnson (91) looked quick.  I don't recall seeing 94 Livingston, but that was mainly because I was on the O side.  Senat looked good, too...he's a run stuffer.

53 minutes ago, HOTbull19 said:

How did Flowers' passing look? is he improving on the shorter routes?

His 40+ yd TD to Salomon was sweet.  His shorter passes were crisp, and aside from a few drops, the passing game looked good.  I saw him warming up before the scrimmage, and his mechanics look MUCH better than his early days (maybe a "duh" statement, as clearly he's come a long way).  His spirals were tight, and he's a super calm dude, and just looks so relaxed and quietly confident.  The league will be getting up for him, trying to be the team to shut him down, but that's the price of getting all of this off season hype & attention.  I think he's going to do well this year...but I worry he'll miss Adams and Mack.

46 minutes ago, libby_arts said:

I don't know who was covering the corner during the red zone drills the last 20 mins......but they made three great pass blocks in the southwest endzone...stripping the ball from the receivers hands...really physical...both players jumping for the pass....with no flag thrown. The defense looked better to me. I was standing at the 15/20 (west side) where the players kept blocking my view. Being that close was great. Best part was seeing all the proud Mom's there watching their babies play. 

So you were on the defensive side.  I think Mazzi Wilkins made a few of those plays, and Mike Hampton made some good plays.  I don't think Abrahams, Fullwood or Hoggins played.

McGee (21) remains one of the toughest guys on the back 7.  He's going to well.  Lastly, I'd say Nichols showed great leadership.

54 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Great recap Jupe. Overall, do you think the D looked better than last year? 

See my other answer, but I'd say a bit better.  We have the talent to disrupt, and we HAVE to have better coaching this year.  Woodie was likely a great guy loved by Taggart and the players.  But I think he was in over his head, and I can't think of a single time that he made adjustments.

So many times last year, we allowed comebacks to almost give away games (the last 5 games should have been bigger wins, but we let teams back in on D).  We almost managed to let Navy beat us, giving up 4 TDs to a RUNNING team that we KNEW had to throw...something they weren't good at...and they nearly took us to OT.  Man, my BP is up just typing.  So...we SHOULD have as much or more talent, and almost certainly better coaching.

Edited by JupiterBull
hit SAVE to early.
  • Upvote 3