• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CFN USF Sneak Preview

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

I The coaches pushed him all spring as if they wanted to shorten his learning curb.  

Is a learning curb anytihng like a learning speed bump? I know it was just a typo but the visual was pretty funny.

Bulb%20Curb%201big.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest S.  Bien

Is a learning curb anytihng like a learning speed bump? I know it was just a typo but the visual was pretty funny.

Bulb%20Curb%201big.jpg

Yeah, something similar.  Nice visual.  Oops, that is pretty funny.  

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

What is intriguing to me is Theo Watson is a top recruit but Springfield is being listed as the left starting OT. Springfield might be massive but his athleticism concerns me.  I believe USF's guard depth (Davis, Carrothers, Griffin, Springfield, Huners) is great but at center (Miller, ?) and tackle (Davis, Watson, Walker, Springfield) I'm concerned.  If this unit blocks solidly for the rushing game and the QB's TD to INT ratio is greater than 1, our Bulls will sniff 5-6 Ws.

On the D, if the Joneses play near the all-conference level as expected, the Bull D will be back.  USF may have the best LB core depth in the BE & in FL for that matter if you throw Johnny Jones in that mix.  If one CB is all conference and the other plays respectable, the 2005 D will be comparable with 2002-2003 Bull D's.

Another thing is I thought Mike Jenkins was more of the safety type.  Is he only being looked at as a CB.  It was my impression he played CB last yr due to the lack of CB depth?  It would seem to me he could fill in at either safety spot.  Isn't he a 6' 200 #'r?  BTW, I thought he had a coupla bogus INT/holding calls against him last season.

Anyway, that was a darn good preview of USF IMO.  After seeing ESPN mag has a college football article in its lastest, seeing the CF previews and looking for ways to get to the PSU, Miami & Pitt games, I'm getting all giddy like a school girl going to the senior prom.  Garsh Darn, I can't wait for Fan Appreciation Day!  I even get to go this season  ;D.

Guest S.  Bien

Doug,

Actually Springfield is a pretty good athlete.  I would bet he's one of the better on the OL.  The knock on him isn't athleticism, or overweight it's intensity, and technique.  If he can get the technique down, and give 100% every play then he could be a good one.  So far he's proven inconsistent at best.

I agree on your assessment on the defense.  If the DT's can play up to par, and keep the blockers off our LB's, then watch for Nicholas to have an amazing year.  Johnny Jones is no Javon Camon, and he'll need to prove it.

Jenkins is interesting.  He definitely has the speed to be at corner, and often some of the holding/interf calls against him were because he was in stride with the WR but he wasn't turning to play the ball.  The question is whether Jenkins has the ability to swivel those hips and play the ball and the man.  He has the speed to keep up, now he needs to put it all together.  Corner's a difficult position to master in big time college sports.  It's not enough just to be fast, you must have a quick first step, great hip swivel, and change of direction.  To be an effective corner you have to put it all together, and Jenkins didn't have it all together last year.  The positive is he was always near the ball, the negative is he rarely made an effective play on the ball or player which usually resulted in a catch.  Hopefully he has the necessary skills and this is his year.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Thing that concerns me w/Denson at QB is height.  Our OL looks awful tall from 6'8 to 6'3 or so.  Denson at 5'11 (and that's generous, he looks 5-10 to my untrained eye) may have some problems seeing over that line.  Iknow, I know Blackwell was only 5'11 at best, but the line during Blackwell's career wasn't as tall as the current line and the room for error is decidedly less in our current situation.

Stephen Nicholas only being a Junior this year is awesome.  He's going to be a monster when he is a senior.

Thankfully Javon Camon is gone.  Addition by subtraction.  he was awful.  We counted on him heavily last year to be a big senior leader on the D and in my opinion the rest of the D followed his example right down the toilet.  With the jones's back and Nicholas an upperclassmen, the younger guys have some great examples to follow.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  0

Bulb%20Curb%201big.jpg

Hey Leavitt, can you tell me where that picture is from.  I swear it is a town outside of Charlotte, NC that I stopped in once.  

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

oh boy

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

oh boy

That pretty much sums up my feelings about this season, it's gonna be a long year.

I would also like to take this time to thank Bulliever, USFDave and Smazza on helping me break another milestone, my 1500 post!  I am gaining on you smazza!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

save your money

here is slm's sneak preview

"Usf will continue to regress"

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

"Usf will continue to regress"

If you really believe this, then why are you still here?