• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CFN USF Sneak Preview

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

Well they list him as "Star of the Class" based on his High School accolades.  

What matters is what players do when they get on campus.  

As far as the QB depth chart, I don't for a minute believe we will go into the season with the chart as he has it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  387
  • Days Won:  0

That was a fair assessment. Can't really argue with their points. I think regardless of who are QB will be, our offense will improve as we're stronger in every position.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  1,037

I know I am just venting but on paper we will be a whole lot better on O and D as far as that goes...I think it is time to go bowling!!!!!!!

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,522
  • Days Won:  10

I know I am just venting but on paper we will be a whole lot better on O and D as far as that goes...I think it is time to go bowling!!!!!!!

I agree, Flip.  I'm definately on the side that  thinks last year was an aberration.  I'm also happy to see that this guy did a little homework, but I don't think that anyone who really knows the program wouldn't put  Matt up there with any of the top contenders for QB.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

I am interested to see how Verpaele makes the transition to SS from FS.  I think this position suits his size (or lack thereof) and he could become more of a factor on Defense.  Although listing him as a defensive pre-season all-star is a bit pre-mature.  

All in all it looks like a very good summary.  

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

I hope Carlton Hill has more TD's than any other member of the team, except for the QB who is throwing the ball to him......

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

I love it that Hill is getting all this press and he has alot to live up to and hope he pans out for the team but these sports writers have Grothe as an after thought! Oh well he can just quitely prove them all wrong!! dead wrong!!

All that matter is what Jim Leavitt thinks....right?

May the best man win!

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I love it that Hill is getting all this press and he has alot to live up to and hope he pans out for the team but these sports writers have Grothe as an after thought! Oh well he can just quitely prove them all wrong!! dead wrong!!

All along, I thought Matt is the better QB prospect and from what you've said, he's out to prove it.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,843
  • Days Won:  22

For those interested here is how their units rankings compared to what they gave last year.

Position- 2005-2004

QB-5-4

RB-8-6

OL-5.5-5.5

WR-6.5-5

DL-6-5

LB-7.5-6

DB-6-5

So according to them we are improved across the board, BUT we do have FOUR games in the middle of our season which could be a killer or a launching pad to success with

Louisville, Miami, Pitt and West Virginia in a row. Thats two teams in top 10 and one in top 25. If we get one of those of four or better we will probably go to Bowl game.

Guest S.  Bien

I agree.  On defense the only area where i believe someone is going to have to step up and prove to be a man is DE.  I am confident the LB'ing, DT, and DB's play will improve dramatically but DE is the only position I am still unsure of.  We need a DE that can put some consistet pressure on the QB, Royal is on the cusp of being that player (could use a tad more dedication), Simmons is just filler material, could Josh Julmiste be the man?  Maybe Woody George (who was very solid all spring), hopefully Buie comes in and lives up to expectations, maybe another name yet to be mentioned:^)

On offense, it's all QB.  The guy was right on the mark with OT depth.  For this offense to be solid outside of QB improvement we could really use a guy like Springfield to start living up to expectations.  He bills Springfield pretty heavy, and he was a well respected recruited coming out of HS but as of yet he hasn't lived up to it.  The coaches pushed him all spring as if they wanted to shorten his learning curb.  We could use someone to step up at tackle, maybe give the Davis the freedom to move inside again!

I have no doubt in my mind that our linebacking crew is going to be that good.  Nicholas beefed up to around 225lbs (played last year around 215lbs and lower) and he looks faster than ever, and looked sensational in the spring game.  All the other guys looked solid if not spectacular at times, and nothing about Geno Coleman has said he's going to be anything less than exceptional (well sans the arrests).  Throw-in a 6-3 220lbs Johnny Jones at SS and it will be like having four linebackers on the field when stopping the run.  

Stopping the pass....well having Djuan Brown back healthy will automatically improve the corner play.  Just get to the **** QB.