• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FYI: Lindy's & Athlon & Our FootBulls

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

I was in Publix late last night (Chickadees needed cereal milk  :).) and noticed the Athlon & Lindy's college football issues.  So I spend some time checking out the mags.  Lindy's ranked our Bulls No. 79.  Athlon had 'em at 99.

I believe Andre Hall was a preseason first team BE RB in both mags, one for sure.  Lindy tagged Julmiste as the best scrambler in the BE.  Very amusing.  S. Nicholas was on one first team D.  He was second team in the other mag.  J.Peyton was a second teamer in Lindy's.  Surprizingly, Miller made 2nd team in Lindy's.  One of the mags depth charts had Springfield & Toewe as his backup at OT.  I don't believe that's true.

In regards to the other BE rankings, The "BE Corner Stones", WVU, UL, & Pitt are top 50 teams.  I found it intriguing that most here list Rutgers as a win when both of these mags are ranking them 15-20 spots ahead of our FootBulls.  Lindy's had Syracuse at 71, UCONN at 81 or 83, 'Natti at 88.  Most of us hear a listing Rutgers as a win & UCONN as a 50-50 chance.

You'd also be disappointed to find out both mags have us ranked behind 5-6 CUSA teams.  USM was a top 40. They have UAB ranked rather high in the 50s.  Lindy even had Tulane at 76.  Sonza Beaches!

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

A 4-7 season will really drop you in the rankings, and I never thought Julmiste was that mobile to begin with

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,518
  • Days Won:  10

I think we're going to surprise a lot of people this year, based on what the magazines are saying (and on this board, too!).   I personally don't think alot of these mags really look at things closely enough and project based on last year's team and then look at who's returning.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

I think we are far too myopic about our football team.  From the outside looking in I can see why people don't give us much respect.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

the people on this board are not realistic

we suck and are getting worse not better

but bafoons like mikeb think every is just fine with our program.we need a shot of reality into our fans

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,518
  • Days Won:  10

the people on this board are not realistic

we suck and are getting worse not better

but bafoons like mikeb think every is just fine with our program.we need a shot of reality into our fans

Reality will be what happens when they take the field.  You are speculating and refuse to take into consideration increasingly difficult schedules and the chance that position players will be better this year as red-shirts and top recruits take the field for the first time.

Leavitt can't force a blue chip QB to sign.  We weren't in the position in 2004  to attract another one.  Look at this year.  Definate improvement.  You can't deny it or you are kidding yourself.

Look at the facts, not only the win-loss record.  You live in a world of instant gratification, not the reality of growing a football team the right way.

Believe what you want, though.

Guest MADDAD33

Louisville fan here and I got to say USF has been doing a great job recruiting considering how young the program is (D1). Preseason mags like Steeles are pretty acurate but even they will tell you teams ranked 50 to 80 are really toss ups (could go either way). Several of these teams will move up quickly and may even end up ranked at the end of the season. I consider USF to be one headed upwards. I also fear USF as a possible landmine game for my Cards.

I believe USF will surprise alot of people and probably sneak up on a team or two. I just hope my Cards are not one of them. I am honestly hoping the Cards win the Big East this year, but I am sure not going to dimiss the Bulls this year until I have seen them take the field. Go Big East!

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

A 4-7 season will really drop you in the rankings, and I never thought Julmiste was that mobile to begin with

Lindy's suggests that PJ is the best scrambler in the Big East among the QB's.   Hmmmm.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

Lindy's suggests that PJ is the best scrambler in the Big East among the QB's.   Hmmmm.

Wow if this is true maybe we will do better in our first year in the Big East than I anticipated.  lol

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,769
  • Days Won:  3

RTB brings up some very valid points.  Most of us take the "past performance is indicitive of future returns" line of thinking about the team.  This is football...not mutual funds.

While we may have signed some better players and we will have more experience at certain positions,  seven years into the business, we're in good shape.  Personally, those five or so years spent buidling up through IAA, I just write them off. They have no value going forward. And the wins over IA teams - while enjoyable - didn't announce to the world "Hey...USF's in the game ... bring on UF! Yeah, we'll kill 'em!" We beat CUSA teams.  Just part of the evolution.   8)