• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

It's official:  USF Names Offensive Coordinat

Guest S.  Bien
Gregory seems like he's setting himself up for the OC position here... he is qualified...

At a minimum he's a highly qualified coach with tons of experience, more than Hobbie had, which will always help a staff.  This appears like a good pick-up regardless of the Smith situation.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

"i see a train a coming"

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

Gregory seems like he's setting himself up for the OC position here... he is qualified...

That was my first thought also.

Do we know how long of a contract Smith got?

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Well maybe Gregory could at least instill some much needed discipline with his rank in the military.  He better prepare himself though.  These ain't cadets he's gonna be working with.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

From the Trib:

Smith Given Task To Direct USF's Offense

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Jun 1, 2005

TAMPA - When Rod Smith came to the University of South Florida four years ago, he helped install the Bulls' spread attack. Now, Smith is in charge of the offense.

As reported in The Tampa Tribune two weeks ago, Smith was officially named USF's offensive coordinator Tuesday and former Ohio University offensive coordinator Greg Gregory was named tight ends coach.

Smith, 32, will remain USF's quarterbacks coach, a position he's held since 2001.

``It's always exciting, but it doesn't matter who calls the plays,'' said Smith, who was offensive coordinator at Urbana (Ohio) University in 1998-99. ``It will be a group effort of our staff. They are valuable assets. They have a lot of experience I'll tap in and use.

``I realize it will be a lot more responsibility and a lot more work. I've always wanted the opportunity. When you work hard, good things happen.''

A Clemson graduate assistant in 2000 and a West Virginia assistant for three months before coming to USF, Smith said ideally he wants an equal balance running and passing.

``We'll try to get back to being more of a potent offense - scoring points, moving the football, taking care of the football and overall execution will be major points of emphasis,'' Smith said.

Smith added USF's starting quarterback position won't be determined until fall drills.

Gregory, 47, has been out of coaching since 2003 when he was released after three seasons at Ohio. He also was an assistant at Richmond (2000) and Army (1982-96).

``My desire to get back was only at a BCS school,'' said Gregory, who turned down four offers at non-BCS schools the past year. ``The year off gave me a greater perspective as a coach. I know it's a great challenge at USF, but the resources are here to meet the challenge.

``It's a big step up [to the Big East]. In time I believe this can be a championship caliber program.''

Link: http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBJX8DZE9E.html

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

From the St Pete Times:

Bulls promote Rod Smith

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published June 1, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Seeking continuity as his team joins the Big East in the fall, USF coach Jim Leavitt named assistant Rod Smith offensive coordinator Tuesday.

Smith, 32, has been the Bulls' quarterbacks coach and pass-game coordinator the past four seasons. He will be in charge of the no-huddle spread offense, replacing Mike Hobbie, who resigned abruptly last month.

"Rod has done a great job for us for four years as our pass game coordinator," Leavitt said in a statement. USF's passing offense ranked 105th nationally last season, and the Bulls want Smith to bring it back to its 2001 form, when it ranked 13th, averaging 35.2 points and amassing 3,995 passing yards.

The Bulls will be led by senior running back Andre Hall, who broke the school's rushing record with 1,357 yards last season. Freshmen Carlton Hill and Matt Grothe and sophomore Courtney Denson will challenge junior Pat Julmiste for the starting quarterback job.

USF also announced that Gordon "Greg" Gregory, who has spent 15 years as an offensive coordinator at Army, Richmond and Ohio, has joined the offensive staff. Gregory, 47, was out of coaching last year, working in pharmaceutical sales in Ohio, and he happened to stop by USF spring football practice while in town to see a Yankees spring training game.

"I'm happy to be back in coaching," said Gregory, who will instruct tight ends and said he could also help at other positions. "It's going to be a challenge, but I really believe we have the resources to meet that challenge here."

The last time Smith was an offensive coordinator was his first college job at Urbana University, an NAIA school in Ohio. He went there as a graduate assistant, but the head coach hired an offensive coordinator who backed out at the last minute and Smith stepped in as interim coordinator and installed the offense.

Smith, who could not be reached for comment, played quarterback for West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez at Division II Glenville State and rejoined him as a graduate assistant at Clemson in 2000. He followed Rodriguez to West Virginia as a graduate assistant in the spring of 2001 before joining Leavitt's staff at USF.

He comes from coaching bloodlines, having played in high school for his father, Gary, now entering his 29th year as coach at Pendleton County High School in Franklin, W. Va. Smith's uncle, Greg, has spent 25 years as basketball coach in Franklin, and his twin brother Steve is a high school football coach.

While Smith's promotion is a major step in his coaching career, it likely won't result in a significant raise. Smith earned $72,000 last season, just $10,000 less than Hobbie made as offensive coordinator.

Link: http://www.sptimes.com/2005/06/01/Sports/Bulls_promote_Rod_Smi.shtml

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

While Smith's promotion is a major step in his coaching career, it likely won't result in a significant raise. Smith earned $72,000 last season, just $10,000 less than Hobbie made as offensive coordinator.

That about sums it up......

You know what is really funny is I remember people saying spurier would become our next OC

first of all hi ego would never let him be anything but a HC but come on....82k

until we ante up we will be stuck with assistants like smith

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  80
  • Days Won:  0

OK knowledgeable football people, a question.  

The Trib article states Smith will remain QB coach also.  Will he have enough time to spend with the QB's, especially given our relative youth at the position?

Guest BasketBull.

Okay, Bulls, the time for bellyaching is over. USF has made a decision, so let's support the decision and see where it takes us. It's insane to cry and moan about something that cannot be changed for at least nother year. Support your BULLS!