• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF football draft pick history

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

7 hours ago, Triple B said:

Don't need to draft one, just have one on the roster .... we've never won a Super Bowl without one there, you know.

No that won't work. The curse is about the Bucs not drafting a USF player. They signed Jenkins to a nice free agent deal to see if Thad would break the curse but as you know it didn't. I believe the only way the Bucs win another Super Bowl is to draft a USF Bull. 

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

12 hours ago, Triple B said:

Could be mistaken but I'm guessing they were talking about Cook ...

This year it was 100% about Cook. Lets be honest here, the GM wasnt talking about a potential 4th rd pick.

I find it quite humorous that people here questioned the Jenkins story, several articles were posted, and now its "well it was just an over eager kid hearing what he wanted to hear".

Looking back Talib turned out to be the more talented player. At the time it seemed like Jenkins had a lot more of the boxes checked, with the "home town" kid aspect being the icing on the cake.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 hour ago, Capital H said:

I find it quite humorous that people here questioned the Jenkins story, several articles were posted, and now its "well it was just an over eager kid hearing what he wanted to hear".

Looking back Talib turned out to be the more talented player. At the time it seemed like Jenkins had a lot more of the boxes checked, with the "home town" kid aspect being the icing on the cake.

What's humorous about it?  And who's to say that the assertion about MJ being overeager wasn't the thought with those questioning the story all along, for the valid reasons mentioned?

And you may think Jenkins had more "boxes checked," but that's because you're a USF fan and you probably weren't as familiar with Aqib Talib's college career as you were with Mike Jenkins.  I know I wasn't.  I wanted the Bucs to take MJ too, at the time.  But I also know that NFL teams have resources with scouts and access to film and research that message board posters don't, and they clearly valued Talib over Jenkins in the draft.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

2 hours ago, Capital H said:

Those several articles all came from one source, unless you have more info ..... and still waiting for any kind of reason why BA would tell the 20th pick that 2 days before the draft. I'm still thinking the drunk theory makes the most sense ....

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

1 hour ago, GaUSFBull said:

What's humorous about it?  And who's to say that the assertion about MJ being overeager wasn't the thought with those questioning the story all along, for the valid reasons mentioned?

And you may think Jenkins had more "boxes checked," but that's because you're a USF fan and you probably weren't as familiar with Aqib Talib's college career as you were with Mike Jenkins.  I know I wasn't.  I wanted the Bucs to take MJ too, at the time.  But I also know that NFL teams have resources with scouts and access to film and research that message board posters don't, and they clearly valued Talib over Jenkins in the draft.  

Yep, they never miss.  http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/worst-no-1-overall-nfl-draft-picks-041811

1 hour ago, GaUSFBull said:

But I also know that NFL teams have resources with scouts and access to film and research that message board posters don't ...

1 minute ago, Bourbon Bull said:

:facepalm:   

3 hours ago, GaUSFBull said:

First, I didnt give a **** if the Bucs drafted Jenkins from a fan perspective.

Second nothing you said in the second paragraph is any different from what I said about Jenkins/Talib draft status. You just threw a dig in about message board posters, all while arguing against facts about a conversation that happened a decade ago.

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

Those several articles all came from one source, unless you have more info ..... and still waiting for any kind of reason why BA would tell the 20th pick that 2 days before the draft. I'm still thinking the drunk theory makes the most sense ....

I can think of 2 reasons why a GM would tell a pick that in all of 30 seconds:

1. A sign of good faith in what could be a contentious negotiation process
  2. "Leaking" information as a smoke screen hoping the player boasts about it before hand, or tells his agent who will spread the rumor to increase the stock of his client.

I really don't understand why you feel you need to suspend your disbelief over this story. You and pigfacebull make it seem like Jenkins was some Al Bundy retelling his 4 touchdown game. He fell what another 5 picks?

6 minutes ago, Capital H said:

First, I didnt give a **** if the Bucs drafted Jenkins from a fan perspective.

Second nothing you said in the second paragraph is any different from what I said about Jenkins/Talib draft status. You just threw a dig in about message board posters, all while arguing against facts about a conversation that happened a decade ago.

First, you didn't answer my question about what was humorous.  

Second, I didn't realize there was a statute of limitations on message board topics.  We talk about many things that happened over a decade ago.  Maybe we should shut those threads down?

Edit:  Jenkins' assertion that BA told him the Bucs would take him if available does not constitute fact, also.  

Third, you came at the Jenkins/Talib decision by the Bucs from a hindsight status.  I made it clear the Bucs didn't have that benefit and had the resources to make the right choice from the get-go.  I didn't see that in your analysis of the decision.  Maybe it was written in invisible type?  

Edited by GaUSFBull

2 minutes ago, Capital H said:

You and pigfacebull 

Image result for stay classy gif