• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

`Good Guy' Cardieri Ignores The Whispers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

I'm glad Martin brought up the fact his son plays for him...I didn't want to bring that up.  I'm not the parent of a player, but that tells me something is rotten in the state of Denmark (especially when the son hits around the Mendoza line).

Bad facilities, not enough salary?

"At these prices, never underestimate the value of a good guy."  

::sick::

Wrong Answer!

Have the good guy go out and fund raise instead...just get someone that is not willing to buy into the whole underpriveleged ********.

He seems like a nice guy, I don't know - but nice guys belong elsewhere, kick him up to Paschal's old job or something.

Woolard put it best:

"We need to step up ourselves.''  

There can be no excuses.  Improvements in performance need to be made today...and not wait until tomorrow, or next decade.  

For anyone else holding a job (even a "real" job), resources are usually limited and you do not have everything you wished you could have.  Sometimes you just have to quit sobbing and overcome the obstacles.

If we bump the salary, we get a new coach...For any coach or player to make any excuses is a sign that guy has already lost.  We've been too soft for too long.

You just don't get it. This is the equivalent of asking a person to compete in high level combinatorial mathematics competition where everyone has a high powered cluster at their disposal and you are stuck with a circa 1999 workstation. No chance that you are going to win enough to be a serious contender. Sure you may win a couple times by using some savvy tricks that require brains over braun, most of the time you are not going to be much of a  factor.

This has nothing to do with EC. It has to do with USF giving him or the next coach the right resources so they can do the job they are being evaluated on to accomplish. It wasn't  that long ago where we were a  NCAA regulars.

I guess we will agree to disagree, but then I want to see the same amount of incredulity the next 2 seasons when CRM is being handed his head on a platter b/c despite having a Big East calling card for recruiting and increased revenues being pumped into his program, his team is the odd's on leader to be BE #16. I hope I'm wrong b/c I never want to see any USF team lose for some kind of personal validation, however the only people in the country who don't think we'll finish last next year reside on Fowler AVenue.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Rupp (former U. of Tampa skip) from University of Maryland will be our next manager.  

I would hope that if this is true that he has firm committments from the administration for new facilities. Otherwise, I would stick around ACC country until a better job opened up.

You know....if Rupp wants to move back to Florida he might be better off waiting for Jay Bergman to retire. The new C-USA is going to be a very good baseball conference and he is not going to have to convince high schools kids to sign with him despite the obvious step down in facilities in going from high school to college. ::)

You know I have gone off the deep end when I say something about UCF....who still sucks btw....but blows us away in baseball facilities.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

I think we all will agree that there is a limited amount of upper-level baseball talent.  That being said, the competition to get that talent can be challenging.  There are a number of aspects to that competition -- facilities, coaches, degree programs, weather, student life, etc...

However, "it's a simple game.  You throw the ball.  You hit the ball.   You catch the ball."

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

You just don't get it.

It's not that I don't get it, it's that I don't agree.  The disparity in the facilities across the state and/or country does not fully explain where we are today.  It's the sense of "surrender" in your posts that I absolutely refuse to agree with and so too should anyone associated with any program at USF.  When you waive the white flag - and can not overcome the obstacles in the job you applied for - resign!  Doug Woolard knew what he was stepping into and is determined to make a difference, to hell with excuses.

This is the equivalent of asking a person to compete in high level combinatorial mathematics competition where everyone has a high powered cluster at their disposal and you are stuck with a circa 1999 workstation. No chance that you are going to win enough to be a serious contender. Sure you may win a couple times by using some savvy tricks that require brains over braun, most of the time you are not going to be much of a  factor.

Now that, I don't get.

This has nothing to do with EC. It has to do with USF giving him or the next coach the right resources so they can do the job they are being evaluated on to accomplish. It wasn't  that long ago where we were a  NCAA regulars.

"Regulars" is a stretch....Do you mean like regular Top 25 like others in the state?  Or regular Top 64?  Regular implies year to year over at least a generation.  We've not been that.  We've been content to sniff success a few times - and fall back on it when we need to.  

I guess we will agree to disagree, but then I want to see the same amount of incredulity the next 2 seasons when CRM is being handed his head on a platter b/c despite having a Big East calling card for recruiting and increased revenues being pumped into his program, his team is the odd's on leader to be BE #16. I hope I'm wrong b/c I never want to see any USF team lose for some kind of personal validation, however the only people in the country who don't think we'll finish last next year reside on Fowler AVenue.

Well, gee the Sun Dome is 25 years old...  I guess we ought to be proactive and cry a river for RMC before he even starts to struggle in what will be the premier college basketball conference.

20 years we've rode the same horse (pony, burro, dog) in baseball.  We've got little to show for it.  RMC will not get 20 years.  I believe no one should.

We need a change, that is for sure.  Unfortunately a new stadium can't get here fast enough.  I'd love that to be here tomorrow and EC to start winning tomorrow.  However, neither is going to happen.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

Aww... C'mon Bulleiver...

Everyone knows that it's not the coach's fault.   I mean, if we had some decent talent or the defense was better, we wouldn't have to cry about it.

-----

Funny how the argument made about Smith could apply here.

Fine fire his ass and bring in somebody else to work under the same conditions. I betcha nothing really is going to change except that USF baseball is where coaching careers go to die.

Sorry to continue to needle, but what "career" died at USF - EC has had a 20+ year career at USF.  Name a notable coach that came here with a career and died here...

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768

Okay, several points:

1) I seem to recall that our football coach had to recruit out of freakin trailers for years and somehow managed to do a pretty **** fine job with what he had to work with. Using the facilities is a cop out and a poor excuse for almost 20 years of mediocrity.

2) Its unfair and not really relative to compare the plight of USF baseball with USF basketball. Florida is not a basketball state. Many point to the "huge potential" USF football has because of the immense amount of high school talent in the state. Well, the honest truth is that as good as football is, it still doesnt come close to comparing to the amount of high school talent in baseball in the state of florida. The suncoast area alone might be the biggest hotbed in all of the US for baseball. I dont know the numbers, but Id be willing to bet that there will be atleast 50 players from Hillsborough and Pinellas counties that will go to DI schools this year. And that is probably lowballing it. The fact that EC has had virtually no luck at all in convincing the local talent to stay here says volumes about his lack of recruiting ability.

3) Im also tired of hearing the excuse about players EC missed on because they got drafted. This is something EVERY SINGLE COLLEGE TEAM deals with. Its not an excuse..AT ALL.

Its time for EC to go. USF baseball should atleast be able to sniff a chance at the college world series, and should be a mainstay in the regionals.  That is far from the truth, and something we as fans shouldnt accept.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  585
  • Days Won:  0

Sorry to continue to needle, but what "career" died at USF - EC has had a 20+ year career at USF.  Name a notable coach that came here with a career and died here...

Well... I could probably make an argument for Lee Rose...

USFFan

To clarify:

CyberBull said:

USF baseball is where coaching careers go to die.

So I was thinking along the lines of baseball careers...