• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

`Good Guy' Cardieri Ignores The Whispers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,843
  • Days Won:  22

Lee Rose's career ended at USF? If it did it was by his choice.

Lee Rose's 6 yr carrer at USF was 106-69 thats by far the best winning percentage at USF. NO LOSING seasons and THREE post season NIT's with a 2-3 record.

Those are ALL best records at USF

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Sorry to continue to needle, but what "career" died at USF - EC has had a 20+ year career at USF.  Name a notable coach that came here with a career and died here...

If USF is going to increase expectations...fine with me ...I can live with coaching changes. Afterall I grew up a Yankees fan.

However, if we fire EC and don't improve our facilities, whoever we manage to sucker to take over this program is going to suffer the same fate in a couple of years.  We replace that guy with another coach who probably suffer a similar fate.

Bottom line: if you are going to make change....make sure it's going to make  a difference by giving the new guy a chance to succeed.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  585
  • Days Won:  0

Lee Rose's career ended at USF? If it did it was by his choice.

Lee Rose's 6 yr carrer at USF was 106-69 thats by far the best winning percentage at USF. NO LOSING seasons and THREE post season NIT's with a 2-3 record.

Those are ALL best records at USF

Well, that may well be, but he never was a head coach again at either the college or professional level.  It became clear that he wasn't a recruiter.  I'd have loved to have seen what he could have done with BB and Altron, though...

USFFan

If USF is going to increase expectations...fine with me ...I can live with coaching changes. Afterall I grew up a Yankees fan.

However, if we fire EC and don't improve our facilities, whoever we manage to sucker to take over this program is going to suffer the same fate in a couple of years.  We replace that guy with another coach who probably suffer a similar fate.

Bottom line: if you are going to make change....make sure it's going to make  a difference by giving the new guy a chance to succeed.

It's lines like that last one that keep this argument alive.  Cardieri HAS had a chance to succeed.  Has he fully used the USF Baseball Coach's Club?  Has he been given proper incentive to do better?  Even if that incentive is a job at another school, it's more than the lethargy we currently see.  USF still plays the bulk of our games at home.  There's no excuse for dropping a home game to Army or a home series to Eastern Michigan.  That's a lack of motivation.  And I for one refuse to believe that Eastern Michigan has better baseball facilities than we do.

USFFan

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

And I for one refuse to believe that Eastern Michigan has better baseball facilities than we do.

USFFan

Well since you asked.....EMU's stadium looks very nice.  ;)

Look I don't care who the coach is, and maybe EC and USF need to part ways at the conclusion of this season....however I take issue with people who make him the scape goat for everything that ills USF baseball. It is unfair to pin our lack of success solely on EC.

OestrikeStadium3-Color.jpg

EMU has the latest in high tech equipment like a phone in the press box ;^)

http://www.emich.edu/goeagles/facilities/oestrike.html

Well since you asked.....EMU's stadium looks very nice.  ;)

Hmm... well, like I said, the stadium's only a small portion of the "facilities..."

Look I don't care who the coach is, and maybe EC and USF need to part ways at the conclusion of this season....however I take issue with people who make him the scape goat for everything that ills USF baseball. It is unfair to pin our lack of success solely on EC.

OestrikeStadium3-Color.jpg

EMU has the latest in high tech equipment like a phone in the press box ;^)

http://www.emich.edu/goeagles/facilities/oestrike.html

While it may be unfair, it's what comes with being a head coach for two decades.  Ultimately, he's the one who gets the credit and takes the blame.  I am certain that somebody else would be willing to do that, and might also go out and russle up some fans to sit in the stands, too.  When I was an undergrad, the Red was practically full with fans rooting for the Bulls.  Now, not so much.

USFFan

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17

Fact: The baseball facility is well below DI standards.

Fact: Tampa Bay area has plenty of top line baseball talent.

Fact: Present team has plenty of baseball talent (according to a number of scouts attending games).

Fact: Attendance at games is abysmal.

Fact: Over 40,000 students and few attend games ???

Poor facilities are not an excuse for having a mediocre

team. Duke has one of the worst basketball fieldhouses

I've ever been in.

IMO coaching needs to step up and facilities need to be improved yesterday. It's not one or the other.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

The fact is that USF has been a Top 50 team most of the time under EC but that C-USA always has four to five Top 40 teams. So, it's always been a struggle. Regardless of what happens to him, next year USF baseball should do a lot better in the Big East. Even now our RPI is still a respectable #57. There is only one team who will be in the Big East next year who has a better RPI and that is St Johns at #47. Here are some others for comparison: UL #66, ND #69, Rutgers #73 and Pitt #94.

Let UCF knock themselves out in C-USA. :)    

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Fact: The baseball facility is well below DI standards.

Fact: Tampa Bay area has plenty of top line baseball talent.

Fact: Present team has plenty of baseball talent (according to a number of scouts attending games).

Fact: Attendance at games is abysmal.

Fact: Over 40,000 students and few attend games ???

Poor facilities are not an excuse for having a mediocre

team. Duke has one of the worst basketball fieldhouses

I've ever been in.

IMO coaching needs to step up and facilities need to be improved yesterday. It's not one or the other.

My goodness we have a winner.   That final phrase says it all, "It's not one or the other."  It behooves no one to give Cardieri a free pass forever.  I've listened to everyone's points on this subject and I've got a few things to add.

One point that's clearly being overlooked is that eventhough he doesn't have new facilities completed; he does have a new stadium, and additional baseball facilities on the drawing boards, and the Athletic Department was seeking the financing to complete this project.  That's a lot to sell and which will soon render any of his excuses moot.   I understood past years when we had no athletic training facility such as the one we already have in place, and there was no discussions of improving anything to do with baseball.  But now with the new facilities being used by baseball, and all the improvements expected to be completed within the next four years Eddie can now sell to his future recruits the opportunity for them to play in new fancy digs, as well as training in two state-of-the-art complexes.  Although for the life of me that still doesn't explain to me how these facilities would improve our consistent inability to secure key hits, throw prominent pitches, or curb our error totals.

Cardieri should be able to sell the hell out of all this to future recruits, as well as the move to the Big East.  Leavitt sold the new facilities before they were built, he took kids through with hard hats on, he had the plans hanging in his office.  I hope no one needs to draw a road-map for Eddie to explain how things need to be to improve his program.    

To me, everything is already in-place to give an immediate pop in recruiting.  Although I've never seen it as a recruiting issue with this program, over the past five years it's always been an ability to optimize the output of his players.  They seem to win games, and are capable of beating anyone, but it's inconsistent, and often our losses come at our own hands and not the opposition.

But I suppose the better dug outs might help the players focus better....

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Although for the life of me that still doesn't explain to me how these facilities would improve our consistent inability to secure key hits, throw prominent pitches, or curb our error totals.  

Better Digs = Higher Ranked &  Better Developed Recruits = Better Players = Mo' Consistent Play = More Wins = Post Season Appearances...not to mention a weaker baseball conference.