• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

the smith hire says

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

A search was done, and the applicants were not more qualified.  How many times does it need to be explained to you that this wasn't a plum opportunity and no one was lining up to take it.  Therefore, Smith was the best, and possibly only real plausible option at this point.  Regardless of mine or your feelings regarding him.  

It's difficult if everything needs to be spelled out for you in blatant terms.  

bien, I'm not an idiot like you seem to think. Yes a search was done and by your own admission we were left with little if no option since a)the timing was so late that very few would be available (which I have agreed with you about time and time again) and b)the field was even more narrow since Leavitt would only pick someone who ran his offense. So I never said there wasn't a search, I said there wasn't a PROPER search done. ie...make Smith or someone interim (yes I know you hate the term but I still don't see the need to make a complete comitment) coach and do a PROPER search next year when at least one of those roadblocks are gone. Given the proper time of the year to allow for an in depth search of all available options I think is very fair to say there would be more qualified candidates. Will there be many who are more qualified AND agree to strictly adhere to Leavitts ideal? Maybe not but we've already discussed our feelings on that issue.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

Bullheaded, remember the South Park episode where they had the election for the school mascot and they had to pick between a Turd Sandwich and a Giant Douchebag.  Well if that Turd Sandwich and that Giant Douchebag both put in for the OC position here at USF CJL would apparently back whichever one he could control and keep in his back pocket.  And in turn Bien would be right there telling us how great this Giant Douchebag is and how we should give him a chance, and trust in CJL.  Bien is a company man, dont let him get to you.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

Turd.jpg

"I can't believe you choose that douchebag over me"

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

spence- how true

Bullheaded, remember the South Park episode where they had the election for the school mascot and they had to pick between a Turd Sandwich and a Giant Douchebag.  Well if that Turd Sandwich and that Giant Douchebag both put in for the OC position here at USF CJL would apparently back whichever one he could control and keep in his back pocket.  And in turn Bien would be right there telling us how great this Giant Douchebag is and how we should give him a chance, and trust in CJL.  Bien is a company man, dont let him get to you.

LOL, I'm never going to be able to look at smith the same way again!

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

bien, I'm not an idiot like you seem to think. Yes a search was done and by your own admission we were left with little if no option since a)the timing was so late that very few would be available (which I have agreed with you about time and time again) and b)the field was even more narrow since Leavitt would only pick someone who ran his offense. So I never said there wasn't a search, I said there wasn't a PROPER search done. ie...make Smith or someone interim (yes I know you hate the term but I still don't see the need to make a complete comitment) coach and do a PROPER search next year when at least one of those roadblocks are gone. Given the proper time of the year to allow for an in depth search of all available options I think is very fair to say there would be more qualified candidates. Will there be many who are more qualified AND agree to strictly adhere to Leavitts ideal? Maybe not but we've already discussed our feelings on that issue.

Good gosh, I can understand Spence, he's just sorta out there, but I expected more from you.

First you put me on the defensive about 'defending Smith, and how I was contradicting myself'.  Then once I explain WHY I WASN'T REALLY CONTRADICTING MYSELF, IT WAS JUST THE CIRCUMSTANCES MAY MAKE IT SEEM SO HOWEVER THE OPINIONS HAVEN'T VARIED (this was in caps because I am trying like hell to get your attention).  Then, you come back with this drivel that basically reiterated my stance, and whined about the poignancy of my previous posts.

Your post above just repeated my position, and then you agreed with it (which really haS my head spinning), but then you proceeded to make about a half-dozen assumptions (by my count) why Leavitt made a bad move.  None of which you can substantiate, none of which make much sense, like this beaut'; make Smith or someone interim (yes I know you hate the term but I still don't see the need to make a complete comitment)  Just because the Tribune didn't mention the word 'interim', and Leavitt isn't officially labeling him as such, doesn't mean that isn't what has transpired.  However, could it be that you don't know it because Leavitt's keeping it quiet, again, for the sake of the team.  Heaven for bid a HC puts the state of his team before placating the emotions of some uninformed fans.

Here's another little diddy; and do a PROPER search next year when at least one of those roadblocks are gone.  First you assume that the 'interim' tag wasn't placed on Smith just because the general public wasn't informed, and Smith isn't qualified to run this offense, an offense he knows like the back of his hand.  NOW, you follow it up with assuming that a "PROPER" search won't be performed next year.   Did Leavitt whisper this into your ear?  Can you see the future?  Could we wait to see how the 'interim' OC performs before deducing that we need to perform a "PROPER" search.

I would love to end this rebuttal, however, I've got to inquire about this line from you; Given the proper time of the year to allow for an in depth search of all available options I think is very fair to say there would be more qualified candidates   All I can say this one is, "No kidding."  My previous point, if you had spent time to read it, didn't contemplate that there wasn't better candidates out there, or maybe even quasi-available.  NO, my point was that Smith was the best option from the candidates they had and the opportunity available.  I am sure next spring, given a proper time, and notice a more qualified candidate could easily be ascertained.  HOWEVER, that wasn't the point, issue, or question, AND, quite possibly at that time Smith will be the best possible candidate- as he stands today.

I guess we shall wait and see.  Let's just agree to disagree- which I can't tell from your last post if we disagree or agree.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3

Something to think about:

Smith was hired in 2001 to install Clemson's Offense:

Done, Smith runs the Offense because he knows it, Hobbie has the title but is learning the system. Gradually Hobbie takes over. Offense system changes gradually...Offense numbers fall.

Hobbie resigns, USF goes back to Smith to run Hurry up Offense.

Don't get me wrong, Coach Hobbie is a good guy, but maybe he just wasn't up to all of this.

SO before you guys get all excited about the hire, just sit back and see what happens. Don't blame someone who did not have anything to do with that operation in last two years.

Good gosh, I can understand Spence, he's just sorta out there, but I expected more from you.

First you put me on the defensive about 'defending Smith, and how I was contradicting myself'.  Then once I explain WHY I WASN'T REALLY CONTRADICTING MYSELF, IT WAS JUST THE CIRCUMSTANCES MAY MAKE IT SEEM SO HOWEVER THE OPINIONS HAVEN'T VARIED (this was in caps because I am trying like hell to get your attention).  Then, you come back with this drivel that basically reiterated my stance, and whined about the poignancy of my previous posts.

Your post above just repeated my position, and then you agreed with it (which really haS my head spinning), but then you proceeded to make about a half-dozen assumptions (by my count) why Leavitt made a bad move.  None of which you can substantiate, none of which make much sense, like this beaut'; make Smith or someone interim (yes I know you hate the term but I still don't see the need to make a complete comitment)  Just because the Tribune didn't mention the word 'interim', and Leavitt isn't officially labeling him as such, doesn't mean that isn't what has transpired.  However, could it be that you don't know it because Leavitt's keeping it quiet, again, for the sake of the team.  Heaven for bid a HC puts the state of his team before placating the emotions of some uninformed fans.

Here's another little diddy; and do a PROPER search next year when at least one of those roadblocks are gone.  First you assume that the 'interim' tag wasn't placed on Smith just because the general public wasn't informed, and Smith isn't qualified to run this offense, an offense he knows like the back of his hand.  NOW, you follow it up with assuming that a "PROPER" search won't be performed next year.   Did Leavitt whisper this into your ear?  Can you see the future?  Could we wait to see how the 'interim' OC performs before deducing that we need to perform a "PROPER" search.

I would love to end this rebuttal, however, I've got to inquire about this line from you; Given the proper time of the year to allow for an in depth search of all available options I think is very fair to say there would be more qualified candidates   All I can say this one is, "No kidding."  My previous point, if you had spent time to read it, didn't contemplate that there wasn't better candidates out there, or maybe even quasi-available.  NO, my point was that Smith was the best option from the candidates they had and the opportunity available.  I am sure next spring, given a proper time, and notice a more qualified candidate could easily be ascertained.  HOWEVER, that wasn't the point, issue, or question, AND, quite possibly at that time Smith will be the best possible candidate- as he stands today.

I guess we shall wait and see.  Let's just agree to disagree- which I can't tell from your last post if we disagree or agree.

yes, I repeated alot of what you said. That was on purpose to explain why based on YOUR reasoning a proper search was not conducted.

As far as the interim tag, I don't even recall what the tribune said. I mentioned earlier (in one of these **** threads) simply that I don't know why they didn't make it an interim decision. That was just questioning and you said they couldn't do that because of various reasons so I was actually going by your comments not the trib. If you think that what I and others feel should happen is what is really happening then why on earth do you spend so much time calling us all ignorant and defending a position you feel isn't really the true situation. If you think this is an interim situation done in private then just say so.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

SO before you guys get all excited about the hire, just sit back and see what happens.

I think you're a wee bit late with that cogent piece of advice ........

Don't blame someone who did not have anything to do with that operation in last two years.

They will disagree wholeheartedly about his non-contribution. They'll say that Smith was solely responsible for teaching Banks that having happy feet is a valuable asset for the qb positon and that he kept drilling it into PJ's head that the best target when throwing to a receiver is anywhere but the numbers ....... preferrably the ankles or an imaginary spot 24 inches above the helmet.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

yes, I repeated alot of what you said. That was on purpose to explain why based on YOUR reasoning a proper search was not conducted.

As far as the interim tag, I don't even recall what the tribune said. I mentioned earlier (in one of these **** threads) simply that I don't know why they didn't make it an interim decision. That was just questioning and you said they couldn't do that because of various reasons so I was actually going by your comments not the trib. If you think that what I and others feel should happen is what is really happening then why on earth do you spend so much time calling us all ignorant and defending a position you feel isn't really the true situation. If you think this is an interim situation done in private then just say so.

Uh, you need help.  You really need help.  You're not making any sense, and you're arguing points that aren't even up for debate?

Good lord, your bullheadedness has shut-off your cognitive abilities.