• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brumbaugh ready to announce plans

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

call me when he signs at usf

i ain't waiting

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

Huh?

The Big 12 put as many teams (six) in the NCAA tourney as the Big East did this year, and they actually have more teams in the RPI top-100 than the Big East (10 to 9.) The Big 12 is just below the Big East in the Conference RPI (2nd & 3rd, overall) and the overall league strength of schedule for the Big 12 is slightly higher than the Big East.

Where the Big East has the advantage is media exposure, although I really doubt USF will be getting as much exposure next year as say, Syracuse or UConn gets.

Okay, I would agree that USF won't get the same exposure as Syracuse or UConn... but it will probably get the same exposure as Oklahoma State...

Now, for the comparisons...

NCAA:

- The New Big East had 7 teams in the conference: Louisville, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Connecticut, Villanova, & West Virginia... (Big 12 did have 6)...

- The New Big East was 11-7 in the tournament, the Big 12 was 6-6...

- 33% of the Big 12 teams lost in the opening round...

- 15% of the New Big Eas teams lost in the opening round...

- New Big East had 3 in the Sweet 16, Big 12 had 2...

RPI:

- Big 12 has 3 in Top 25, the New Big East has 5...

- Big 12 has 4 in Top 50, the New Big East has 7...

- Big 12 has 9 in Top 100, the New Big East has 10...

- The Big 12's lowest (#284 Baylor) is lower than the New Big East's (#200 St. John's)...

Sources:

NCAA Tourney: http://www.ncaasports.com/basketball/mens/brackets/viewable/2005/DI

RPI numbers... http://rpiratings.com/mensrpi.html

Rankings:

Big 12 had 4 teams in the final ESPN/USA Today Top 25, New Big East had 6...

Big 12 had same 4 teams in the fina AP Top 25, New Big East had 5...

So, these numbers at least show that the Big East is better than the Big 12...

In the end, though, the conventional wisdom is that the Big East is more challenging that the Big 12.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Okay, I would agree that USF won't get the same exposure as Syracuse or UConn... but it will probably get the same exposure as Oklahoma State...

Doubtful. OK St is a marquee team that has gone deep in the tourney and has a marquee head coach. USF will get about as much exposure as any lower-tier BE team, which isn't as much as OK St.

Anyway, I don't think this kid is going to make a spash like say, Carmelo Anthony or somebody of that caliber regardless of where he plays for a year. If he was "all that" we wouldn't be having this discussion. If he's lucky and works his tail off he'll have as much success as Larry Hughes.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Can you do that as a HS senior though? I thought you could only declare-and-return as a collegian. I'm not up on NBA rules.

And even if he can do that, it's a stupid thing to do because he can only declare-and-return once. If he decides to declare for the draft again after 1-3 years of college, he will not have the option to return, agent or not agent.

I hope this isn't another Taj McDavid story.

Interesting article. I couldn't copy and paste it for some reason:

http://www.draftcity.com/dcdaily.php?p=325

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

Brumbaugh ready to announce plans

From Staff Reports

Posted May 19, 2005

Keith Brumbaugh, who departed from DeLand High in March to explore his options as an NBA prospect, returns Friday to talk about his basketball future.

The Florida Mr. Basketball award winner will hold a news conference Friday after school to clarify his intentions. Brumbaugh , a 6-foot-8 forward declared for the pro draft last week from Houston, where he has been working out with former NBA point guard and coach John Lucas.

Unless he signs with an agent, Brumbaugh can pull his name out a week before the June 28 draft and turn to college basketball. Speculation is building that Oklahoma State has a shot at landing Brumbaugh if he does not go pro. Lucas' son starred for the Cowboys.

Throughout his senior season Brumbaugh said he would stay in-state if he does not go pro, but some of those options appear to have closed.

FSU completed its 2005 signing class Monday when it landed 6-9 power forward Uche Echefu out of Rockville (Md.) Montrose Christian. And indications are the UF has backed away from Brumbaugh.

"I know South Florida would love to have him and Southern Cal had been calling," said Gus Gibbs, the DeLand businessman who was Brumbaugh's guardian for almost three years until the 18-year-old moved into his own apartment last December.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-spthsbeat19051905may19,0,6078739.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines

How will we know when he decides?

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

I am waiting for HowieP to chime in with some news on his signing.

The over under on Brumbaugh's official statement and Howie's post is -2 minutes.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

in the article it says he left school in march... so how does he graduate??  

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

Keith formally announced his decision to enter the draft today, without an agent.  No word on where he will go if he doesn't get drafted but did mention USF and Ok State.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

being mentioned is a good thing, if nothing else... free pub