• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

is there anyone here against this hire?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 minute ago, Apis Bull said:

link?

Effects of dismissals linger for Charlie Strong

Other coaches have tried to portray Strong as tyrant to recruits.

Story highlights
  • Strong said meeting with Goodell made for good press
  • Coaches used Strong's core values to recruit against Texas
  • Strong dismissed 10 players last season

http://www.hookem.com/story/effects-of-dismissals-linger-for-charlie-strong/

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

14 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

I just posted an article about the facts surrounding the shake-up. he kicked 10 players off. 8 of them likely for smoking pot.

all of that turmoil was caused by him.

with the exception of 2,these weren't players that were arrested. they just didn't follow his code of conduct. good for him for standing on his high ground but then don't act like he had nothing to do with the gutting of that program.heck if OSU or Alabama kicked players off for smoking pot they would gut their programs too.

Fact - he was left with 5 NFL draft picks on his defense

Fact - he was left with a doak walker award winner in his backfield

Fact - they were 7-2 in conference the year before he took over

Fact - he lost to Kansas in his 3rd year

I'm not saying he can't have success here. I hope he does. Just saying I don't think it's the slam dunk hire many on here think

Who would you have rather USF hired? That is the real question. It is one thing to highlight the lack of success that he had at Texas. Everyone is aware of that. There were a variety of things that factored in to why his formula didn't work there; some his doing, some outside of his control. But if you are going to be a contrarian at least point out who you think would be a better fit/hire. 

Also, while you are talking about his 5 NFL draft picks on defense that he inherited at Texas, read below. The guy can flat-out recruit. 11-2 and 12-1 his last two seasons at Louisville and then 14 NFL draft picks left behind and the next coach couldn't win 10 games. 

"With 10 draft picks, the Cardinals only ranked behind the Florida State Seminoles, which led with 11 overall picks, and the same number of combined selections from the Oregon Ducksand the Ohio State Buckeyes, the two teams that played for the national championship back in January.

After Louisville had three first-round draft picks last season, there have now been 14 players selected from Texas head coach Charlie Strong's former program in the last two years, a remarkable number when considering that the school produced only 25 total draft picks over the 10 years leading up to 2014."

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I like him even more after that article 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Just now, BullyPulpit said:

Who would you have rather USF hired? That is the real question. It is one thing to highlight the lack of success that he had at Texas. Everyone is aware of that. There were a variety of things that factored in to why his formula didn't work there; some his doing, some outside of his control. But if you are going to be a contrarian at least point out who you think would be a better fit/hire. 

Also, while you are talking about his 5 NFL draft picks on defense that he inherited at Texas, read below. The guy can flat-out recruit. 11-2 and 12-1 his last two seasons at Louisville and then 14 NFL draft picks left behind and the next coach couldn't win 10 games. 

"With 10 draft picks, the Cardinals only ranked behind the Florida State Seminoles, which led with 11 overall picks, and the same number of combined selections from the Oregon Ducksand the Ohio State Buckeyes, the two teams that played for the national championship back in January.

After Louisville had three first-round draft picks last season, there have now been 14 players selected from Texas head coach Charlie Strong's former program in the last two years, a remarkable number when considering that the school produced only 25 total draft picks over the 10 years leading up to 2014."

clint hurtt was national recruiter of the year at UofL. he was given a show cause for cheating while at miami.

I wanted Clemson OC. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

4 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I like him even more after that article 

Me too!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 minute ago, Apis Bull said:

Me too!

I like how he didn't want to keep players convicted of sexual assault on the roster. That was a solid coaching move.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Bull94 said:

clint hurtt was national recruiter of the year at UofL. he was given a show cause for cheating while at miami.

I wanted Clemson OC. 

Charlie Strong's recruiting chops are well documented as well, so it wasn't all Hurtt. 

So you wanted to take a shot-in-the-dark with Clemson's OC who has exactly 2 years experience as a "co-coordinator" and 1 year as a high school head coach? CWT and company did a remarkable job rebuilding our program and I would feel uneasy giving the keys to this car to a guy who still has a learner's permit. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

When does he start? :)

Also, I'm not saying that Scott won't be an amazing head coach one day, I'm just illustrating that you can poke holes and find flaws in any candidates' resume.