• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SportsTalkFlorida.com shed an interesting light today...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Just now, Gismo said:

Why does it always have to be about race?

It doesn't.  But in this case, it plays a role...Dungy said it himself.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

9 minutes ago, NCBull said:

We/USF fans and media made it about race also.  Not long ago Collin wrote that article essintialy saying that CWT being a black coach could care for and relate to black families and recruits in a way that a white coach could not.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ArmyBull said:

We/USF fans and media made it about race also.  Not long ago Collin wrote that article essintialy saying that CWT being a black coach could care for and relate to black families and recruits in a way that a white coach could not.   

Yep, it just is what it is in our culture today.  If anyone thinks having a charismatic young black coach didnt factor in to Oregon's decision to hire a guy with an overall losing record, they're deluding themselves.  And yes, the black part mattered...and it should, when the majority of 4/5* recruits are black.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687

4 minutes ago, NCBull said:

Total ********. Everything with Dungy these days seems to be about race. Whether that is the media or Dungy, I do not know, but the only time I hear the mans name anymore it is tied to something about race. When Texas A&M and Texas have black coaches can we agree that racial prejudice in hiring is no longer a barrier for aspiring black coaches? That is the truth of the matter. Giving endorsements to coaches just because they are black, a race based endorsement instead of a merit based endorsement, is biased, and diminishes the accomplishments of those coaches. If every black coach gets Dungy's endorsement, then the endorsement has no meaning. If you want a character based society stop placing race into every discussion. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Gismo said:

Total ********. Everything with Dungy these days seems to be about race. Whether that is the media or Dungy, I do not know, but the only time I hear the mans name anymore it is tied to something about race. When Texas A&M and Texas have black coaches can we agree that racial prejudice in hiring is no longer a barrier for aspiring black coaches? That is the truth of the matter. Giving endorsements to coaches just because they are black, a race based endorsement instead of a merit based endorsement, is biased, and diminishes the accomplishments of those coaches. If every black coach gets Dungy's endorsement, then the endorsement has no meaning. If you want a character based society stop placing race into every discussion. 

I replied above to another post while you were typing that relates to this.  Ask any one of our current Bulls if xCWT being black made a difference to them at all.  You'll find unanimous assent.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

1 minute ago, Gismo said:

No, we cannot.  It's still an issue.  I'm all for hiring based on merit and race should not play a factor in it, but let's not pretend that prejudice doesn't still exist.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

It matters to a degree, but Saban, Harbaugh, and Myer are not exactly worried about losing five star recruits to the black coach at USF.  

6 minutes ago, ArmyBull said:

This is probably true to some extent and if anything that is an advantage black coaches have, all else being equal, over a white coach, but I'm sure it depends on where a coach recruits and individual personalities. Did it help Charlie Strong at Texas or has it been a major factor for Sumlin at Texas A&M? Maybe on occasion but it hasn't been a cornerstone of their success or failure it seems. Maybe at their earlier coaching stops it played a larger role. 

But racial prejudice in hiring as a barrier for black coaches? I think society is way beyond that, race is just not going to change a coaching hire today. If someone is a great recruiter because they are black, the hiring decision will still be based on a history of successful recruiting, not race. 

8 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

No, we cannot.  It's still an issue.  I'm all for hiring based on merit and race should not play a factor in it, but let's not pretend that prejudice doesn't still exist.

Prejudice is not changing any coaching hiring decisions today. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, NCBull said:

I replied above to another post while you were typing that relates to this.  Ask any one of our current Bulls if xCWT being black made a difference to them at all.  You'll find unanimous assent.

And what does that do for Taggart, it helps him build a track record of recruiting success and recruiting allcolades. When the next coaching gig is up he gets hired because of his successful track record, not his race. The employer doesn't look at his race and say, hire him, they look at his recruiting record. And when a strong correlation between race and recruiting record is established, then race becomes subconscious marker for potential recruiting success. The hiring metric remains recruiting performance. 

• Downvote 1