• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SportsTalkFlorida.com shed an interesting light today...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  20
  • Days Won:  0

35 minutes ago, Gismo said:

Why does it always have to be about race?

You can count the number of black head coaches that have been given a second chance on 1 finger.  I don't think race can be ignored.

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Gismo said:

Total ********. Everything with Dungy these days seems to be about race. Whether that is the media or Dungy, I do not know, but the only time I hear the mans name anymore it is tied to something about race. When Texas A&M and Texas have black coaches can we agree that racial prejudice in hiring is no longer a barrier for aspiring black coaches? That is the truth of the matter. Giving endorsements to coaches just because they are black, a race based endorsement instead of a merit based endorsement, is biased, and diminishes the accomplishments of those coaches. If every black coach gets Dungy's endorsement, then the endorsement has no meaning. If you want a character based society stop placing race into every discussion. 

Race is not a barrier?  There's around 15 or less black head coaches.  Only 1 black head coach that has lost his job has ever been given a second chance.  Easy for you to say that race isn't a barrier.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

We're into Mad Cow territory...an important topic, to be sure, but not on the Main Board probably.  Gismo, you wanna take this outside? ;)

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

10 minutes ago, Gismo said:

Prejudice is not changing any coaching hiring decisions today. 

Maybe not today, but it has in the past and will in the future.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687

2 minutes ago, South said:

Race is not a barrier?  There's around 15 or less black head coaches.  Only 1 black head coach that has lost his job has ever been given a second chance.  Easy for you to say that race isn't a barrier.

15 head coaches in what league? 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Gismo said:

15 head coaches in what league? 

More than 90% of FBS coaches are white.  In a place where only around 40% of the players are.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159

7 minutes ago, NCBull said:

We're into Mad Cow territory...an important topic, to be sure, but not on the Main Board probably.  Gismo, you wanna take this outside? ;)

If it's helpful, I started a thread in the Mad Cow Lounge for this...PM me if you need the password to get in.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687

15 minutes ago, South said:

More than 90% of FBS coaches are white.  In a place where only around 40% of the players are.

With time those players will grow into coaches. If most coaches are in their 50s and 60s, they were college players in the 70s and 80s. 

Some web searching shows that in 1970 a little more than 30% of NFL players were black. Today it is more than 70%. 

Its 2016, I was born in the 80s. I just don't see race as an issue the way it was in the history books and the way many bring it up. I see black coaches being hired at Texas and Texas A&M when I attended Texas A&M. I see USF hire Taggart and he is successful and hired at Oregon. And Charlie Strong is USFs number one target. Is it any surprise I witness that and don't think race is a barrier today? To me those hires are evidence that past barriers from racial prejudice are not present today. That will be my last word on the subject.

Edited by Gismo

• Content Count:  15

37 minutes ago, South said:

You can count the number of black head coaches that have been given a second chance on 1 finger.  I don't think race can be ignored.

Tyrone Willingham?

Strong will get another one, as would Sumlin and Shaw if they got canned.  While a definite problem, you can't ignore the fact that a lot of them got mid to low-tier jobs and did awful.  That's going to be hard for anybody to get another HC offer immediately.

I mean what did Mike London, Mike Locksley or Curtis Johnson do to "deserve" another chance?

Edited by Bulls&Hogs

20 minutes ago, Bulls&Hogs said:

Tyrone Willingham?

Strong will get another one, as would Sumlin and Shaw if they got canned.  While a definite problem, you can't ignore the fact that a lot of them got mid to low-tier jobs and did awful.  That's going to be hard for anybody to get another HC offer immediately.

I mean what did Mike London, Mike Locksley or Curtis Johnson do to "deserve" another chance?

That is another part of the problem.  Most of the time, they are given less of a chance to even succeed because they have to take the crap jobs just to get a chance in the first place.  I think the only exceptions I remember are Charlie Strong and Ty Willingham.  However in both cases those schools were near an all time low.