• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SportsTalkFlorida.com shed an interesting light today...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  15
  • Days Won:  0

Just now, South said:

That is another part of the problem.  Most of the time, they are given less of a chance to even succeed because they have to take the crap jobs just to get a chance in the first place.  I think the only exceptions I remember are Charlie Strong and Ty Willingham.  However in both cases those schools were near an all time low.

yeah, I can agree with this.

• Upvote 1

• Content Count:  20

44 minutes ago, Gismo said:

With time those players will grow into coaches. If most coaches are in their 50s and 60s, they were college players in the 70s and 80s. 

Some web searching shows that in 1970 a little more than 30% of NFL players were black. Today it is more than 70%. 

Its 2016, I was born in the 80s. I just don't see race as an issue the way it was in the history books and the way many bring it up. I see black coaches being hired at Texas and Texas A&M when I attended Texas A&M. I see USF hire Taggart and he is successful and hired at Oregon. And Charlie Strong is USFs number one target. Is it any surprise I witness that and don't think race is a barrier today? To me those hires are evidence that past barriers from racial prejudice are not present today. That will be my last word on the subject.

In 1985, 52% of NFL players were black.  That was 31 years ago with average player age of around 25 years old.  That would make the average NFL player in 1985 in his mid 50's now.  The numbers just don't add up.  Think about this.  You can probably name every single black head coaching candidate for all schools in FBS.  I wonder if you could name all the white ones.

*edit - Just to note, I believe you when you say you don't see race as an issue.  I just don't think you understand that the old "guys" in charge still do.

Edited by South
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mizzou said:

Tony Dungy views everything through the prism of race and is only interested in the advancement of black coaches.

Why shouldn't he be interested in the advancement of black coaches?  Why aren't you?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

4 minutes ago, Mizzou said:

So you're saying I should look at race as a consideration for a job? 

Of course you should race someone for a job.

4 minutes ago, Mizzou said:

So you're saying I should look at race as a consideration for a job? 

I'm saying, when its unfairly difficult for 1 race to get a certain job you might want to support those trying to help instead of hating on them.  They're already going uphill just to get the interview.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

5 hours ago, TheBullies said:

Dungy said it in a recent interview, when he's called on to give his opinion of Willie, is he supposed to lie?

No, of course not.  But when you're perceived to be a rep for the guy and not a supporter of the school, they call you.  That's it.  He's not a supporter of the school.  They wouldn't call Harlan or a true supporter of the school - a donor - to ask about taking the coach.  He did nothing wrong, just quit confusing him as any type of true supporter of USF Football.  He's not.

4 hours ago, Rocky Style said:

Hey Brad, I Google'd "How to leave a gang" and I got all the facts.

It looks like you can't get beaten or sexed out. You can only do that to get in. One person suggested calling the local authorities and asking for the gang task force from a secured line. Now here's where it gets tricky. They are going to try to get you to give information. DON'T DO THIS because the gang will find out and kill you. You want to basically go into witness protection and move across the country.

Oh also, don't tell anyone in the gang that you want to leave or they will definitely kill you.

Hope that helps!

:roflmao:  Thanks, I shall proceed cautiously - I'll share with the Harlans.  But I better not get caught.

3 hours ago, NCBull said:

It doesn't.  But in this case, it plays a role...Dungy said it himself.

Because no one will challenge that.  

I think other grown ups have found themselves in a position where they can't comment due to conflict of interest.  Tony abandoned USF (If in fact he ever really cared), hence having no remaining conflict of interest.  That's one reason any comparison to LRS is outrageous.  LRS 1000 times the man.

• Upvote 1

:offtopic:

Now that I have read through, if there is a discussion elsewhere, please link it.

As long as we remain considerate, I don't mind the "off-topic" discussion because it is part of the Dungy dilemma.  We've had these type conversations where we can discuss sensitive issues productively.

I'd prefer we remain on topic, however.  My three "black coach" based threads were self-deleted to support staying on topic. :12_slight_smile:

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

18 minutes ago, Brad said:

I think other grown ups have found themselves in a position where they can't comment due to conflict of interest.  Tony abandoned USF (If in fact he ever really cared), hence having no remaining conflict of interest. That's one reason any comparison to LRS is outrageous.  LRS 1000 times the man.

The main reason the comparison is outrageous is that Lee Roy was a USF employee ... and saying that LRS is 1000 times the man Dungy is is outrageous on its own. You are way too young for this bitter, old man binge you've been on.

• Upvote 1