• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Preparing for Navy: Happy Birthday! A history of the US service's beginnings and role in our independence

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Just now, GaUSFBull said:

Historical accuracy is important.  Based on the example you gave, I'd be willing to bet there are more errors throughout the passage above.  

I don't think anyone is deliberately trying to deceive. This is what you get when you have professional writers, editors, etc. writing history. Happens all the time in encyclopedias, high school text books, PR puff pieces...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Yeah, clearly the dude meant well - the article above is otherwise well-written, just maybe a little loose with the facts, which I agree was probably done innocuously.  

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  36
  • Days Won:  0

The original Brexit.  

I am not a historian and do not know how accurate the article is. Sorry if misleading. I thought it was interesting that the representatives made a statement on their decision and gave time to discuss dissenting views.   Brings home how complex it is to govern and compromise on difficult solutions (and only time can tell if the decisions are good ones).  

Also just nice to read something good about our country. 

I'm still for dismantling Navy on Oct 28th! Go Bulls 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

No worries, Palliatibull.  I didn't think you were the author and I wasn't blaming you for anything.  It was still a good read.  

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7

Lest we forget, the Continental Marines (predecessor to the USMC) were established Nov 11, 1775 to support the Continental Navy.   The first US projection of power overseas and Marine landing on a hostile shore occurred when a force of Marines under Captain Samuel Nicholas captured New Province Island in the Bahamas from the British in March 1776. From the Halls of Montezuma ( Battle of Chapultepec, Mexico, 1847) to the shores of Tripoli (Barbary Pirates, 1805) and the battles listed on the walls around the Navy Marine Corps Memorial Stadium, this is the Services history.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Go Navy, Beat Army, Lose to USF!!

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7

Good taste, charsibb, mostly.  Even after fourteen years (soon to be fifteen) beating the Woops just NEVER gets old.  Even a victory over Houston, as thrilling as it is, is pale in comparison (in our little service academy football world).  Gotta say, Go Navy, Kick Army's Ass (again).  

Now, back to USF football and Navy's visit.  Many Navy fans think USF is the only significant hurdle remaining to winning the AAC West.  You guys have a lots  of new fans in Houston which you will see if you visit their Scout board.  Memphis also.  Had no idea USF had such a national following. But we true fans of the Goat know in our hearts that Navy is Navy.  This years team has more and different personalities than Eve had faces.  Pacemakers are routinely issued to help fans hearts get through every endgame.  Here's to USF and your team.  Looking forward to a great game and first ever Navy victory in Tampa.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

4 hours ago, 71GoatsDoRoam said:

Good taste, charsibb, mostly.  Even after fourteen years (soon to be fifteen) beating the Woops just NEVER gets old.  Even a victory over Houston, as thrilling as it is, is pale in comparison (in our little service academy football world).  Gotta say, Go Navy, Kick Army's Ass (again).  

Now, back to USF football and Navy's visit.  Many Navy fans think USF is the only significant hurdle remaining to winning the AAC West.  You guys have a lots  of new fans in Houston which you will see if you visit their Scout board.  Memphis also.  Had no idea USF had such a national following. But we true fans of the Goat know in our hearts that Navy is Navy.  This years team has more and different personalities than Eve had faces.  Pacemakers are routinely issued to help fans hearts get through every endgame.  Here's to USF and your team.  Looking forward to a great game and first ever Navy victory in Tampa.

Have to respectfully disagree with you on the hopes for the outcome, but here's to an honorable hard-fought contest with zero injuries.

:guinness: