• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Fix it all at once

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Bigger than USF Football?  You mean like anything else Saturdays at noon?  No one said that. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

8 minutes ago, Brad said:

Bigger than USF Football?  You mean like anything else Saturdays at noon?  No one said that. 

If you're placing your feelings for CJL over supporting USF football that's the way it would appear ..... maybe my terminology is off.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Somebody has built every single college football program in existence.  Not all of the architects are acknowledged in every case, especially ones that are dismissed (however undeservedly) in the manner that ours was. 

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

BU

53 minutes ago, Triple B said:

As much as I love what CJL did, he's not bigger than USF football and using that as an excuse for not supporting the program just seems tome to be, for lack of a better way to put it, bush league ...

Disagree.  Nothing done by anyone with exception of LRS and a few others, including if we win a bush league conference, can match what he did.  I stopped going to games for other personal reasons around the time of Taggert's hire.  Bought season tickets back channel through the skippy years in protest and let them know every time they called.  "Firing" Woolard was a good step IMO.  I didn't feel this way though until the civil law suit, I was willing to let the process work.  First game back in 3 years was NIU, enjoyed it and caught the bug again.

I traveled to road games when we were 1-AA, traveled to many away marque and conference games in CUSA, Big East, and prior.  I'm the guy Brad is mentioning, and it ain't bush league whining.  It's not about wins/losses.  There is just something wrong about the way things went down and I haven't really felt a need to be part of the aftermath.  So  make some changes, build a bridge or whatever and I'll probably be back.  Almost did it this year, but something held me back.  I'm posting this, because the feelings Brad is alluding to are real.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

3 hours ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

This.  The statue must have the trade-mark visor.  Maybe that pose when he used to hold up 4 fingers to signify the 4th down comeback back in the early days.

Couldn't find a pic of that, but this might just be the last pic of Jim in his official capacity.

jim_20leavitt_20_202.0.jpg

14 minutes ago, ZeroBullChip said:

BU

Disagree.  Nothing done by anyone with exception of LRS and a few others, including if we win a bush league conference, can match what he did.  I stopped going to games for other personal reasons around the time of Taggert's hire.  Bought season tickets back channel through the skippy years in protest and let them know every time they called.  "Firing" Woolard was a good step IMO.  I didn't feel this way though until the civil law suit, I was willing to let the process work.  First game back in 3 years was NIU, enjoyed it and caught the bug again.

I traveled to road games when we were 1-AA, traveled to many away marque and conference games in CUSA, Big East, and prior.  I'm the guy Brad is mentioning, and it ain't bush league whining.  It's not about wins/losses.  There is just something wrong about the way things went down and I haven't really felt a need to be part of the aftermath.  So  make some changes, build a bridge or whatever and I'll probably be back.  Almost did it this year, but something held me back.  I'm posting this, because the feelings Brad is alluding to are real.

For the record, I never referred to it as bush league whining. I guess kind of where I'm coming from is that this is just another weak (IMO) alumnus (assuming you are, of course) excuse for not supporting the football program, among the myriad of other excuses that have made our contribution/support level a joke compared to most other AAC schools ..... especially with our size. You certainly have to do what you think is right but I do hope that you're part a very small minority, coming from that particular angle. Sadly, though, I don't have a real warm and fuzzy about all the other excuses out there that need to be overcome to get this program where it wants to be.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, charsibb said:

Couldn't find a pic of that, but this might just be the last pic of Jim in his official capacity.

jim_20leavitt_20_202.0.jpg

Wasn't there one after the bowl with Jim and Judy smiling together?

I stopped buying season tickets I think the second year of Holtz's tenure. I just didn't have time to dedicate my saturdays to driving over and watching the mess he was putting on the field. I also sent Woolard an email and told him my reasons. I am now married and have a 4 month old baby, so, this year wasn't in the cards.

I am happy for CWT, but, there was still a different feeling with Leavitt. He made the fan base believe in the program. I think it was because we all knew that every fiber of his being was tangled up in USF Football.

If CWT wins the conference, gets us back into the national spot light, then, stays when he legitimately has the chance to leave, I think people will start buying in. I think we also have to see success after Mack/Flowers/Adams. Is this legit, or, do we have a couple of electric players that are making CWT look good? Leavitt's defenses sustained success over quite a while, usually hovering in or around the top 20 in the nation in total defense.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

I guess kind of where I'm coming from is that this is just another weak (IMO) alumnus (assuming you are, of course) excuse for not supporting the football program, among the myriad of other excuses that have made our contribution/support level a joke compared to most other AAC schools ..... especially with our size. 

This, many times this. Just compare our financial support versus other AAC schools, and to put in the words of someone running for office--"it's just sad."

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

For the record, I never referred to it as bush league whining. I guess kind of where I'm coming from is that this is just another weak (IMO) alumnus (assuming you are, of course) excuse for not supporting the football program, among the myriad of other excuses that have made our contribution/support level a joke compared to most other AAC schools ..... especially with our size. You certainly have to do what you think is right but I do hope that you're part a very small minority, coming from that particular angle. Sadly, though, I don't have a real warm and fuzzy about all the other excuses out there that need to be overcome to get this program where it wants to be.

40 minutes ago, Paisa el Toro said:

This, many times this. Just compare our financial support versus other AAC schools, and to put in the words of someone running for office--"it's just sad."

Ain't that a bunch of ********.  How many thousands of $ have been spent on tailgates, donations, seats, club  memberships, travel?  Went to practically every home game from 1997-2012, was in HOT as a student, been to more away games than most on this board.  The issue isn't weak alumni excuse, the issue is bad leadership that didn't plan for very obvious contingencies, mixed with an agenda from god knows where.  The good thing is now the product is priced appropriately per seat.  I can get better seats at much cheaper prices.

Edited by ZeroBullChip
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, ZeroBullChip said:

Ain't that a bunch of ********.  How many thousands of $ have been spent on tailgates, donations, seats, club  memberships, travel?  Went to practically every home game from 1997-2012, was in HOT as a student, been to more away games than most on this board.  The issue isn't weak alumni, the issue is bad leadership that didn't plan for very obvious contingencies, mixed with an agenda from god knows where.  The good thing is now the product is priced appropriately per seat.  I can get better seats at much cheaper prices.

The contingency that wasn't planned for is an alumni base that, for the most part, doesn't give a **** about USF football or, at the very least, doesn't understand, or care about, what it takes to build and sustain a healthy football program.