• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Piss-poor job of tackling

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  360
  • Days Won:  0

35 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

#69 saved a TD on that play.

Literally said the same thing when I saw it lol

Edited by RedBull13
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, RedBull13 said:

The best stop all day was when their RB (not sure if it was Cook) ran into their own #69 and fell down from the impact

Funny thing is later on that drive we took a safety off the field and brought in an extra LB and stopped Cook at the line. Shoudve been the gameplan from the start 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I guess the thing that bothers me most about getting beat like we did yesterday is there just seemed to be no gameplan. If I am Woodie I am saying OK, we know they are good, but no way, not a chance Cook is going to beat us all by himself again.  My gameplan is to neutralize him and let the freshman QB beat us. Cook is good, but my defense is going to make him grind for his yardage. 

I don't know how many cases there are of a defense letting the same player make career setting records 2 years in a row. 

We are not the least talented defense Cook is going to face all year. Absolutely no way he should have been allowed to beat us like that again. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

To put things in perspective.

FCS Charleston Southern held the Noles to 196 rushing yards on 36 attempt and Cook had 83 yards on 11 carries with half their team suspended.

Woodie is in way over his head.  Gave up 550 yards to Syracuse and now 650 to FSU.  The talent on defense is not that bad.  It's coaching.

Also, The D seems to play with a lot less energy.  TA brought that energy to the sidelines.  So far, I haven't seen a lot of juice from the D.

Unfortunately, I believe this horrific D will keep USF from reaching it's goal of a conference championship.  Hope I'm wrong.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  441
  • Days Won:  2

15 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

To put things in perspective.

FCS Charleston Southern held the Noles to 196 rushing yards on 36 attempt and Cook had 83 yards on 11 carries with half their team suspended.

Woodie is in way over his head.  Gave up 550 yards to Syracuse and now 650 to FSU.  The talent on defense is not that bad.  It's coaching.

Also, The D seems to play with a lot less energy.  TA brought that energy to the sidelines.  So far, I haven't seen a lot of juice from the D.

Unfortunately, I believe this horrific D will keep USF from reaching it's goal of a conference championship.  Hope I'm wrong.

The D was real bad in this game but it was also last year against the power run. 533 yards on 58 carries to Cook in 2 years against FSU, not good at all. The D had some bad moments last year too. Against UConn we gave up over 525 and over 600 to WKU. We went 1-1 in those games just like how we went 1-1 this year. I want to see how the D does in conference play before I totally pass judgement but I hope the last 2 games were the anomalies and not the norm. Also in Charleston Southern's defense they run the triple option so I hope they know how to shut down running lanes in practice.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,137
  • Days Won:  39

7 hours ago, IBulleve said:

Funny thing is later on that drive we took a safety off the field and brought in an extra LB and stopped Cook at the line. Shoudve been the gameplan from the start 

Even in my simplistic brain I was wondering where the LBs where when they were gashing us over and over.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,137
  • Days Won:  39

4 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

Did he make any mention that most of those missed tackles were 8+ yards downfield before anyone else got a hand on the offensive player?

The missed tackles were obvious and this was due to players not holding their gaps and just the general lack of speed, but that also led to many FSU plays where the offensive player would get into the second level without getting touched. Better tackling isn't going to solve that.

That is true they would get into the secondary like yawn ok now what.

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Just got done rewatching the game, and while there were some missed tackles it was more of a case where the lanes were wide open.  The D Line was non existant for the majority of the game.  The scheme and the angles were alot worse than the tackling.  Not impressed with Woodie at all.  We didn't make any adjustments until the game was out of reach in the 4th Quarter.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1