• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF President Hitt slows down Stadium Plan

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-locucfstadium14041405apr14,1,5606354.story?coll=orl-news-headlines

(See link for full article)

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-locucfstadium14041405apr14,1,5606354.story?coll=orl-news-headlines

Hitt slows UCF stadium plan

The university president says he still has questions about the proposal.

By Alan Schmadtke

Sentinel Staff Writer

April 14, 2005

Concerned about any perception that the University of Central Florida is bullying its neighbors, President John Hitt may not ask school trustees today for a green light to build a 45,000-seat on-campus football stadium.

Hitt said Wednesday that he still has a few questions about details of a recently completed feasibility study and wanted to prepare a stadium-use policy he can show to neighborhood groups worried about traffic, noise and light from the facility.

"I might ask for something short of final approval," Hitt said of today's meeting of the board of trustees. "I'm not sure I want to go there just yet. It's a big project. I want to have everything nailed down."

The president's comments came after a meeting of UCF Athletics Association directors, who unanimously supported asking trustees to approve the project. The Athletics Association would own and operate the $43 million stadium.

Hitt said he first wants to assuage concerns of stadium opponents. He envisions holding more meetings with neighbors and not asking for final approval from trustees for three or four more weeks.

(See link for full article)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

I can understand the "light" issue at night games...but "traffic and noise"?  :)

Just build it - it is on campus - do it.  

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

I can understand the "light" issue at night games...but "traffic and noise"?  :)

Just build it - it is on campus - do it.  

Our Athletic Complex is located on the North edge of our campus.

Local neighborhoods are located just North of the Complex...seperated  by some Woods and a 4-lane road.

Some residents have spoken about "concerns" of traffic thru their neighborhoods (which is divided by another 4 lane road with a 35 mile speed limit).

UCF is trying to be "good neighbors" and didn't have to include these residents in any talks.

Sometimes being "nice" takes a little longer.

KL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  442

Hell with the neighbors.  Don't buy a house next door to a growing University.  I bet (imo only) there are more students driving by every day than there will be on those 5 or 6 saturdays per year.  

Guest Sprtsfn627

Exactly FLBeach...these people just need to shut up and get a life.

I had the same problem in an old neighborhood, so I feel for UCF here...some people will just complain because they can.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

This pisses me off!!!

I was looking forward toward NOT getting my windshield kicked in next year while attending the 2006 game at UCF instead of citrus bowel.   ;)

If UCFers want to get a feel about how a neighborhood association or coalition can derail an outdoor venue project even after the fact, just look what a mess the Ford Amphitheater has become. Depsite getting built with the blessing of the county and following all proper protocol the Amphitheater is now trying to stave off a challenge to severely resrtict it's activities.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  677

the only thing slowed down was the final go ahead.. they are starting the final designs.. financing.. permitting ect.. that is all u can do for the next few weeks anyways.. BOT shouldnt give final ok before they are sure of all the details.. only got traffic reports.. yesterday.  1 mil donation to pay for the early work being done.. taking a final look at all decisions is always a good idea.. make sure its done right..

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  765

Hell with the neighbors.  Don't buy a house next door to a growing University.  I bet (imo only) there are more students driving by every day than there will be on those 5 or 6 saturdays per year.  

You are right.   These people have nothing to complain about.   When it was built, UCF could not have been built in a much more remote area.   If you decide to move out to where the University is then you have decided to be close to everything the University produces like traffic.   If you do not want to put up with that stuff you should make a different decision.   It is not reasonable for the University to retard its development in an effort to appease people that have chosen to put themselves in the proximity of the University.  

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

Exactly, Lake.  This was the boonies back in the 60s and people and commerece have come here because of the school.  Now, it's a rich area full of people and businesses.  The school has only enhanced the area and they will continue to do so.

Having a stadium around will mean local businesses could get boots before and after games.  That means the local economy will improve and everybody wins.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  677

Its no diff than people moving next to airport than complaining about planes...   I dont even see this as slowing things down.. they are going ahead with the things they can go ahead with... dumb thing is if they move stadium to other side they will get  other fields there that will be Used all the time... lets trade bright lights and noise 6 days for bright lights and noise all the time.