• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

i think we're going to actually be pretty good next season.  I saw guys getting better and add to that depth and more talent.  I think we're actually going to be really good.  Adding Feliz and Baxter being added to what we have coming back and the transfers.  We're should actually be a pretty good team.   This is the season, the upcoming one that is, where I think this team will break through.  I would not be surprised if they won 20 games. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  707
  • Days Won:  1

39 minutes ago, Paisa el Toro said:

We should be beating the Tulane, ECU, and UCF consistently next year. I also forgot that we have another off season to bulk up Guerrero, so a front court with Guerrero, Perry, Manderson, da Silva, and Santos should be pretty formidable. 

Looking at the group from what I've seen I have high hopes but with very tempered expectations. Santos will need to get his head on his shoulders and in the game. Manderson also seems like his head wasn't 100% in the game at Texas Tech and I think we can only hope he can come here and put it together. Perry ran the floor well but scores best on the hash. His face up game is only dangerous as long as he is close enough potentially to post and roll. Guerrero I think has the best chance to be the starting Center (of those mentioned so far) in the scheme COA wants to employ, but he had a tough time last season. Finally Tulio, I would love to see what this kid can do on the court but sadly we haven't seen anything since his recruiting reels.

20 minutes ago, usfgrad84 said:

I don't see much wiggle room. It's either start winning some games or look for a new job at this point. He has been given two years of looking good on paper for the future. 

I would think a .500 record is a realistic and acceptable goal. Then build from there. 

My thinking is the time for rebuilding is done now the actual growth must start. If that makes any sense. 

I would of course argue one year looking good on paper. His first year I didn't think looked too great but that's when I made my intro into watching college basketball (previously being strictly a pro game fan). I mention the recruiting because as we all know he is a recruiter first and talent combined with coaching makes success than if he can bring in talent why not see what he can make with it. Because of freshmen recruits, he made a 2-star McBuckets prime time (yes yes loosely used), Holston would have shown us the same, and Guerrero has had flashes but that is all. Santos and Tulio are his only freshman let our and we haven't seen anything from them. So from a pure analytics perspective this will be the second truly reflective season on COA as a whole commodity. 

All in my opinion of course, thoughts?

Edited by JoshuaG

• Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

35 minutes ago, Calibull said:

i think we're going to actually be pretty good next season.  I saw guys getting better and add to that depth and more talent.  I think we're actually going to be really good.  Adding Feliz and Baxter being added to what we have coming back and the transfers.  We're should actually be a pretty good team.   This is the season, the upcoming one that is, where I think this team will break through.  I would not be surprised if they won 20 games. 

There was too much inconsistency for 20 IMO, but 15+ is in the realm. I believe the same in basketball as I did in football going into year 3; with the talent that is currently on the roster there is no reason we can't beat the lower tier teams and compete with the higher tier teams in 2016-17. If COA gets lower than that, and injuries aren't an excuse, then all bets are off with his future (although I believe we need to stick with one guy for more than three years)

5 hours ago, Ionbull said:

There was too much inconsistency for 20 IMO, but 15+ is in the realm. I believe the same in basketball as I did in football going into year 3; with the talent that is currently on the roster there is no reason we can't beat the lower tier teams and compete with the higher tier teams in 2016-17. If COA gets lower than that, and injuries aren't an excuse, then all bets are off with his future (although I believe we need to stick with one guy for more than three years)

I get it... I just feel like the outside shooting and interior play will improve.  I'm not saying the team will make the tourney... wait... maybe I am.  I guess I do think that as crazy as it sounds, it wouldn't shock me to see this team in the NIT.  

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

4 minutes ago, Calibull said:

I get it... I just feel like the outside shooting and interior play will improve.  I'm not saying the team will make the tourney... wait... maybe I am.  I guess I do think that as crazy as it sounds, it wouldn't shock me to see this team in the NIT.  

It would shock me to see them in the NIT as that means they win at least 18 games. Can't see that happening. But,  doesn't mean I wouldn't mind seeing it. 

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

It would shock me to see them in the NIT as that means they win at least 18 games. Can't see that happening. But,  doesn't mean I wouldn't mind seeing it. 

I can actually see it happening.  I think they'll be a team familiar with the system, they'll receive a huge injection in terms of talent, depth, and I think we'll see drastically improved outside shooting.  I mean I consider what we played with and how we played.  I can see them being a lot better with more bodies and talent.  I know some will be young... but I think you'll see Perry have a monster season and I think Guerrero is finally finding his game.  Next season they'll have some continuity and I think they'll be pretty good.  I'm going to pin this post on my watch list.... We'll come back to this early next season and you're gonna ask "What did you see?"  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

16 minutes ago, Calibull said:

I can actually see it happening.  I think they'll be a team familiar with the system, they'll receive a huge injection in terms of talent, depth, and I think we'll see drastically improved outside shooting.  I mean I consider what we played with and how we played.  I can see them being a lot better with more bodies and talent.  I know some will be young... but I think you'll see Perry have a monster season and I think Guerrero is finally finding his game.  Next season they'll have some continuity and I think they'll be pretty good.  I'm going to pin this post on my watch list.... We'll come back to this early next season and you're gonna ask "What did you see?"  

I am cool with that. Good analysis. For me, I think they can get up to 15 wins but hard to see more than that. I do think youth will be an issue early but as the season moves on they will get better. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I am cool with that. Good analysis. For me, I think they can get up to 15 wins but hard to see more than that. I do think youth will be an issue early but as the season moves on they will get better. 

I can see that too.  If I just didn't have this feeling in my gut looking at the guys play, I'd feel that way too.  I'm not saying it is going to be pretty, but I think they'll grind some wins out.  Antigua appeared to find something that worked last season.  Perry and Guerrero should be formidable and I haven't really talked at all about Bo, who is poised to have a really good junior season.  It's like they are finally stabilizing... We didn't lose our top scorer, we finally return guys who've  been around the program for more than a year.  Others who've been waiting in the wings.  Da Sliva, Thorpe, and the transfer from Texas Tech... we have some talented bodies that will be eligible.  I think they'll gel quickly too.  That will be huge. 

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

I have a feeling that we'll be back here again next season talking about the same thing except more will be in favor of firing antigua. Some improvements will be seen but likely to be status quo,  business as usual for the men.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

coa needs more wins