• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

I am watching the SMU-Houston game. Bothis teams feature dynamic running QBs.  They both seem pretty dynamic and to be true playmakers. 

I have been impressed with Flowers' escapability when he does drop back, but have not been impressed with his playmaking or running ability. 

Is it our offense or is he really not a great playmaker or am I missing something?

Nope your not. His QBR which comes from ESPN and is an unbiased metric agrees with you. QF QBR for the season is about ~32 which means he is a worse QB than MW (43.3 2014) and SB (43.9 2014) even with his legs and dynamic ability which are both accounted for in the QBR metric. Both Hou and SMU QBs are better than avg (<50). QBR basically measures the impact a QB has on the team's ability to win, QFs as of now is not a contributer and is what is reflected when you are watching.

For comparison 

HOU GW #5 QBR 86.8

SMU MD #67 QBR 55.7

USF QF #112 QBR 32.5

Only a few QBs have worse play than we do...

Edited by Bull-Hornz
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Interesting. I am not knocking him. Like I said, I like his escapability. I am just not imprrssed yet. However,  it is possible that he is being held back by our offensive scheme. 

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Interesting. I am not knocking him. Like I said, I like his escapability. I am just not imprrssed yet. However,  it is possible that he is being held back by our offensive scheme. 

The play calling hasnt helped him...but CWT was calling most all the play last year as well and both QBs had better numbers last year. I think this is what we have with QF but I would love to see him at least TRY to throw more balls beyond the LOS. Especially against teams like MD, Memphis and Cuse with weaker secondaries. Cuse in particular will shut us down if we are 1D like we have been on O.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  131
  • Days Won:  0

I don't think Flowers will be able to get it done . To me he just doesn't look like a QB . I would be very surprised if by the middle of next season if he is our starter. If cwt gets canned I doubt he is our starter at the end of this season. But then again I was criticized on a previous thread and called a moron for questioning his QB skills. So maybe he is awesome

There are many here who feel the same as you. However, as also the case here, many prematurely anoint the next savior for USF (typically QB) before they've had sufficient time to see the player perform.  As a result, many of those same folks are hard tied to their initial opinion and continue their support regardless whether the evidence does not support their conclusions.

Wear it as a badge of honor, my friend.  When I attended open practices last year, I reported here that Q. Flowers was not the high-speed QB that many were saying or hoping for as USF's new savior.  The comments I received were the typical semi-disparaging remarks from folks that could not handle being told something different than what they wanted to hear.

Funny seeing how many folks here now appear to be changing their opinion about both Taggart and Flowers.

Edited by SoTampaBull

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256

I am hoping by next season our QB depth chart is:

1. Woulard

2. A freshman/transfer that a new coach recruits

3. Kean

That is hoping that QF moves to another position, either a Courtney Denson WR/RB/gimmick play QB, or just over to defense. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  360

I am hoping by next season our QB depth chart is:

1. Woulard

2. A freshman/transfer that a new coach recruits

3. Kean

That is hoping that QF moves to another position, either a Courtney Denson WR/RB/gimmick play QB, or just over to defense. 

I think the coach would really have to sell him the gimmick play QB idea, wasnt one of the main reasons he chose USF because we were the only ones to offer him a scholarship as a QB? 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,629

I think the coach would really have to sell him the gimmick play QB idea, wasnt one of the main reasons he chose USF because we were the only ones to offer him a scholarship as a QB? 

Yes. All the big time schools wanted him at WR I believe

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

You don't have to, "sell" him anything.  He was given a shot to be the QB.  I'm sure that's all he was, "promised", a shot.  If he loses the gig to a more talented QB, then that's how it goes.  He then has the option to change positions, sit on the bench, or transfer and be a WR/RB at another school.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

There are many here who feel the same as you. However, as also the case here, many prematurely anoint the next savior for USF (typically QB) before they've had sufficient time to see the player perform.  As a result, many of those same folks are hard tied to their initial opinion and continue their support regardless whether the evidence does not support their conclusions.

Wear it as a badge of honor, my friend.  When I attended open practices last year, I reported here that Q. Flowers was not the high-speed QB that many were saying or hoping for as USF's new savior.  The comments I received were the typical semi-disparaging remarks from folks that could not handle being told something different than what they wanted to hear.

Funny seeing how many folks here now appear to be changing their opinion about both Taggart and Flowers.

Everyone who went to practice saw the same thing. QF couldn't make the throws against no defense. It wasn't going to get better once people started trying to stop him.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Nope your not. His QBR which comes from ESPN and is an unbiased metric agrees with you. QF QBR for the season is about ~32 which means he is a worse QB than MW (43.3 2014) and SB (43.9 2014) even with his legs and dynamic ability which are both accounted for in the QBR metric. Both Hou and SMU QBs are better than avg (<50). QBR basically measures the impact a QB has on the team's ability to win, QFs as of now is not a contributer and is what is reflected when you are watching.

For comparison 

HOU GW #5 QBR 86.8

SMU MD #67 QBR 55.7

USF QF #112 QBR 32.5

Only a few QBs have worse play than we do...

SMU's QBR was just over 30 last year. He completed less than 55% of his passes and he threw 3 TDs compared to 5 picks. oh and he is a redshirt junior. 2 years older than Flowers. and get this he is only 6 ' tall. funny how nobody thought he was all world last year when he played us and only put up 13 on our terrible defense.