• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Concerns about Florida St game after re-watching FAMU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,807
  • Days Won:  0

1. Oline - Doesnt look like they got a lot of push on the runs and pass blocking was suspect against inferior competition

2. Punt blocking: Did you see how close FAMU came to blocking those punts

3. Kick return coverage: Tackling was sloppy

4: Defense: Tackling was sloppy. A lot of bumping to pry lose ball and not wrapping up. Depth looked a little slim as well. As ones went out FAMU started to drive.

5. Offense: We get too conservative and dont throw the ball.

Your thoughts?

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

1. Oline - Doesnt look like they got a lot of push on the runs and pass blocking was suspect against inferior competition

4: Defense: Tackling was sloppy. A lot of bumping to pry lose ball and not wrapping up. Depth looked a little slim as well. As ones went out FAMU started to drive.

Your thoughts?

1. Not sure about this as I wasn't focusing on their play specifically...did notice some big holes and lots of time to throw the ball. But its hard to draw any conclusions from that as it was FAMU.

2. No I did not but I sure saw we have an NFL type kicker back there...

3. I did not see sloppy tackling but I did see an over aggressive special teams unit that would get down to fast putting them in poor angles and bad position to make a play. Having the aggression and speed is great, the other can be fixed by this game.

4. For the most part I saw the best tackling I have seen in a long time at USF. Lots of great angles, open field tackles, and swarming to the ball. There was a drop of somewhere between the 3rd and 4th where they did start to bump and chip but I am guessing that was due to fatigue. And this is my biggest concern, I am not sure we have the depth to hang a full 4 qtrs. For us to have a shot in this game O has to sustain drives and score, in order to give the D some spells. D can help by creating some turn overs and good field position. Lot of things have to go right for us to have a shot...conversely FSU just has to play sound football to win due to depth.  

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  2

I think youre completely wrong on the tackling. This team wrapped up most of the tackles, and if they didnt they slowed the guy enough in the backfield for someone to come in and finish it

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Your thoughts?

1- Run blocking got better when QF started actually making the read on the read option in the first half. He seemed content to just hand off to Mack the 1st 2 drives. Pass blocking will be a problem with the tackles as weak spots. 

2- I don't think they got that close.

3- Bad angles. Speed was there to get down the field. Correct the angles and stay in lanes and we should be ok.  

4- I thought tackling was pretty good.  FAMU started to drive when the defense lost interest. Hard for any team, much less a young one, to maintain 60 minutes of focus when you're blowing someone out (or being blown out).

5- Offense will be run first. I don't expect us to get pass happy at FSU. I've said several times if we pass more than 25 times then we are likely losing as neither QB will light the world on fire against good opponents. Efficient passing is what we need and what we got this past week.  Obviously will be much harder against FSU.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

My only concern is with the O-Line.

Every other position on the field looks to be much improved.

I rewatched and was specifically looking at the OL.  I thought they did pretty well.

There were a few drives in the first half where the playcalling as a bit predictable, so it was easy for them to stop the run... (Mack had three or four runs for no gain on first down).

Also, Flowers was never sacked (only Bench was sacked one time)... so even when protection broke down, Flowers was able to escape.

Oh... and FAMU had at least one NFL-caliber DL in the game (Lovejoy), so I wouldn't call them all pushovers.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Your thoughts?

1- Run blocking got better when QF started actually making the read on the read option in the first half. He seemed content to just hand off to Mack the 1st 2 drives. Pass blocking will be a problem with the tackles as weak spots. 

2- I don't think they got that close.

3- Bad angles. Speed was there to get down the field. Correct the angles and stay in lanes and we should be ok.  

4- I thought tackling was pretty good.  FAMU started to drive when the defense lost interest. Hard for any team, much less a young one, to maintain 60 minutes of focus when you're blowing someone out (or being blown out).

5- Offense will be run first. I don't expect us to get pass happy at FSU. I've said several times if we pass more than 25 times then we are likely losing as neither QB will light the world on fire against good opponents. Efficient passing is what we need and what we got this past week.  Obviously will be much harder against FSU.

This, mostly, although I remember thinking they got pretty close to a block on a couple of our punts. Also, on the coverage they over-pursued a couple times IIRC--stayed in lanes, but just blew past the return guy. I'm sure that'll get fixed though.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103

I know I'm a bit late, but I was at the game and re-watched it also.

I know one thing for sure, outside of the first 10 minutes or so there was progress over the past 3-4 years.

-Not a bunch of false start/ delay of game garbage.

-the offense, while pretty vanilla looked competent, I did t see many dropped passes like years before.

-I see a bunch of hungry players, excited on the sidelines.

- after a big defensive play, I think it was one of hectors sacks, I saw Allen run over to taggart and give a flying chest bump. Good to see something like that, it's been lacking since JL has been gone.

I can handle losses, as long as the team and coaches do not beat themselves. That's all I got, im going back to lurking in the shadows.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Bro. Do your balls start at your belly button?

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103

Bro. Do your balls start at your belly button?

Lol it's from a skit from an HBO series called Mr. Show.