• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Awoleke, Djubelgovic & Salvato Earn Scholarships

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

DRNZAIBUFUBVRUF.20150823205954.jpg

TAMPA, AUG. 23, 2015 â€“Head Coach Willie Taggart announced Sunday that the USF football program has awarded scholarships to three Bay Area walk-ons, rewarding their efforts and dedication to the Bulls’ program on and off the field.

Seniors Daniel Awoleke (Lakeland/George Jenkins HS) and Mak Djulbegovic (Tampa/Carrollwood Day HS) and junior Alex Salvato (Lakeland/Victory Christian Academy HS) all earned full grant in-aids from USF. The trio joins a long line of former walk-ons who, through their perseverance and hard work, became major contributors to the USF program and earned scholarships. Among those are Salavato’s battery mate in the Bulls’ punting unit, Mattias Ciabatti (Tampa), who was the first walk-on awarded a scholarship under Taggart in 2013 and went on to become a first team all-conference punter and Ray Guy Award candidate.

Awoleke joined the team as a walk-on defensive end in 2013 and went about building his body, adding more than 35 pounds, into a 6-5, 285-pound defensive tackle. He now occupies a position on the Bulls’ depth chart with the second-team defense.

Djulbegovic likewise has transformed his body, adding nearly 40 pounds, since joining the team as a walk-on in 2011 while also earning three academic all-conference honors. He has seen action in 20 games over the last two seasons, with two starts, and now, at 6-5, 295 pounds, holds down the first-team position at right tackle on the Bulls’ offense.

Salvato took over the long snapper role last season and saw action in all 12 games. Salvato did not have an error while snapping for field goals, extra points and punts and recorded one tackle on the year. He joined Ciabatti in forming a punting battery that set a USF season record averaging 44.4 yards per punt.

The Bulls completed preseason camp on Saturday with a full scrimmage. USF enters its regular game week practice schedule starting with an 8:30 a.m. practice Tuesday as preparations begin for the season opener on Sat., Sept. 5 vs. Florida A&M. That game is set for a 7:00 p.m. kickoff in Raymond James Stadium.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=210286310

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

Great news. Love hard work paying off.

Guest PCBull14

Same here. Always hear this happening around the country, nice to see it in our program as well. 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Same here. Always hear this happening around the country, nice to see it in our program as well.

We've been hearing it here for many years.

Guest PCBull14

We've been hearing it here for many years.

You're right. The last time I remembered it happening was in the Holtz era. The article clearly states that its happened more recent then this instance...oops my bad. 

Edited by PCBull14

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  2,558
  • Days Won:  0

Do they get their first years paid for, or just what ever is remaining?

Have to assume just going forward. Never heard of this being done retroactively, which would mean writing them a check ..... Did pick a good time to get on board with the coa kicking in.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Have to assume just going forward. Never heard of this being done retroactively, which would mean writing them a check ..... Did pick a good time to get on board with the COA kicking in.

okay, I know it's Monday and all, and I'm a little slow but I had to double-take the COA acronym. Maybe CoA helps other learning-disabled readers process the context more quickly. :rolleyes:

Have to assume just going forward. Never heard of this being done retroactively, which would mean writing them a check ..... Did pick a good time to get on board with the COA kicking in.

okay, I know it's Monday and all, and I'm a little slow but I had to double-take the COA acronym. Maybe CoA helps other learning-disabled readers process the context more quickly. :rolleyes:

Good point .... will change to coa, though ...  easier to type.