• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Band's Rome tour includes playing for Pope Francis

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

18 hours ago, swamprat said:

meet_band.jpg

The Herd of Thunder Marching Band meets the Thundering Herd Marching Band in Rome. 

This would only be better if it had happened in Pamplona. At least we had Rocky there in full SoFlo.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  223
  • Days Won:  1

Never liked the idea of the band ditching the football team like that at the bowl game.   Marching band is for football entertainment.  

And this is coming from a former band member.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,513
  • Days Won:  422

21 minutes ago, Yogi said:

Never liked the idea of the band ditching the football team like that at the bowl game.   Marching band is for football entertainment.  

They cleared it with the team ... and the band was represented quite well at B'ham .... besides, you can't be dissin' the Pope.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Days Won:  0

On January 30, 2017 at 0:33 PM, Yogi said:

Couldn't agree more. 

On January 30, 2017 at 0:56 PM, Triple B said:

They cleared it with the team ... and the band was represented quite well at B'ham .... besides, you can't be dissin' the Pope.

While they did "clear it with the team"

It was "cleared" over a year ago.  There was no telling, if/when they were planning or booking the trip, the team would've been in bowl contention at all.

I'm just glad(not really) we didn't get a NY6 bowl and showed up with half a band.  :/ It was bad enough having the skeleton crew in bham...but also represented abroad at half strength.  

I drove up with other band alumni and was very excited to see this years FULL SIZE HOT Band.  But no...they're in Rome with marshall(?) and uab(?!) .

Save that money and recruit with your FULL band at major competitive marching band events in the Miami and Ft Lauderdale area perhaps.  And while you're at it, send a small pep band to one FAR away game(temple woulda been good this year), to hype up the hundreds of bulls fans who show up from NYC/Philly/DC alumni associations. 

There are better uses of money.  My only argument.  

Former band member, and long time HOT supporter and enthusiast. 

#GoBulls

• Downvote 3

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  40

The trip was booked after a 4-8 season and no bowl games were even on the radar for the Bulls yet. Relax guys.

Edited by BullsBy100
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

5 hours ago, Bulls 8_va said:

Couldn't agree more. 

While they did "clear it with the team"

It was "cleared" over a year ago.  There was no telling, if/when they were planning or booking the trip, the team would've been in bowl contention at all.

I'm just glad(not really) we didn't get a NY6 bowl and showed up with half a band.  :/ It was bad enough having the skeleton crew in bham...but also represented abroad at half strength.  

I drove up with other band alumni and was very excited to see this years FULL SIZE HOT Band.  But no...they're in Rome with marshall(?) and uab(?!) .

Save that money and recruit with your FULL band at major competitive marching band events in the Miami and Ft Lauderdale area perhaps.  And while you're at it, send a small pep band to one FAR away game(temple woulda been good this year), to hype up the hundreds of bulls fans who show up from NYC/Philly/DC alumni associations. 

There are better uses of money.  My only argument.  

Former band member, and long time HOT supporter and enthusiast. 

#GoBulls

Meh, cry me a river.  Like you wouldn't have been interested in traveling to Rome to rep USF.  Glad our Athletic Department isn't as selfish.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

I guess I'm complicit in them raising enough money to go. They asked for donations and I gave.  Really having a hard time with some of you hating on kids that had a chance to go to Rome.  That could be a once in a lifetime experience for some of them. The B'ham Bowl really isn't.  Our daughter was in her high school band and got to perform at the Peach Bowl once.  She loved that experience.  

The HOT sounded fine at half time of the game and, listening to the video here, sounded pretty darn good in Rome as well. Didn't I hear something about them inviting alums to join the band in B'ham?  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, NCBull said:

Meh, cry me a river.  Like you wouldn't have been interested in traveling to Rome to rep USF.  Glad our Athletic Department isn't as selfish.

Traveling to Rome can be done with the purchase of a plane ticket for a few hundred bucks man.  It aint that deep.   

These kids had to PAY for this trip.  Not like they couldn't do it on their own.  

We wanna be a REAL school who cares about football and brings our A-game to away trips in the country?  Or we wanna be half assing it? 

GO BULLS!!!

• Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,513
  • Days Won:  422

6 minutes ago, Bulls 8_va said:

Traveling to Rome can be done with the purchase of a plane ticket for a few hundred bucks man.  It aint that deep.   

These kids had to PAY for this trip.  Not like they couldn't do it on their own.  

We wanna be a REAL school who cares about football and brings our A-game to away trips in the country?  Or we wanna be half assing it? 

GO BULLS!!!

Send the band to Europe when we're in a NY6 bowl and then you're complaining may be met more empathy ...

• Upvote 1

Just now, Triple B said:

Send the band to Europe when we're in a NY6 bowl and then you're complaining may be met more empathy ...

We were one Temple WIN away from a possible NY6 bowl...and the band was ALREADY scheduled to go over a year ago.  

• Downvote 2