• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS for Temple University - "Gold Mine" or Gamble"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

A really good article on the "Gold Mine" or "Gamble" of an OCS.  It's not as easy as build it and they will come.

Go Bulls!

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/temple/20150104_Sobering_landscape_as_Temple_ponders_football_stadium.html

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,613
  • Days Won:  51

They continue to reference Akron as the example. They built a stadium 3X the capacity of their student body, no wonder it's hard to fill it. That would be like USF building a 120k stadium.

Akron University has a student enrollment of just over 25K.  Their stadium's capacity is 30K. 

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,613
  • Days Won:  51

Akron University has a student enrollment of just over 25K.  Their stadium's capacity is 30K.

Sorry, read that paragraph as the 11k was student body.

"Packed for its opener, InfoCision Stadium hasn't been filled since. Attendance has fluctuated, mostly downward. In some years the stadium hasn't generated sufficient revenue to cover its debt. And while its 16 corporate suites annually sell out, the 11,000 students who live within 10 blocks consistently stay away, despite free admission."

An OCS is a very slippery slope in today's football environment.  More separation is coming between the have's and have nots and it's not far down the road.  Often times it's better to rent than to own. 

There's much to it than the emotions put forth by many.  Like everything else it's a business and the business has to make money.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,238
  • Days Won:  0

An OCS is a very slippery slope in today's football environment. More separation is coming between the have's and have nots and it's not far down the road. Often times it's better to rent than to own.

There's much to it than the emotions put forth by many. Like everything else it's a business and the business has to make money.

Agreed. And as of a couple of years ago, we are officially a have not. The time to do this was 04-07. We had an opportunity to really take off and we wasted it.

To me, it'd be a mistake to waste money on football at this point. I'm not saying shut it down, but we've missed the opportunity to become a big player.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,342
  • Days Won:  43

I believe Tulane OCS success will have other schools consider to build an OCS. Tulane was playing in the SuperDome and the attendence was about 10K in that huge Superdome. Now they built a nice OCS that is smaller to fit their demands. The atmosphere and increase in attendence was a great success for Tulane. I am happy for them. 

• Upvote 1

An OCS is a very slippery slope in today's football environment. More separation is coming between the have's and have nots and it's not far down the road. Often times it's better to rent than to own.

There's much to it than the emotions put forth by many. Like everything else it's a business and the business has to make money.

Agreed. And as of a couple of years ago, we are officially a have not. The time to do this was 04-07. We had an opportunity to really take off and we wasted it.

To me, it'd be a mistake to waste money on football at this point. I'm not saying shut it down, but we've missed the opportunity to become a big player.

The next five years are going to be really crazy... the O'Bannon lawsuit was just the first and it will have major implications for all of Division I assuming the NCAA loses on appea. ... but the Jenkins & Alston lawsuits will really blow things up if the NCAA loses... add to that the unionization movement (Northwestern's case has not been decided), plus a new lawsuit that alleges student athletes are "work-study" employees and deserve to be paid (including back pay)...

There will be a lot of activity over the next three to five years.

Spot on Jim. Add on concussions and other issues that are trickling down and football may be very different in as short as 10 years.