• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Playoff teams announced

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I said in another thread, have an 8 team playoff, the 5 P5 champs, the highest rated G5 champ (provided they are in the top 25) and two (or three) at large bids to the 2 highest rated non-conference champions.  No need for a committee. 

But why does there have to be a G5 champ if they are nowhere near one of the top 8 best teams? Same with the 5 P5 champs? Just put the best 8 teams in, none of this fair for everyone crap.

Ask the same question of the NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, etc, etc....

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

I said in another thread, have an 8 team playoff, the 5 P5 champs, the highest rated G5 champ (provided they are in the top 25) and two (or three) at large bids to the 2 highest rated non-conference champions.  No need for a committee. 

But why does there have to be a G5 champ if they are nowhere near one of the top 8 best teams? Same with the 5 P5 champs? Just put the best 8 teams in, none of this fair for everyone crap.

I'm glad you asked that, because of the limited number of inter-conference games you truly don't know who's better.  The best 8 teams is subjective.  I might change it to include a rule for ND maybe if they are in the top ten and out rank the highest G5 team they take their place.

If my playoffs were to start today you'd have (the numbers are their seeding):

8 - TCU at 1 - Miss State

7 - Mich State at 2 - FSU

6 - Notre Dame at 3 - Alabama

5 - Oregon at 4 - Auburn

Ole Miss and possibly Georgia are the only teams that may have an argument, but the SEC will work it self out.

Looks good.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

NCAA Basketball tourny

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Because the "P5" already start off the season with inflated rankings

While the the "G5" are already in a disadvantage since the beginning of preseason due to this bias.

Then now they can use scheduling as an excuse, which is caused by the "P5" not wanting to schedule "G5" teams.  So this further increases the disadvantage.

Breaking into the top 8 would be extremely difficult, even for an undefeated "G5" team, while 1 or even 2 loss teams have a much easier opportunity.

Breaking into the top 8 would be extremely difficult, even for an undefeated "G5" team, while 1 or even 2 loss teams have a much easier opportunity.

See: Marshall University, 2014

Like I said, this is what I would do.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

NCAA Basketball tourny

If the football playoff had over 60 teams for football, then I wouldn't care if conference champs made it. I'd like to see 16 teams in the playoff.

In my opinion, 16 is too many and unwieldy.  Based on what I put above, Ole miss is the only top 8 team in the AP poll to be left out.

• Topic Count:  211
  • Content Count:  1,829
  • Days Won:  1

How about any team not in the SEC start a super conference and none of the teams play an SEC team. Leaving SEC on an island by itself! Yes? Then we have our own play off. Man that would send Esecpn into a tail spin.