• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anyone else see the humor in the coaching search on part of our athletic department?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  45
  • Days Won:  0

All of this would be totally laughable if it wasn't so depressing. So we're gonna end up with some nothing for a basketball coach (Antigua, Pelphrey, etc.), we'll be paying TWO football coaches, TWO basketball coaches and TWO athletic directors with Woolard still on the payroll? They've let Prado wallow with the baseball program. They're pissing away all the money they received as compensation from the Big East breakup and will be left at the bottom of a mid-major conference. Sounds great. I've been a diehard Bull since the mid-80s - even put more than two years of my life into a publication for USF athletics - but there is a limit to everything. It's pretty difficult to support something when you consistently see bad decisions being made. The basketball hire is the absolute topper for me. The names now being thrown around - Antigua, Pelphrey, White, Tyndall - are all non-starters. They generate no excitement in a program that is in desperate need of some. I couldn't possibly make an argument that any of those names jump-start USF basketball and are a clear upgrade from Stan Heath. The older I get, the less patience I have for what's happening with USF athletics. A program that looked to be rising star just a few years ago hasn't just taken a step back, it has fallen off a cliff.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

All of this would be totally laughable if it wasn't so depressing. So we're gonna end up with some nothing for a basketball coach (Antigua, Pelphrey, etc.), we'll be paying TWO football coaches, TWO basketball coaches and TWO athletic directors with Woolard still on the payroll? They've let Prado wallow with the baseball program. They're pissing away all the money they received as compensation from the Big East breakup and will be left at the bottom of a mid-major conference. Sounds great. I've been a diehard Bull since the mid-80s - even put more than two years of my life into a publication for USF athletics - but there is a limit to everything. It's pretty difficult to support something when you consistently see bad decisions being made. The basketball hire is the absolute topper for me. The names now being thrown around - Antigua, Pelphrey, White, Tyndall - are all non-starters. They generate no excitement in a program that is in desperate need of some. I couldn't possibly make an argument that any of those names jump-start USF basketball and are a clear upgrade from Stan Heath. The older I get, the less patience I have for what's happening with USF athletics. A program that looked to be rising star just a few years ago hasn't just taken a step back, it has fallen off a cliff.

Hey not all is bad... USF Cricket won a National Championship, and USF Quidditch is on pace to challenge Gryffindor for the house cup.

Edited by Bubba Bull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,007
  • Days Won:  12

I'm not sure this is all USFs fault. Steve was the right hire, and the search firm did the right thing by finding an issue in the background. I am NOT happy with how this has gone, & I certainly would have done things different, but I am at least taking this all with a grain of salt. USF and mark Harlan will find the right person, and we will get better.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  45
  • Days Won:  0

You're right that this was not USF's fault with regard to Masiello, but I have little confidence that they will find the right person and it will get better. There is no track record of that since Paul Griffin left the athletic department.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Antigua was rumored to Manhattan!

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

USF will find another basketball coach.   I think it's hard right now because once your team hires a coach you immediately get behind that coach, so this happening hurts more because you have already started to like the guy since he was going to be our next coach.  I knew alot of people that were very down on Lovie Smith before the Bucs hired him, but once they did now he is the greatest coach of all time.  

Holtz was a failure no doubt but he had the right things going for him before he was hired.  It's like in the NFL when everyone is very high on a guy in the draft, and he ends up being a dud.  I didn't see anyone out there questioning the Holtz hire at the time. 

Heath was an Average hire.   He may not have brought us consistent success and a bunch of winning seasons, but he did give us the best USF basketball season ever and left us with a team that still has some talent to work with for the next coach. 

Taggart was a great hire.    You guys need to stop looking at the 2-10 and look at the big picture.   He just pulled in 24, 3/4 star players.  We had been in an automatic BCS conference for years and never pulled a haul like that.   Recruiting is EVERYTHING in college football.  Everything.    If Taggart pulls in one more class like this, then the Bulls are going to be so much more talented then everyone else in the conference, that the absolute worst they can do is 2nd or 3rd place with 8 wins.   Holtz couldn't recruit worth a jack squat and then that is exactly what we won when he was here.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Masiello was not the lone savior I don't think (hold on, I'll check his resume).

He was intriguing, but really a small college head coach in a real small time league.

I liked his fire and energy and toughness. If those remain qualities we are seeking, we'll find another.

Guest PCBull14

Masiello was not the lone savior I don't think (hold on, I'll check his resume).

He was intriguing, but really a small college head coach in a real small time league.

I liked his fire and energy and toughness. If those remain qualities we are seeking, we'll find another.

We will be fine. Many good coaches still out there.

Those calling for Judy's head... :facepalm:  :lmao: