• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

"It's Easier Now" - Aresco

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Your move, Shadow.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

This thread is entertainment gold, and I have enjoyed being a spectator for a good while on this, but just one thing to say:

If I read something about a P5 school saying they would be happy moving down to a lower level conference, I would almost undoubtedly post it (edit: with a link) on SOME thread here on TBP, because that would actually be pretty major news.

I'm just spiff balling here, but I'd guess 90% of TBP posters that have even the least bit of interest in realignment would do the same thing.

So would you like to tell me where I said a P5 school would be happy moving down to a lower level conference?

Reading comprehension here sucks.

I said that some schools have considered the idea.  It is obviously not unprecedented, so that should not be shocking.

Multiple people on this thread say you said they would be happy to drop down.

Now that I chime in, it's "they considered."

I think you need to clear up some misconceptions here. A link will help.

My apologies GA, apparently I did say that when I was distracted earlier.  

I did not mean, of course, that was a link with quotes from a Syracuse official saying they wanted to move down or up.  But rather lots of chatter from different sources saying this was a very real possibility.  Again, I read lots of sources and arrive at consensus conclusions from all of them.  There is an overwhelming consensus that the Big 12 will have a CCG in the very near future, not several years down the line after they've tested the waters.

• Downvote 1

And please differentiate programs going down to a lower level from the talk that a CCG will be a significant factor in the playoff criteria.  That has been stated by several members of the committee pretty clearly on multiple occasions.

• Downvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

And please differentiate programs going down to a lower level from the talk that a CCG will be a significant factor in the playoff criteria.  That has been stated by several members of the committee pretty clearly on multiple occasions.

Will do ....

- You say there is "lots of chatter from different sources" about the real possibility of an athletic program giving up its' spot in the P5 to move down to a lower conference yet you can't find at least one. Based on a precedent set, my guess is you misread whatever you supposedly came across from those "sources" .... or maybe don't understand what that term you used, "real possibility", means.

- You say that a CCG will be a significant factor in the new playoff selections, stated by a number of member of the committee "on multiple occasions" yet you can't find at least one of those statements. Based on a precedent set (see Osborne,Tom), my guess is you misread whatever you supposedly came across from those "sources" .... or maybe don't understand what that term you used, "pretty clearly",  means.

Will do ....

- You say there is "lots of chatter from different sources" about the real possibility of an athletic program giving up its' spot in the P5 to move down to a lower conference yet you can't find at least one. Based on a precedent set, my guess is you misread whatever you supposedly came across from those "sources" .... or maybe don't understand what that term you used, "real possibility", means.

- You say that a CCG will be a significant factor in the new playoff selections, stated by a number of member of the committee "on multiple occasions" yet you can't find at least one of those statements. Based on a precedent set (see Osborne,Tom), my guess is you misread whatever you supposedly came across from those "sources" .... or maybe don't understand what that term you used, "pretty clearly",  means.

Or maybe you just don't pay attention to the world around you or do much research.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

There has been rumblings that a few of the P5 schools would like to reign in out of control athletic spending and would be perfectly happy pulling out of the arms race and dropping to a lower division than whatever the P5 ends up being.

Link?

Dude.  Here is the deal.  I read a TON of stuff.  I read fast and I like to read.  I often spend a half hour or an hour just wandering around the 'net reading articles and blogs on a particular subject.  I bounce around all over the place getting multiple points of view.  

Some things are easy to find when someone wants a link.  Ask me where Dr Christy acknowledged in court that Global Warming is real and most likely manmade and I can give you the link to the court transcripts where he said that.  Finding a non-specific quote on Google for some of these discussions is next to impossible.  

I've read the same things from multiple unrelated sources on a number of these topics.  It doesn't mean any of this is ironclad.  But I haven't read anyone that believes it is still up in the air as to whether a CCG is important.  Sounds like the Big 12 got stymied on expansion when the ACC managed to get the GOR.  They had to step back and reevaluate.  They are still looking for a loophole.  

The ACC has proposed loosening the rules for a CCG.  The main reason is that the B10, ACC and SEC are getting so many teams they want to make scheduling easier.  It would be easier for them if they can create three or four divisions instead of two.  In order to do that they need to be able to pick two teams for the CCG by their own formula instead of division winners.  If they get that passed, the Big 12 will try once again to see if they can get a CCG without expanding.  Failing that they will almost assuredly expand.

Separately, I have read various sources over the last few months saying that some of the P5 presidents aren't happy with spending so much money on football.  They (shockingly) think an institution of higher learning should have athletic teams but not so that the athletic team is bigger than the school.  

Those conversations have occurred.  Not everything is reported on ESPN.  Believe it or not, I don't care anymore.  But just because it isn't on ESPN headlines doesn't mean conversations have not occurred on any of these subjects.  A great many things are discussed out of the limelight before they become headline news.

Them being not happy spending so much money is not the important part of what you said. You said they'd be happy dropping out of a P5 conference. I call BS ... I'd love to see a credible source that intimated that ... until then, it's got to be treated like your misinterpretation of what Osbourne was talking about.

Of course that's what they meant. No school would be stupid enough to drop down to a lower conference even if they are unhappy with the payment of players. Shadowbull is full of crap.

Granted, it's a while back, and the sports world has seen tectonic changes, but the Ivy League would beg to differ with you.

When the NCAA split 1-A and 1-AA in the late 70's, the ENTIRE LEAGUE chose to move down to the lower level rather than try to outspend the Alabama's, Michigan's and tOSU's of the day.

I thought the reason was academics. I think they don't compete in the FCS championship games either. I thought I read they don't want to spend that time of the year on football game prep by their players.

If there has to be a championship game for every conference then ND is going to have to join a conference in football and that isn't happening.

If there has to be a championship game for every conference then ND is going to have to join a conference in football and that isn't happening.

Right.

Right.

They signed a 10 year TV contract with NBC last year.