• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Employ-A-Bull help

Msanford87

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Online job ads are a joke, the jobs that make it to online ads like that, are the absolute WORST jobs in those companies, that no one else in the company wants. Whatever the job listing advertises, cut the pay in the half, and double the time it'll take to earn half of what they are advertising. 

Waste of time

I think it really depends on your field.  Google, Apple, Amazon, MSFT, Qualcomm, and many other tech companies recruit almost exclusively from on-line listings.  I am sure some of this is the tremendous demand for engineers, but just having a linked in profile and speaking directly to their recruiters is a fine way to get in.  Contacting a friend of a friend who might work there will only slow you down in landing the interview.  Small mom and pop companies are obviously a lot different.

Not disagreeing with anything you said - but it certain fields I wouldn't shy away from a job posting just because it is online or because you don't know anyone in the organization.

One thing I would add is check out the career fair.  Some companies send an HR drone who is nearly useless (collects your resume, puts it in the database, gives you a key chain) but many companies still send hiring managers or senior staff.  Seek them out, talk to them as long as you can, often they'll have special "dinners" for candidates they are interested in to discuss their company.  

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

I found going through HR to be almost a waste of time. It seems everyone that gets hired and most people I know were hired because of their network. HR was more of a formality and sometimes companies even interview people only to comply with equal opportunity laws even though they already know who they will fill the position with even before getting to the interview round.

I found going through HR to be almost a waste of time. It seems everyone that gets hired and most people I know were hired because of their network. HR was more of a formality and sometimes companies even interview people only to comply with equal opportunity laws even though they already know who they will fill the position with even before getting to the interview round.

HR I agree with - but at least in technical fields typically HR and talent acquisition are two completely separate groups.  Talent recruiters are charged with finding the best and brightest - HR is charged with making sure you don't get in legal trouble.  If you are at a career fair it is pretty easy to spot an HR drone (no offense to any HR professionals here)... typically they will ask some canned question and try and hope you said enough words that the engineer wrote down on their script sheet with no real comprehension of what they asked or what you said.  Not suggesting you be rude or blow these folks off as they probably could flag your name somewhere, but you aren't going to land a job from that interaction.  Seek out companies that send staff.

Recruiters aren't typically engineers either, but they often have taken some college level courses in engineering and have basic understanding of the concepts.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

Wow I am kind of disappointed to hear that our university charges to help you find a job. Where I got my degree before USF was Johnson and Wales and they have lifetime and world wide Job finding assistance and a great network to find jobs. 

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  937
  • Days Won:  0

It was free when I was in school. You had to sign up for it to do on campus interviews.

Wow I am kind of disappointed to hear that our university charges to help you find a job. Where I got my degree before USF was Johnson and Wales and they have lifetime and world wide Job finding assistance and a great network to find jobs. 

It is something we should provide as well, but it likely needs to be externally funded by something like an alumni association.  With any state school I think putting that kind of outlay on the school will make it a constant target for cuts or elimination.  Would be a great kind of resource to fund through an endowment.

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  332
  • Days Won:  1

So I graduated recently and joined the alumni association. On here http://www.usf.edu/career-services/alumni/alumni-fee-menu.aspx I found you can sign up for the Employ-a-bull service for $50 for 3 months. I was just wondering has anyone on here ever used it? I would like to know if its worth it and if theres a lot of job postings on there.

It also charges $50 for an hour of job search coaching. I swear when I looked at this page before those things were included in the $50 for 3 months part and now it seems to be two separate things.

But really I'd just like to know if anyone has any experience using any of this stuff. Because just being in the alumni association has its own job site in going global. So just want to know if its worth it to try the employ a bull.

Any help would be appreciated.

You should get 6 months or a year for free for the employ-a-bull site access. That's what I got upon graduating. That being said, I will not be purchasing it once my free time is up. It's pretty much useless. Not very many postings, and not very many local ones either if you live near. Save your money. Like others have said, networking is key. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...