• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Recruiting win?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

Tajee Fullwood tweeted that he was cheering for USF while sitting in the UCF section. As a guest of UCF....AWESOME

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

This loss is going to hurt for a while.  Kloss's missed FG (that I suspect cost him the Groza, unless voting is already in); White's silly INT; Taggart's questionable 4th down play (I support it); wasted 5 TOs; and blown big plays (kick returns, final TD).

But I submit that this is a recruiting win.  Hear me out.  Had UCF smoked us as predicted, O'Leary and his staff would be pointing to the gap between our teams with any recruit on the fence between UCF and USF.

As it is, they can't use this game at all.  In fact, I'd argue that Taggart & Co would say that we're a few players away from beating the top team in the AAC, and that young players were on the field making a difference (both INTs were by freshmen).

Had UCF drilled us, our main argument would be playing time.  Now, we can show that UCF isn't the powerhouse in the league, and that with USF, you can play early, and be a part of the plan to quickly recover dominance over UCF.

COME ON

I DONT THINK FSU KICKER (A FRESHMAN) MISSED A FG ALL YEAR

• Downvote 1

USF already has a better recruiting class than UCF according to rivals. Taggart is earning his money there and building a great team, he just needs to connect the dots on the field and we will be a consistent top 25 team and win the AAC in two years. 

FOR THE LAST 100 YEARS ALL I HAVE READ HERE IS HOW GOOD OUR RECRUITING CLASSES WERE

I LAUGHED EACH TIME

I AM STILL LAUGHING

if coacht doesnt bring in  2 qbs that can play his career at usf wiil be short

• Downvote 1

Yes this game shows we are not really that far away from turning things around.

Offensive recruits with talent will play next season.

we need a qb!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Downvote 1

when recruiting against UCF, we can always fall back on -- "Hey, you are less likely to die at practice at USF"

this strategy didnt work as orlando went on to be a top 25 team and usf went on to be the doormate on conference america

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

This loss is going to hurt for a while.  Kloss's missed FG (that I suspect cost him the Groza, unless voting is already in); White's silly INT; Taggart's questionable 4th down play (I support it); wasted 5 TOs; and blown big plays (kick returns, final TD).

But I submit that this is a recruiting win.  Hear me out.  Had UCF smoked us as predicted, O'Leary and his staff would be pointing to the gap between our teams with any recruit on the fence between UCF and USF.

As it is, they can't use this game at all.  In fact, I'd argue that Taggart & Co would say that we're a few players away from beating the top team in the AAC, and that young players were on the field making a difference (both INTs were by freshmen).

Had UCF drilled us, our main argument would be playing time.  Now, we can show that UCF isn't the powerhouse in the league, and that with USF, you can play early, and be a part of the plan to quickly recover dominance over UCF.

good post

Yes this game shows we are not really that far away from turning things around.

Offensive recruits with talent will play next season.

we need a qb!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow-- what a genius

#SARCASM

holtz couldnt recruit one and coach t hasnt recruited one

genius sounds perfect when describing me 

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

It is a stretch but its much better than a beatdown score like 60-3 like alot of UCF thought it would be.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

What happened tonight was encouraging and much better than I think many of us anticipated. But I think you're completely reaching saying it's a win for recruiting. I mean come on lol. You're a 18 kid sitting in the living room and Willie Taggart says "come to USF, we almost beat UCF" and O'leary says "come to UCF, we dominated the conference, were conference champions, and went to and possibly won a bcs game" Not to mention he can also talk about how USF is now 6-27 or whatever we are now in our last 33 games. Which one are you going to be more impressed with and lean towards? 

You lost me at "lol".  My main point is: our season sux, and UCF is at their best ever.  That was true going into the game, and is now.

However:  UCF wanted to beat us by 40+.  No one denies that.  Had they smoked us like UM did, O'Leary and the gang could laugh at us in every living room they visit.  But by keeping it close, I don't think O'Leary will be pointing to this game as ammo.  We had our 2 senior safeties out (which hurt on the game winning TD), and were 27 point dogs.  UCF fans & alums wants to avenge the 62-14 loss by beating that margin (trust me...I work with some, and they were clear that was a goal at least for those guys).  Yet, we battled, and were in position to win at the end.  O'Leary ain't bragging about this game.

My point was also limited to recruits on the fence between USF-UCF.  Harder to make the argument that UCF is way ahead, when they barely beat us home, given the above.  Of course having a better season would mean more (that boat sailed).  Winning would've been a ton better.  But we did remove a HUGE weapon by playing them as we did.  Freshman made HUGE plays, and the future looks much brighter, IMO.

I hate losing as much as anyone.  All I'm saying is, imagine if this game would've turned out as most expected.

They're 10-1 and we're 2-9. They are way ahead of us. O'Leary can laugh at the fact USF has 6 wins in their last 33 games.. You're reaching. I apologize I will not laugh in a response. 

Yes, it is better for recruiting compared to a complete blowout by them, that's common sense and if that is your only point then fine. I am simply saying just because we lost by 3 is not a win for us in recruiting.

He's only said that 3 or 4 times .... Good grief.

Dear Triple B,

My sincerest apologies for not taking this thread as simple as a common sense statement of our recruiting is in better shape after a close loss rather than a blowout loss. As I'm sure you're aware, not everyone can be nearly as bright or intelligent as you and with that I apologize for my ignorance. Please take me under your wing so that I can learn from the greatest. 

Thanks,

Bulls24

Now on a serious note, maybe I jumped the gun but when I read this game was "a win" for recruiting, I took that as Willie Taggart can use a 3 point loss as a big time persuasion to recruits. Had that been the case I would completely disagree. Given that I understand that the thread simply means a 3 point loss is better for us in a recruiting aspect compared to a blowout loss, NO ****. 

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

What happened tonight was encouraging and much better than I think many of us anticipated. But I think you're completely reaching saying it's a win for recruiting. I mean come on lol. You're a 18 kid sitting in the living room and Willie Taggart says "come to USF, we almost beat UCF" and O'leary says "come to UCF, we dominated the conference, were conference champions, and went to and possibly won a bcs game" Not to mention he can also talk about how USF is now 6-27 or whatever we are now in our last 33 games. Which one are you going to be more impressed with and lean towards? 

You lost me at "lol".  My main point is: our season sux, and UCF is at their best ever.  That was true going into the game, and is now.

However:  UCF wanted to beat us by 40+.  No one denies that.  Had they smoked us like UM did, O'Leary and the gang could laugh at us in every living room they visit.  But by keeping it close, I don't think O'Leary will be pointing to this game as ammo.  We had our 2 senior safeties out (which hurt on the game winning TD), and were 27 point dogs.  UCF fans & alums wants to avenge the 62-14 loss by beating that margin (trust me...I work with some, and they were clear that was a goal at least for those guys).  Yet, we battled, and were in position to win at the end.  O'Leary ain't bragging about this game.

My point was also limited to recruits on the fence between USF-UCF.  Harder to make the argument that UCF is way ahead, when they barely beat us home, given the above.  Of course having a better season would mean more (that boat sailed).  Winning would've been a ton better.  But we did remove a HUGE weapon by playing them as we did.  Freshman made HUGE plays, and the future looks much brighter, IMO.

I hate losing as much as anyone.  All I'm saying is, imagine if this game would've turned out as most expected.

They're 10-1 and we're 2-9. They are way ahead of us. O'Leary can laugh at the fact USF has 6 wins in their last 33 games.. You're reaching. I apologize I will not laugh in a response. 

Yes, it is better for recruiting compared to a complete blowout by them, that's common sense and if that is your only point then fine. I am simply saying just because we lost by 3 is not a win for us in recruiting.

USF24...I wasn't trying to insult you on the "lol"...just gigging you.  Apologies.

My main point was BEFORE the game, UCF was had a big advantage on recruits on the fence between USF and UCF.  Had they beaten us as expected, that further bolsters their claim that we're miles behind UCF.  With the narrow loss, in the final minutes, the "we're miles ahead" argument doesn't hold.

That's my point...I think the recruiting advantage UCF has going into the game was greatly diminished.

Add to that that UCF is young, with few studs leaving, while USF has shown that a impact freshman WILL get get early playing time, helps USF.  We can't change the fact that both schools are having the best & worst seasons.  But this close game takes away a huge recruiting point for UCF.

I now see what you're saying. I agree. Before the game UCF could bash USF over and over and with a blowout that would just make that worse. I don't think their recruiting advantage was greatly diminished, maybe a little but not greatly. They still hold a big time argument to kids seeing as we're now 2-9 (On the verge of 2-10) and regardless of only a 3 point win against us they'll be conference champions and on their way to a BCS game and a possible BCS win and can still point to our 6 wins in the last 33 contests, etc. 

I do agree with you that if they want to get on the field early USF definitely has the edge, but some kids might not view early playing time more important than being able to redshirt and play for a winning team right away. Who knows. Obviously Taggart can out recruit O'leary in his sleep seeing as UCF's recruiting class is very low considering the season they're having. Either way I'm just glad we didn't get pummeled.