• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What makes a good halfitme show (band)?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

I think Ohio State is at one end of the entertainment spectrum and we are way down there at the other end.

And when we talk about the need to "be in the stadium for the pre-game show"...does that imply that the pre-game show has a considerable measure of entertainment value, or is the nut that we're in our seats before the National Anthem? 

Probably a bit of both.  When only 11,000 are showing up in total and only half of them are in their seats by kickoff, it looks pretty bad.  'specially with red seats.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  84
  • Days Won:  0

During the game my brother and I were watching Herd of Thunder and realizing that we never really pay attention. Then we were wondering how our band compares with other. (Neither of us know anything about band). What makes a band good? What makes a good halftime show? I usually just watch the baton twirlers. 

This pretty much answered the question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNe0ZUD19EE

As the brother of a former member of Ohio State's band, I can assure you a lot of the reason they can do what they do is because of the requirements to get in that band.  The whole process is outlined on their Wikipedia and web pages http://osumarchingband.com/osumb/ but about half of the tryout candidates don't survive the cut.  They come from all over the country (and world) and marching in the OSUMB has turned into a 'resume builder' for future band directors and musicians.

It also appeals to many because of its all brass and percussion instrumentation which is unique among major American college bands.  I'm told when the HOT was being formed many years ago, a former OSU bandsman and Music School grad was on the USF School of Music staff.  It was suggested to try the all brass and percussion approach but they decided on the traditional route and to incorporate woodwind instruments (flutes, clarinets, saxophones, etc.).  Who knows, if USF had organized HOT as a brass and percussion ensemble, it might have enjoyed some of the draw TBDBITL enjoys.

It's interesting to note that one of the arrangers for OSU's band lives in the Tampa area.  Steve Pfaffman played percussion in the band and has written and arranged for the band for over 20 years.

O-H !!

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  2,558
  • Days Won:  0

During the game my brother and I were watching Herd of Thunder and realizing that we never really pay attention. Then we were wondering how our band compares with other. (Neither of us know anything about band). What makes a band good? What makes a good halftime show? I usually just watch the baton twirlers. 

This pretty much answered the question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNe0ZUD19EE

As the brother of a former member of Ohio State's band, I can assure you a lot of the reason they can do what they do is because of the requirements to get in that band.  The whole process is outlined on their Wikipedia and web pages http://osumarchingband.com/osumb/ but about half of the tryout candidates don't survive the cut.  They come from all over the country (and world) and marching in the OSUMB has turned into a 'resume builder' for future band directors and musicians.

It also appeals to many because of its all brass and percussion instrumentation which is unique among major American college bands.  I'm told when the HOT was being formed many years ago, a former OSU bandsman and Music School grad was on the USF School of Music staff.  It was suggested to try the all brass and percussion approach but they decided on the traditional route and to incorporate woodwind instruments (flutes, clarinets, saxophones, etc.).  Who knows, if USF had organized HOT as a brass and percussion ensemble, it might have enjoyed some of the draw TBDBITL enjoys.

It's interesting to note that one of the arrangers for OSU's band lives in the Tampa area.  Steve Pfaffman played percussion in the band and has written and arranged for the band for over 20 years.

O-H !!

I-O