• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Things never change for Holtz

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Who's asking for an apology?  An apologist is someone who defends a point of view or person rigorously.  That describes you pretty accurately with regards to Holtz.  I didn't know your feelings were hurt by people calling you a Holtz apologist.  If that's truly the case, then I apologize for that.

As for Amsterdam - of course there's more than the red light district.  Those of us who have been there know that much.  I just didn't feel like ticking off each aspect of Amsterdam because it didn't fit with the point I was trying to make.  Next time I try to make a point like that, though, I'll make sure I do it in a nicer way.  

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I just get a chuckle out of the CWT/Jesus crew that refuse to even possibly kind of maybe slightly acknowledge some of the problems with this team aren't all Holtz's fault. I've said it many times before, I think Skip should have been fired. A head coach is paid to win games and, for whatever reason (which I don't really care about finding out what it was, the bottom line is enough for me) Holtz didn't do that. He seemed like a nice guy. Kids graduated and brought up their grades on his watch. I don't think too many players got arrested for not having a driver's license. What can you say? He didn't succeed on the field. But I still laugh at the crew that acts like Holtz drowned a puppy. Skip came to USF with credentials CWT can't even sniff. Famous coaching tree? Check. Holtz coached under two different Coach of the Year recipients and national championship winners. Take a team to a bowl game? Check. Multiple times. Win a conference title? Check. Two of them. Have a winning record leading up to being hired at USF? Check. 72-50. Doug made an excellent hire with Skip. You can't honestly blame him for the original hire. Yeah, he jumped the gun on the extension, but he's not the first person to do something like that. Hell, the Rays signed Longoria after 6 major league games and it could have very easily blown up in their face. In the end, DW made the right call and axed him even after the extension rather than just stick with him to save money and a little of his pride. And after he did fire Holtz, he appears to have made another excellent hire in CWT, but to sit here today and keep pumping out the "I'm sure CWT will turn this around after he gets rid of Holtz's influence" is horsefeathers. You sound like an idiot. You can hope CWT gets us back on track, but there is absolutely nothing to suggest he will be more successful than Holtz was other than just crossing your fingers. 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I just get a chuckle out of the CWT/Jesus crew that refuse to even possibly kind of maybe slightly acknowledge some of the problems with this team aren't all Holtz's fault. I've said it many times before, I think Skip should have been fired. A head coach is paid to win games and, for whatever reason (which I don't really care about finding out what it was, the bottom line is enough for me) Holtz didn't do that. He seemed like a nice guy. Kids graduated and brought up their grades on his watch. I don't think too many players got arrested for not having a driver's license. What can you say? He didn't succeed on the field. But I still laugh at the crew that acts like Holtz drowned a puppy. Skip came to USF with credentials CWT can't even sniff. Famous coaching tree? Check. Holtz coached under two different Coach of the Year recipients and national championship winners. Take a team to a bowl game? Check. Multiple times. Win a conference title? Check. Two of them. Have a winning record leading up to being hired at USF? Check. 72-50. Doug made an excellent hire with Skip. You can't honestly blame him for the original hire. Yeah, he jumped the gun on the extension, but he's not the first person to do something like that. Hell, the Rays signed Longoria after 6 major league games and it could have very easily blown up in their face. In the end, DW made the right call and axed him even after the extension rather than just stick with him to save money and a little of his pride. And after he did fire Holtz, he appears to have made another excellent hire in CWT, but to sit here today and keep pumping out the "I'm sure CWT will turn this around after he gets rid of Holtz's influence" is horsefeathers. You sound like an idiot. You can hope CWT gets us back on track, but there is absolutely nothing to suggest he will be more successful than Holtz was other than just crossing your fingers. 

Look, I agree with most of your stream-of-consciousness post.  Especially the part about credentials and the hire of Holtz being good.  Most of us liked it at the time and there was nothing to suggest that it would turn out like it did.

Bottom line is the team was an absolute mess at the end of Holtz' tenure.  It didn't come close to resembling the way the team looked when Holtz took over.  Players quitting on the game, storming off temperamentally - it was an utter disaster. 

CWT has turned around worse teams before and I feel he can again, but I'll concede I am crossing my fingers in that regard.  I'm not with the team on a daily basis so I have nothing but faith that he will turn it around, just like I had nothing but faith that Holtz was going to either continue some of the successes we had, and perhaps bring us to new heights.  You mention famous coaching tree - at least in CWT's book  ... check.  Hello, Harbaughs?

Again, I've been nothing but consistent on how I've treated coaches since Leavitt.  If you want to turn a blind eye towards the fact that the USF football team was mental and operational disarray starting at least by the middle of the year last year, that's your prerogative.  My feelings on the way this will turn out are certainly subject to evolution depending on how things go.

I do believe you were the one that wanted to put the majority of the disastrous first game loss squarely on CWT's shoulders though, even though it looked like a repeat of the same team that got Holtz fired.  Seems you were expecting CWT before the season to perform miraculous signs and wonders just like everyone else, but the actual result has left you pining for the days of Skip.  I expected more after the first game, but then I realized my expectations were off base. My feelings are completely objective at this point, especially because we have the benefit of hindsight regarding Holtz.  Are yours?  Again, I don't wish ill will on Skip - I just call it like I see it, like slick says. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

CWT is definitely a product of a solid coaching tree, thats part of the point. There's nothing on his resume we haven't seen before, or better. Thats why my fingers are crossed and I've thrown out any expectations. Though I freely admit I thought CWT would be able to beat McNeese (and FAU) with the personnel on hand. I thought we'd be somewhere in the 4-8 to 6-6 range with our schedule. Holtz certainly didn't kill it in recrutiing, but he didn't leave this team at the bottom of the FCS scrap heap either. His recruiting (if you go by the services, which isn't perfect, but its a hell of a lot better than I can do) was right in line with what we've always done, including where we stand right now with CWT. We recruit at a mid 40s clip, except for one year under Leavitt that everyone now uses as the standard as opposed to the anomaly. 

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

Who's asking for an apology?  An apologist is someone who defends a point of view or person rigorously.  That describes you pretty accurately with regards to Holtz.  I didn't know your feelings were hurt by people calling you a Holtz apologist.  If that's truly the case, then I apologize for that.

As for Amsterdam - of course there's more than the red light district.  Those of us who have been there know that much.  I just didn't feel like ticking off each aspect of Amsterdam because it didn't fit with the point I was trying to make.  Next time I try to make a point like that, though, I'll make sure I do it in a nicer way.  

Yes I know, but the origin of the word is...apology.