• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Austin Aikens, WR (WKU - Plant HS)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Can we he play in 2014?

Joey Knight said yes.

@AlfredoJDH: @TBTimes_Bulls @PlantFootball he's eligible now right?

@TBTimes_Bulls: @AlfredoJDH Yessir

Excellent. Thanks, Hem...not sure if a walk on this late in the season can help, but seems like a quality add for a walk on.

No harm in taking a local kid who's not going to cost a thing. Maybe a few Plant kids drop by to say hello.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,778
  • Days Won:  6

Being one of Taggarts guys at WKU at least he knows the playbook

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

Any idea why he doesn't have to sit out?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Also not a bad thing. So whats his deal, I'm trying to follow the timeline of posts here. He played for CWT, left football for a year when Bobby showed up, is now walking on?

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Also not a bad thing. So whats his deal, I'm trying to follow the timeline of posts here. He played for CWT, left football for a year when Bobby showed up, is now walking on?

That's my guess...and would explain why he can walk on.  I assume walk ons are subject to the same sitting out a year rule, but maybe not, since they don't require the school to pay for them that year.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

This may be what gets him in the game early here. I'm assuming a good amount Coach T's plays from WKU made their way into our playbook. Austin did not play in 2013, and is now ready and eligible for 2014. This could be an excellent add, right up there with our other big receivers.

2012: Aikens emerged as a big-play threat in the passing game as a true freshman, leading the Hilltoppers with 27 yards per catch. He hauled in eight catches on the year, good enough for 217 yards and two touchdowns. He appeared in 10 games, earning a true-freshman high five starts. Joined running back Leon Allen as the only true freshmen to find the end zone. He was one of eight Hilltoppers to score multiple touchdowns in 2012. Aikens posted a career-high 72 receiving yards on just two catches in his Hilltopper debut against Austin Peay (09/01). His 40-yard reception in the second-quarter was also a career-long and set up WKU's third touchdown of the game. He made the first big play for WKU's offense in a win at Kentucky (09/15), reeling in a 29-yard catch on the first offensive play. Aikens caught a five-yard touchdown pass, the first of his career, against ULM (10/20). He snagged a 35-yard touchdown pass from Kawaun Jakes in a nationally-televised game against Middle Tennessee (11/01). Aikens led all receivers with 60 receiving yards in regular-season finale versus North Texas (11/24).

Kid also had a very impressive offer list when he decided to play for Coach T the first time with schools like Boston College, Cincy, Iowa, Mizzou, Vandy among those offering him scholarships.

And of course, he had no offer from USF in 2012.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

This may be what gets him in the game early here. I'm assuming a good amount Coach T's plays from WKU made their way into our playbook. Austin did not play in 2013, and is now ready and eligible for 2014. This could be an excellent add, right up there with our other big receivers.

2012: Aikens emerged as a big-play threat in the passing game as a true freshman, leading the Hilltoppers with 27 yards per catch. He hauled in eight catches on the year, good enough for 217 yards and two touchdowns. He appeared in 10 games, earning a true-freshman high five starts. Joined running back Leon Allen as the only true freshmen to find the end zone. He was one of eight Hilltoppers to score multiple touchdowns in 2012. Aikens posted a career-high 72 receiving yards on just two catches in his Hilltopper debut against Austin Peay (09/01). His 40-yard reception in the second-quarter was also a career-long and set up WKU's third touchdown of the game. He made the first big play for WKU's offense in a win at Kentucky (09/15), reeling in a 29-yard catch on the first offensive play. Aikens caught a five-yard touchdown pass, the first of his career, against ULM (10/20). He snagged a 35-yard touchdown pass from Kawaun Jakes in a nationally-televised game against Middle Tennessee (11/01). Aikens led all receivers with 60 receiving yards in regular-season finale versus North Texas (11/24).

Kid also had a very impressive offer list when he decided to play for Coach T the first time with schools like Boston College, Cincy, Iowa, Mizzou, Vandy among those offering him scholarships.

And of course, he had no offer from USF in 2012.

Any clue why he left WKU?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

My guess would be because he wants to play for Taggart. It also can't hurt that the coach he wanted to play for moved right into his own backyard at USF. Now he not only can play for the coach he originally signed up to play for, but he can also do it in front of his family on Saturdays.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

My guess would be because he wants to play for Taggart. It also can't hurt that the coach he wanted to play for moved right into his own backyard at USF. Now he not only can play for the coach he originally signed up to play for, but he can also do it in front of his family on Saturdays.

He likes the weather, too.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

That's my guess...and would explain why he can walk on.  I assume walk ons are subject to the same sitting out a year rule, but maybe not, since they don't require the school to pay for them that year.

There's no differentiation that I can see between a walk-on or schollie player, http://www.dartmouthsports.com/pdf9/2560991.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=11600 . Only way he meets the sitting out rule is if he was attending classes here last August. He may have gotten a waiver.