• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2013 Scouting Reports: Michigan State

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Michigan State will destroy us.

Brings a tear to my eye.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Michigan State QB competition could be three-way race

EAST LANSING, Mich. — The second scrimmage of Michigan State's preseason camp Saturday should determine which two quarterbacks will get the majority of the practice reps moving forward.

But what if it doesn't? Might MSU give Andrew Maxwell, Connor Cook and Tyler O'Connor chances to compete for the job on the field early in the season?

"There's always chances," MSU coach Mark Dantonio said before practice today.

Asked whether MSU coaches might have to go that route, Dantonio said: "I can't say that. I just, basically, all three of those guys are good players."

"They've all had good scrimmages at times, because we work every day live," Dantonio said. "So they've all done some good things. So we'll see how it all shakes out. But obviously, this scrimmage is a big scrimmage."

Maxwell, No. 1 on the depth chart as a fifth-year senior, is all but guaranteed to be in the mix this season. But O'Connor, the redshirt freshman, has been gaining on Cook, the third-year sophomore who replaced Maxwell and led MSU to the winning field goal drive in the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl.

O'Connor threw two touchdown passes to Bennie Fowler in the first scrimmage and continues to get some first-team reps. Ideally, MSU will start giving more reps to its top two soon.

And that brings the next question: Is O'Connor still No. 3 on the depth chart?

More

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Ah, yes, the tradition is back--all is right with the world once again. I blame you not doing this the past three seasons for the debacle that USF turned into, not Holtz. :D

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Whitfield teaches creativity and reacting to chaos by practicing in strange places. "We worked in the ocean," Cook said. "You have water resistance when you are dropping back. Then all of a sudden, a wave crashes in behind you, which simulates a defensive lineman falling onto your leg."

I mean, hey, if you're going to pressure the guy, why not throw a few sharks in the mix too? What an awful training tool. LOL if he thinks one of our DLs is going to feel like a wave--should be training with waveRUNNERS, not waves.

Edited by raptorcj

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  41
  • Days Won:  0

Michigan State QB competition could be three-way race

EAST LANSING, Mich. — The second scrimmage of Michigan State's preseason camp Saturday should determine which two quarterbacks will get the majority of the practice reps moving forward.

But what if it doesn't? Might MSU give Andrew Maxwell, Connor Cook and Tyler O'Connor chances to compete for the job on the field early in the season?

"There's always chances," MSU coach Mark Dantonio said before practice today.

Asked whether MSU coaches might have to go that route, Dantonio said: "I can't say that. I just, basically, all three of those guys are good players."

"They've all had good scrimmages at times, because we work every day live," Dantonio said. "So they've all done some good things. So we'll see how it all shakes out. But obviously, this scrimmage is a big scrimmage."

Maxwell, No. 1 on the depth chart as a fifth-year senior, is all but guaranteed to be in the mix this season. But O'Connor, the redshirt freshman, has been gaining on Cook, the third-year sophomore who replaced Maxwell and led MSU to the winning field goal drive in the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl.

O'Connor threw two touchdown passes to Bennie Fowler in the first scrimmage and continues to get some first-team reps. Ideally, MSU will start giving more reps to its top two soon.

And that brings the next question: Is O'Connor still No. 3 on the depth chart?

More

I'd be surprised if Maxwell doesn't start. Cook will probably get a couple of series too.