• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Athletics excitement!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Here’s why I’m excited about what’s going on with USF Athletics.

USF didn’t become engaged in college athletics until some short years ago, as compared to the rest of the college world. Heck, our school started in 1956.

I know it’s tough to be in a state where Miami, florida, and Florida State are the dynasties.

But remember this: those programs were winning championships when we didn’t even have football.

As for men’s basketball, we had almost nothing in terms of facilities and funding.

Now, yes, we aren’t in the Big East. Fine. Time to move on and accept reality.

But it doesn’t mean doom and gloom. Me, I see excitement!

1. USF had the gonads to fire a Skip Holtz. That in itself is huge move, a paradigm shift.
  2. USF isn’t paying $9.99 for coaches anymore.
  3. Facilities: we’ve got them now. Sweetness!
  4. Funding: we have about five years worth of fuel for some greatness building at USF Athletics.

We had a lot more to overcome when Leavitt was hired and when he watched the cement posts dry.

We are on the cusp of a huge leap forward!

If you look at the current football coaching staff and compare them to when Leavitt started out, I think you will recognize the upgrade at all positions.

Football put USF on the map, and football is going to take us to our next destination: a power conference invite!

As for men's basketball, we finally have the facilities now. Amen to that.

GO BULLS!

Edited by Beta4East1989
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

Time to move on and accept reality.

Does that mean we should stop clinging to screed of nattily attired puppets? 

Good points though, we're a lot farther down the road than we were in '97. 

• Topic Count:  2,343
  • Content Count:  21,362
  • Days Won:  10

Moving forward with Coach T driving the bus.   I am getting excited for some different looks out of our team.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

WE ARE all fans and enjoy rooting for usf but woth respect to football we are no longer competing with fsu/uf/Miami--they are in the big boy league

we are competing with orland/fau and fiu and I don't believe most aren't disappointed about that

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

WE ARE all fans and enjoy rooting for usf but woth respect to football we are no longer competing with fsu/uf/Miami--they are in the big boy league

we are competing with orland/fau and fiu and I don't believe most aren't disappointed about that

Last time I looked we had a home and home scheduled with FSU... UM is playing us this year and UF won't schedule us. If we're not competing with them then that's on them. I'm pretty sure if it were a fair deal that we'd sign both UM and UF up to series deals in a second.

• Topic Count:  2,343
  • Content Count:  21,362
  • Days Won:  10

UF does not want to touch us

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

In the big picture, we have about a 3 to 4 year window where we still have the cash flow (from conference exit fees), scheduling and talent on the field to do something significant, make some noise on the national front and/or earn a conference move to a P5 conference.

I believe once that window closes that smazza is correct, we will be relegated to compete with the FAU, FIU, Marshall and Ohios of the college football world.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

UF does not want to touch us

Minus some dumb BJ/Holtz errors, we would have beat them at the swamp...I wouldn't want to play us either.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

In the big picture, we have about a 3 to 4 year window where we still have the cash flow (from conference exit fees), scheduling and talent on the field to do something significant, make some noise on the national front and/or earn a conference move to a P5 conference.

I believe once that window closes that smazza is correct, we will be relegated to compete with the FAU, FIU, Marshall and Ohios of the college football world.

How long do you think Leavitt had to build USF from when things first started? There was a deadline back then, too. (We could have been stuck in I-AAAAA forever.)

I like our chances now! --GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

the fact is... no matter who our President / AD / Coach was... we couldnt have escaped the AAC to a bigger conference.

Our only hope is that we do everything in our power to position ourselves for the expiration of B12/ACC GOR. We need to establish ourselves as a top team in the AAC, continue investing in facilities, grow attendance / TV ratings, and get better at travelling to bowls.

If we do all those things and miss the next wave... then i'm pretty sure we will reduce investment next go.