• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

And the next contestant on the "QB is Right"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Wes Lunt, OSU. 6'4" #215 4* out of HS. PS QB 1st True Fr to start at OSU since 1950. Lost his job after he got hurt. He was no 7 prostyle QB in the US Coming out of HS acc. to Rivals.Strong, accurate arm, great pocket presence. Not going to run a lot. 

This one may be the best of the bunch. IL native, maybe he could use some sun.

This is a HS stat. Lunt returned to action on Friday, throwing for 343 yards and 4 touchdowns in the first half against Taylorville. Lunt had missed the first four weeks of the season with a broken foot.

Fr Year at OSU

2012 (Freshman): Became the first true freshman to open a season at quarterback for Oklahoma State since at least 1950 ... Had a completion of at least 42 yards in four of his five starts ... Saw limited playing time in his first career game as OSU was an 84-0 winner over Savannah State ... Was 11-for-11 for 129 yards in that start in less than a quarter of play ... Set a career high and an OSU freshman record when he passed for 436 yards at Arizona in the first road start of his career ... It was the seventh best passing game by a Big 12 quarterback in 2012 ... Tossed the first four touchdown passes of his career in Tucson ... Started against Louisiana and was 3-of-4 passing for 23 yards when he was injured on the sixth play of the game ... Next start came against TCU and he passed for 324 yards in OSU's 36-14 win ... Was 11-of-20 at second-ranked Kansas State when he left the game with an injury ... That effort included a 54-yard touchdown pass to Austin Hays in a true freshman-to-true freshman connection ... Lone completion (on three attempts) in the bowl win went for 12 yards.

This is the perfect guy for Willie. OSU screwed the pooch on this one. Will he look at USF? Broke a foot in HS SR year, Knee injury FR yr at OSU. You get this guy an OL to play behind and he's gonna put up huge nos. Looked at BC, Vandy, UL and Cincy during recruiting. We can't be too far off the radar. This is the one guy who isn't immed avail. that I would consider taking for a transfer. He would be worth waiting for.

Edited by Bullwinkle
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

There's something that doesn't quite smell right about this one.

Why is he transferring? He's in the middle of a competition with a fifth year senior Clint Chelf and with fellow sophomore J.W. Walsh. He must be able to tell that he's third in the pecking order, which doesn't speak highly of him. If Chelf is set to get the job though this comes off as just impatient because Chelf only has one more year there. You've got to pay your dues.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Maybe he didn't appreciate that after graduating early, coming in and winning the starting spot head-on-head and being a True Fr starter. Putting up crazy numbers. Getting injured and coming back to find he had lost his starting spot. I have never done that to a kid i have coached. Their spot is reserved for them until they get back if they earned it in the 1st place. Just my principle, but being on the other side of a different policy, I think  would be really tough.

Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

"This is the one guy who isn't immed avail."

Johnny, who's the next contestant?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

There's something that doesn't quite smell right about this one.

Why is he transferring? He's in the middle of a competition with a fifth year senior Clint Chelf and with fellow sophomore J.W. Walsh. He must be able to tell that he's third in the pecking order, which doesn't speak highly of him. If Chelf is set to get the job though this comes off as just impatient because Chelf only has one more year there. You've got to pay your dues.

Does sound like something happened to change his mind: 

Lunt seemed upbeat about his up-and-down first season while speaking publicly to the media for the first time during the spring, calling it all a roller coaster but a valuable learning experience. He also said then he would be willing to redshirt if he did not win the starting job for 2013.

What's the qb situation at So Miss like? 

Leonard said he couldn’t pinpoint any specific reasons — such as the quarterback derby or a desire to play for a school closer to home — for Lunt’s transfer. But he did admit that former offensive coordinator Todd Monken, Lunt’s primary recruiter, leaving OSU to become the head coach at Southern Miss “didn’t help.â€

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-state-football-quarterback-wes-lunt-to-transfer/article/3808106

Also, he seems kind of injury prone.

• Topic Count:  2,343
  • Content Count:  21,362
  • Days Won:  10

Can we for crying out loud just put all of these QB's into a hat and just select one?

Maybe he didn't appreciate that after graduating early, coming in and winning the starting spot head-on-head and being a True Fr starter. Putting up crazy numbers. Getting injured and coming back to find he had lost his starting spot. I have never done that to a kid i have coached. Their spot is reserved for them until they get back if they earned it in the 1st place. Just my principle, but being on the other side of a different policy, I think  would be really tough.

Edited by ckparrothead

That's the thing about the "crazy numbers" he put up. Clint Chelf and J.W. Walsh put up numbers that were a lot better.

Competition never ends and he should know that. It's not like he got "no chance". He threw 131 passes. But he threw 7 interceptions during that work to only 6 touchdowns.

So now Clint Chelf, a fifth year senior that has paid his dues including I believe also having moved to wide receiver while Weeden was the quarterback not unlike Brandon Mitchell, is leading the pack for the job. And this second year kid is so upset about that he's going to take his ball and glove and go home? And read the article. He's not communicating with anyone. His high school coach has no idea why he's transferring. He's trying to couch it kindly but you can tell.

With Clint Trickett, you can understand his wanting to transfer because he's only got two years of eligibility left, he's a college graduate, and he got beat out for the job by the #1 QB recruit in the nation from 2012 who is still just a freshman. Trickett has paid his dues. He didn't transfer when he didn't get the job over E.J. Manuel in the wake of Christian Ponder getting drafted. Manuel won the job and Trickett stayed. Now Manuel leaves and he's got to compete with the best QB in the nation from 2012 and sure enough, FSU wants the future to be now. It's understandable.

With Brandon Mitchell, you can understand his sense of urgency as he's only got one year left. He's paid his dues. He moved to wide receiver even though he wanted to be a quarterback. He went to the wire in a competition with Tyler Wilson for the job of replacing Mallett in 2011. The competition between he and Brandon Allen (whose brother is being recruited to the program also, hint hint) kind of looks like a sham because they never give Mitchell first team reps and then the coach starts having conversations with Mitchell about moving back to wide receiver. You don't need a black light to read the writing on that wall. Again I have to emphasize though, this guy has paid his dues.

James Mauro, that transfer stinks to me as well. He was the #2 from a year ago and helped lead a come from behind victory. He headed into camp the favorite to start and arguably he's now #3 on the depth chart. He's still young, still has 3 years of eligibility. But in this case at least there's a new coaching staff. That's somewhat of an excuse. He was not their recruit and it's hard to tell what the new staff are going to look for in their signal caller. The main reason I bring him up even though his transfer stinks to me, is because he was Willie Taggart's recruit. Willie Taggart has none of his own recruits in South Florida. He's got TWO Evelds (yuck), Floyd who wasn't his, Trenton Miller who wasn't his, and now you guys are even telling me that Mike White isn't really his. Eventually Willie is going to want to pull some of his own stock into this unit and James Mauro may be an easy way to do that even if I am pretty suspicious of the circumstances under which he transferred.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Can we for crying out loud just put all of these QB's into a hat and just select one?

Unfortunately, no.

They have to select us too :(

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Unfortunately, no.

They have to select us too :(

Bingo.  Was just going to post this.