• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tradition vote on blackboard

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

For new traditions to start in Fall 2013, there are 5 choices on an online ballot that we get to choose from, and get to vote for 3.

A. Cowbells [Kinda seems obvious, but will the American allow it? Big East didn't.]

B. more murals in parking garages [How is that a tradition?]

C. Throwback jersey game honoring past players [Not sure what this means. Do they want someone to wear a Matt Grothe #8 jersey? Or do they want our 1997 throwbacks with a ceremony at halftime to honor that team?]

D. Rocky at graduation [No. Just no.]

E. Adopt unofficial fight song. [Do they mean like Ohio State and Hang on Sloopy (something that evolved over years into a tradition)?]

Needless to say its pretty obvious A. C. E. will finish top 3.

If these are the five choices Student Government narrowed down to, that's a real shame.
C. means the team would play in throwback jerseys, and they would invite past players to be honored.

E. you're correct the example they used was "Rocky Top" at Tennessee.

I'm cool with playing in throwbacks uniforms. The wording just seemed strange. Although the first thing that came to mind was the Rays making fake retro 70s uniforms since they're about as old as we are.

As for the unofficial song, that's not something you can create. Rocky Top and Hang on Sloopy took years to be adopted by the fanbase as tradition. Its funny how they have an official competition to vote on an unofficial fight song.

If we're going with fake retro, this is a good example to follow...

steezbeez.jpg

MY EYES!!!!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

cowbells would never be allowed

• Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  3,616
  • Days Won:  1

Enough of the criticism. You negative Nancy's need to ease off.

I'm glad the student body cares enough to want to start new traditions here at our university. Have you seen the old USF football jerseys? There's a season ticket holder near us who always rocks one, and that think looks throwback and its awesome. Inviting past players would be great for our alumni base as well, have to show respect to those who got you where you are.

Cowbells are a cool idea. And they're LOUD. That'd be something that catches on real quick and would be known throughout the NCAA about us.

Fight song? I like the enthusiasm but I don't know if you can just do that. Hope we can come up with something clever if we do go this route.

They never said how many they'd end up adopting. Could be 1, could be 2, or all 3.

you only approved 2 and shot down 1 lol

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Would the tsa allow cowbells?

It's not up the TSA, it's up at the AAC. Big East has a no-noise maker policy. Can't really say that it would be a "huge" generator of cash from merchandise sales, since they'd be pretty cheap to begin with. 40k cowbells wouldn't net much in royalty, but it would make for a better game atmosphere. 

If blow up pink flamingos are a "projectile", I'm pretty sure they would say the same for cowbells. On;y if there was a precedence here in the bay area about people taking cowbells into sporting events.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I like the effort. Throwback jerseys though? Is that really tradition? Seems more like a one game promotion.

Cowbells would be fun if it were allowed.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

For new traditions to start in Fall 2013, there are 5 choices on an online ballot that we get to choose from, and get to vote for 3.

A. Cowbells

B. more murals in parking garages

C. Throwback jersey game honoring past players

D. Rocky at graduation

E. Adopt unofficial fight song.

Needless to say its pretty obvious A. C. E. will finish top 3.

Before we adopt an unofficial fight song, the USF community should learn to sign the official fight song (at the appropriate cadence).

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

WTF?

Who in the hell came up with this top 5? Also how in the hell are these traditions??

A. Cowbells - The A12 won't allow this... the Big East did not. Regardless not a tradition... this should just be something we naturally do since our mascot is a Bull.
B. more murals in parking garages - This is a facilities management issue not a tradition... whats gonna be on next years ballot, "Green and Gold urinal cakes in the Marshall Center bathrooms?"
C. Throwback jersey game honoring past players - ?? We are not old enough to have this game... this should be on the ballot 30 years from now when our program is at least middle aged vs. a teeny bopper.
D. Rocky at graduation - ?? He is already at graduation... has been there since 2008.
E. Adopt unofficial fight song - This is not something we can just make up over night. What's our unofficial fight song gonna be? "All I wanna do is win"? If so then I'll have to consider staying home on my couch because I hate that ******* song. What other options do we got? "Wolly Bully" or "Bulls on Parade"? Its hard to pull something like this out of your ass.

I like how this poll left out a live bull when the Facebook traditions group poll results showed that a live bull was the #1 request of the fans.

Edited by Bubba Bull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

These are probably based on a mini-survey asking students what they would like. I remember last year my club and I somehow got Humans vs. Zombies pushed into the top five. Not expecting it to, naturally. lol.

We've gone through enough jerseys though to unveil something classic. Like, 1997 classic. Complete with the Brahman on the helmet.

Edited by Breedwell

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  126
  • Days Won:  0

guys just a reminder, this same initiative was taken last year and if i remeber correctly, the winning tradition was having a live bull at our football games. did anyone see a live bull at ray jay this past season or am i the only one that missed it?