• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I'm thankful USF is a clean program

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,008
  • Days Won:  12

With the Mike Rice case up at Rutgers (bball coach verbally and physically abused players) and subsequent unlawful termination case (someone fired in Rice's place apparently) (warning: that's an ESECPN link), and the new case at Auburn (more pay-for-play), I'm very thankful USF is a relatively clean program. We've had our moments, but nothing outright dirty or unethical. We are a clean program, and I hope we keep it that way. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

The Sheriff in 3...2...1...

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

You're always "relatively clean" until you get caught.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

With the Mike Rice case up at Rutgers (bball coach verbally and physically abused players) and subsequent unlawful termination case (someone fired in Rice's place apparently) (warning: that's an ESECPN link), and the new case at Auburn (more pay-for-play), I'm very thankful USF is a relatively clean program. We've had our moments, but nothing outright dirty or unethical. We are a clean program, and I hope we keep it that way. 

Mike Rice's infractions were worse than Jim Leavitt's because they happened repeatedly and were seemingly just how the dude was rather than Leavitt apparently just losing his cool once. That said, the two cases are similar enough that I don't think it makes sense to call USF "clean" and Rutgers "not clean." I also agree that every school is "clean" only until its own dirty laundry gets exposed. Maybe there's nothing going on at USF as offensive as what Mike Rice did, but I'm sure there are things somewhere that one or more USF coaches and/or administrators wouldn't want brought to light. Not a knock against USF, just a statement on the nature of college sports and the NCAA.

I don't think either school, Rutgers with Mike Rice or USF with Leavitt, handled the situations in an even remotely professional manner (albeit for very different reasons), even if the final results were right, so I don't think that distinguishes the two cases either.

Edited by gobulls83

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  0

there will always be a few little things...we just don't want any major ones (UM,USC or God for bid a PennSt).

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I obviously don't have any proof of this, it's just my own impression, but I don't believe there's a single FBS school that, were the NCAA to actually conduct a thorough and professional investigation, would escape being found guilty of severe infractions. There's too much money at stake in college football for universities and coaches to play by the NCAA's flexible and arbitrarily enforced rules.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,008
  • Days Won:  12

Yes there was Leavitt, and an issue with WBB a few years back. But it's nothing like our AD or President tolerating sexual abuse, outright physical abuse, or blatant pay-for-play. Proud to be a Bull. STAMPEDE

EDIT: no i dont work for the NCAA

Edited by hm101

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Too bad the bike thief wasn't fired.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

You're always "relatively clean" until you get caught.

Yep. Who knows what is going on behind the scenes?