• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Good article by Greg on USF Football schedule

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

We know that Clemson e-mailed to offer a home-and-home with the Bulls starting this fall, but USF already had its 2013 season booked and wasn't able to make it happen; we know that USF and Georgia Tech talked at one point but weren't able to work anything out.

So Clemson is not scared of us.

we should have postponed mcneese state or FAU and fit clemson in this year.

how is it possible we couldn't work anything out with georgia tech? we don't have a complete schedule for any year but this year.

Agreed

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

We know that Clemson e-mailed to offer a home-and-home with the Bulls starting this fall, but USF already had its 2013 season booked and wasn't able to make it happen; we know that USF and Georgia Tech talked at one point but weren't able to work anything out.

Special case. They want revenge for the bowl game

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  0

Special case. They want revenge for the bowl game

More likely just another date in FL, in addition to UM and FSU, as a way to keep the recruits heading north to SC.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

It's laughable that teams are scared to play us, so I don't know what it could be. Only thing it comes down to is incompetence of our AD and Judy for allowing it.

I think when some use "scared" they are overstating a fact which should not be ignored.  The big programs would prefer to schedule teams which have virtually no chance in Hades of beating them.  Just look at Florida for example.  They rarely play anyone out of conference which even 1 out of 10 years would have a shot. So when Clemson and Ga. Tech come calling, I am not sure why you would not make something happen. Edited by Mission9

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

It's laughable that teams are scared to play us, so I don't know what it could be. Only thing it comes down to is incompetence of our AD and Judy for allowing it.

I think when some use "scared" they are overstating a fact which should not be ignored.  The big programs would prefer to schedule teams which have virtually no chance in Hades of beating them.  Just look at Florida for example.  They rarely play anyone out of conference which even 1 out of 10 years would have a shot. So when Clemson and Ga. Tech come calling, I am not sure why you would not make something happen.

UF plays FSU every year. they play at miami this year.that's in addition to lsu, georgia, south carolina, arkansas etc.

our conference mates will for the most part be considered cupcakes. our entire schedule is loaded with them.

they play a very tough conference schedule. they have no need to make it any tougher. it's usually a top 5 schedule every year even with the cupcakes. imagine if we played alabama, lsu, auburn, georgia, south carolina as an OOC every year.

BTW there are plenty of top programs that play tough OOC opponents. using UF as an example is misleading at best.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

hahaha

i have been saying same thing for years

wollard needs to go yesterday

I think when some use "scared" they are overstating a fact which should not be ignored.  The big programs would prefer to schedule teams which have virtually no chance in Hades of beating them.  Just look at Florida for example.  They rarely play anyone out of conference which even 1 out of 10 years would have a shot. So when Clemson and Ga. Tech come calling, I am not sure why you would not make something happen.

UF plays FSU every year. they play at miami this year.that's in addition to lsu, georgia, south carolina, arkansas etc.

our conference mates will for the most part be considered cupcakes. our entire schedule is loaded with them.

they play a very tough conference schedule. they have no need to make it any tougher. it's usually a top 5 schedule every year even with the cupcakes. imagine if we played alabama, lsu, auburn, georgia, south carolina as an OOC every year.

BTW there are plenty of top programs that play tough OOC opponents. using UF as an example is misleading at best.

You missed my point. FSU does not count because it is state mandated. They do not play UM on a regular basis. The SEC teams they have no say and have to play them. So the teams they actually have a choice are usually 1AA or lesser 1A programs (UM on the rare occasion is the exception). My statement cannot be denied and overlooks what is important.... When one of the bigger schools reaches out to you, you have to make it happen.

We have never been seen as equals to any of the "big 5" so while big program from the SEC may play a big program from the Pac 10, each may be reluctant to schedule a "lesser program" on an equal home and home basis. That said, it is the AD's job to find the programs which will do this and they may have to take the one and done road games in the future. Pointing out the reality of tougher scheduling does not mean it is and excuse, just a reality. If the AD chose not to find a way to work with Clemson and Ga. Tech, this has to be a negative mark for him.

Edited by Mission9
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913

No one said anyone didn't try to make anything work with Georgia Tech or Clemson. If Clemson wants a game in 2013 and you're full in 2013, it's late in the game to even try to move games to make something happen. Dates have to line up on both ends. Just trying to establish the level of school USF has had conversations with, even if it hasn't resulted in a game on the schedule.

And why wouldn't FSU count toward Florida's nonconference schedule? If you win the SEC, you're going to be in good shape from a national title standpoint.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,421
  • Days Won:  3

IMO …Given the size of our sports program, complexity, delegation of duties I doubt that Doug Woolard is in direct contact with any schools until preliminary details are completed. 

My suggestion is to take a REALY CLOSE IN DEPTH LOOK at the qualifications of the individuals doing this preliminary work…

MY suggestion ….this  is probably a weak point in the  USF AD organization that needs a replacement and or additional staffing..

Go Bulls

No one said anyone didn't try to make anything work with Georgia Tech or Clemson. If Clemson wants a game in 2013 and you're full in 2013, it's late in the game to even try to move games to make something happen. Dates have to line up on both ends. Just trying to establish the level of school USF has had conversations with, even if it hasn't resulted in a game on the schedule.

And why wouldn't FSU count toward Florida's nonconference schedule? If you win the SEC, you're going to be in good shape from a national title standpoint.

FSU counts as a nonconference game but they have to play it. No one is doubting that UF can play the sacrificial lambs out of conference and be in good shape. I am talking about the open dates schools have for a team like USF. I used UF since they are kind of an extreme example. USF is in a tough spot because we are seen as less than most of the bigger programs (did you see the uproar over Miami's scheduling USF for a 3 for 3?) but are not a sacrificial lamb either. Thanks for the clarification on Clemson. Edited by Mission9