• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Scramble at QB remains wide open

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Scramble at QB remains wide open

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published March 30, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Approaching the halfway point, USF's spring quarterback competition is a three-way tie, with one contender moving to a different position.

Freshman Louis Gachette got his first work at free safety Tuesday, and coach Jim Leavitt said there's no clear leader among returning starter Pat Julmiste, transfer Courtney Denson and walk-on Anthony Severino.

"It's probably dead even right now, and we've got to get it down to two," Leavitt said. "We'll work two the second half of spring. I hope somebody can pull away by the end of this week. We can't give enough reps to three guys."

Severino, a 6-foot-2, 185-pound sophomore from Jesuit, has held his own with Julmiste and Denson.

"We worked Severino with the 1s some today," Leavitt said. "He doesn't make mistakes with the ball. He's moving the offense real well. I know he doesn't look the part. He's a skinny little guy, but he's getting it done right now."

Gachette, 6-3 and 205, played defensive back sparingly in high school but told coaches that was where he wanted to play. Leavitt said he still could move again to receiver but has a chance to stick there with a strong spring.

"We're excited about him," co-defensive coordinator Rick Kravitz said. "He's a great athlete, and he's still learning how to get back into tackling, but he's a real smart kid and I'm looking forward to working with him."

BIG AUDITION: Forward Terrence Leather, hoping to be USF's first NBA draft pick in 19 years, will be one of 64 seniors showcased for scouts at the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament next weekend in Virginia.

"I'm always excited to lace 'em up, but this is a great opportunity," Leather said. "All I can do is go out, work hard and try to leave a good impression on the scouts."

A strong showing in Portsmouth could get the 6-9 Robinson graduate a spot in the league's draft workouts in Chicago, another important step to being draft material.

"Just the fact that Terrence is on their radar, his being invited to Portsmouth, it provides him a stage to elevate his status even higher," coach Robert McCullum said.

CLOSING IN: Two weeks before the spring signing period begins, the Bulls brought in Viviane Nascimento, a 5-11 wing player from Brazil, for an official visit Tuesday.

"I think they're way high on her list," said Darin Grover, her coach at Northeastern Oklahoma A&M, where she averaged 12.0 points and hit more than 40 percent of her 3-pointers. "She loves the location, and (assistant coach Sadiaa Jones) has done a great job recruiting her."

Nascimento, who played guard in junior college but is athletic enough to play forward as well, is also being recruited by Memphis, Ohio and West Virginia.

The Bulls have an extra scholarship available because freshman forward Nikki Munneke has left the program. Munneke, who averaged 1.5 points and 5.7 minutes a game, is expected to transfer to Odessa (Texas) College.

THIS AND THAT: Both USF graduate assistants in football have taken jobs elsewhere, with former Bulls receiver Ryan Hearn getting hired Monday as receivers coach at The Citadel. Former Bulls safety Kevin Verpaele is leaving to be defensive coordinator under former USF running back Otis Dixon at Lakewood High. Leavitt said his offensive GA opening has been offered to ex-USF quarterback Marquel Blackwell. "If Marquel wants to do it, it's totally his call," he said. ... Walk-on tight end Will Bleakley, a junior from Crystal River, was on crutches at Tuesday's practice, having sprained a ligament in his right knee in Saturday's practice. Leavitt said the injury won't require surgery. ... Former Bulls hoops standout Jimmy Baxter is playing professional basquetebol for the Oliveirense team in Portugal. Baxter, who was cut by the National Basketball Development League's Fort Myers franchise in November, is averaging 8.4 points in his first eight games, with the league's season running through April 23.

Times staff writer Greg Auman covers USF. Reach him at 813 226-3346 or auman@sptimes.com

[Last modified March 30, 2005, 01:04:14]

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/03/30/Sports/Scramble_at_QB_remain.shtml

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest S.  Bien

I must say I can't believe Severino is putting up such a fight.  Boy I am hoping it's because Anthony has come a long way, and not because Denson, or Julmiste is stepping up.  

Good move to get Gachette out of there, he's not going to win the spot so you might as well get as many reps for the guys who may win.   It's also good to finally have a QB position change and actually be excited about the prospects of that player at his new position.  There's no denying that Louis is 6-2 205, and runs in the 4.5's, and I've heard a 34 inch vert.  You could put an athlete like that at a lot of positions.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

Just saw a piece on A.D. McPherson's pro day.  He had a 40" vertical,  ran his 40s in the mid-4.5 range. (He ran one against the wind, and one with the wind.) Near the end of his position drills, he threw a flat-footed pass 72 yards.

Ah, what could have been....

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

makes few mistakes

sounds like what we need as a back up

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Hoping the best for Gachette ... good for a young man to try his best to help the team.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

hoping coach is just talking and that denson is actually winning this competition or i think we are in for another lon season.  :-[

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

I must say I can't believe Severino is putting up such a fight.  Boy I am hoping it's because Anthony has come a long way, and not because Denson, or Julmiste is stepping up.

I read that and thought the same thing. I thought we heard that Denson was doing a great job in practice last season. ..... Hopefully, Severino has made a HUGE, I mean HUGE, jump.

Guest S.  Bien
hoping coach is just talking and that denson is actually winning this competition or i think we are in for another lon season.  :-[

Leavitt's notorious for coaches speak, he uses it all the time for motivation and to send messages.   Denson and PJ are probably the top 2, but he wants to push them both further.  Don't discount PJ, one past bad season doesn't mean he's destine for failure.  If he beats out Denson that is a good sign!

But even the fact that Severino is battling it out is amazing.  A real good sign actually for him and us even if PJ and Denson are way ahead.  If Severino's truly stepped up then that's allowed the staff to move Gachette to a new position much earlier then expected.  His athleticism could be a huge aspect to us, especially at two positions notoriously shallow right now- safety and wide receiver.  He's a sharp kid, with excellent size for those positions.  Hopefully he learns quickly, and helps us somewhere else.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Leavitt's notorious for coaches speak, he uses it all the time for motivation and to send messages.

That was my thoughts exactly.  Another question is did Serevino play against the 1s.  There's the big difference.  If the Os 1s were playing mop up vs. an eclectic group of the Ds 2s 3s & scout team, then of course, he'd look much improved.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

If Grothe or Hill are quick learners of the offense and are as good as touted they will be starting very early in the season, if not the opener.  What I don't like is that no QB has stuck out this far of the 3 we have.  Someone needs to take the lead by the end of sping or what I mentioned at the top will definitely be true.