• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Chicken v. Egg

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

We all know that winning leads to better attendance, and that good noisy crowds can help you win home games.

Which comes first?

Does it matter?

We (as fans) have little influence over what the coaches and players can do on the court/ field, right?

But we can control what we do.

So what can we do (as fans) to try and increase the level of attendance, and at least try to kick start the virtuous cycle?

Emails to the AD to improve marketing?

Volunteering?

Suggesting new types of events?

Inviting friends to games?

Writing articles for the Trib/Times?

What about us out-of-towners? What can we do?

Go Bulls!!

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

Given the general mood Tampa has towards athletics (Rays, Bolts, Bucs), I'm gonna say that winning will lead to attendance. If they play a big team and have been doing well, then we can expect some crowds. But if they're not doing too great, RJS will be empty.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

We are going to have to win to draw crowds, our conf mates will not draw a crowd...

I'm concerned we will do better, based upon the lesser competition here in the conference, and our fan base will become apathetic

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

We are going to have to win to draw crowds, our conf mates will not draw a crowd...

I'm concerned we will do better, based upon the lesser competition here in the conference, and our fan base will become apathetic

I think if we get to a point where we pound the lesser competition, people will show up.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

I think it's true most anywhere for a team with little to no winning tradition.  You have to win.

That was the best thing about Bulls football pre-2010.  They were capturing interest.

I don't think anyone jumps on board until such time as we are knocking on the door of the Top 25 - at a minimum.  There is no amount of marketing that will convince potential fans that a new head coach is reason enough to come take a look.

In the meantime, the real fans that have been supportive of the program need to keep doing so and need to keep trying to introduce new people to the program.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

USF can look to Miami as the example: win and they show up. Lose and the players play alone.

Nov21-2009.jpg

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,421
  • Days Won:  3

Bulliever said

In the meantime, the real fans that have been supportive of the program need to keep doing so and need to keep trying to introduce new people to the program.

IMO He is 100% correct...

The “real fans†comprehend a programs ups and downs. They look at the team and recognize improvement in recruiting and coaching. They know that Rome was not built in a day and their day will come.

They also know there is nothing like being in a stadium and experience an epic win.

Go Bulls

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

USF can look to Miami as the example: win and they show up. Lose and the players play alone.

Nov21-2009.jpg

100% Agree!!!  I was watching the ESPN 30 for 30 about the University of Miami's rise in the early 1980s.  I had not seen it in quite a while.  So many of the things we discuss on here were the things they did back in those early days.  University of Miami was a nothing program in the 1970s.  A laughing stock that drew less than 10,000 people a game.  Schnellenberger was pretty much the last ditch effort to turn that program around.  They started to win and the then they started selling out.

It's kind of funny because it really all started with picking up 2 top recruits, home town Miami kids that flipped the rest of the top tier talent into going to Miami.  

Go back and watch that.  They were facing the same kind of recruiting crap we dealing.  All the major programs were coming in and taking the local talent away.  

Anyway, back to the topic.  Just start winning in a big way and a consistent way and the fans will come out to support the team.  

• Topic Count:  2,343
  • Content Count:  21,362
  • Days Won:  10

Miami has a worse problem than USF.   They are a private school that is extremely expensive.  Miami will not win a National Championship again.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Us core will always be there; good bad or ugly...