• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kirk and Dinger this morning talking about the 'Bama boys and USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Bring in all 4 if they are sincere and willing to go down the right path.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I grew up in Seminole Heights in the 70's, I got mugged walking home from Broward Elementary, I got mugged at Giddens park. I don't go around beating the snot out of people. Yes, where you were raised has an impact on how you behave, it also allows you to see how NOT to behave. Nature AND Nurture have roles in who we turn out to be, I don't want those guys on campus let alone the football program. Robbery is bad enough, but beating 2 kids, no way, no how. If that's what it takes to win, then count me out.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  332
  • Days Won:  1

See? Paying players doesn't make things better. Yes, I'm insinuating Alabama pays their players. Someone insert the "stirring the pot" emoji, I can't cause I'm on my phone. Thanks in advance.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Maybe there are enough athletes that we can recruit that are scholars as well, but if you want to WIN and WIN NOW you'd be silly not to take a look at Calloway at least. I'd never be for trying to grab all 4 of them because they seem like they get into trouble together. These kids were the top HS players in the country who are currently Freshman or Redshirt Freshman. When you get a group of kids together and one or two of them are bad seeds, some of these kids go along with it due to peer pressure. We couldn't sniff talent like this otherwise.

This wasn't something that can be dismissed with "oh, peer pressure."  They beat some poor kid within an inch of his life to rob him.  When you do that, YOU are the bad seed.

No. THEY didn't, Hayes and Williams did and admitted as such. Pettaway claims that he was not involved and Calloway admitted to using one of the stolen cards for a vending machine purchase, neither particpated in the battery. I'm not saying these are good kids, I am saying 2 of them are being charged with felonies and the other 2 currently are not. Not everyone grows up in the suburbs with white picket fences surrounding them. I am also saying these kids are top talent in the country. Would I take a chance on Calloway and or Pettaway? Maybe. Hayes and Williams are the bad seeds. In the end it's a shame when kids like this get mixed up with the wrong types of people, which I am sure happened well before coming to Alabama.

That means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, and is a ******** excuse if used.

It doesn't matter where you grow/grew up.  Rich people or poor people can become either murders or saints.

It's about who you are.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Obviously you've never taken courses in the psychoanalysis of criminal behavior or have had much to do with law enforcement and/or investigations.

currently sitting in a criminal law class discussing this topic, while it may be used an explanation it is not a defense in and of itself.  I will accept that you may be more likely to go that route, I am merely saying that regardless it is not a reason to allow someone to rob another person.

I grew up in a rough area, I am going to rob this person who has something I want.  To me that is not a justifiable excuse.

In this case, these kids encountered a perfect storm. Their neighborhood, upbringing (including parental influence or lack thereof), and choice of friends has ultimately shaped who they are for the forseeable future. And, in most cases, starting off by growing up in a rough neighborhood is your first strike. Are there exceptions? Of course. But the law of averages shows that more often than not you have more impoverished neighborhood kids getting into trouble than kids living in an upper class neighborhood.

I was not claiming that location of residence alone predicts the outcome of a child, as most know it is a culmination of happenings that creates this; my apologies for the miscommunication.

While I still agree that it sounds like too much trouble (especially now that it's become a national media spectacle), from a football performance perspective I believe taking one or both of the two students who were NOT involved in the battery could be worth the risk. Hayes and Williams were the aggressors, and would not be worth the risk. Williams is setting himself up for a hard life with his gun charge and now the second degree robbery charge. Either way everyone is entitled to their own opinions. We will win regardless, I have faith in CWT.

and dogma, you are flat out wrong. As I stated above, empirical published data suggests otherwise.

Edited by Hem

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  183
  • Days Won:  0

See? Paying players doesn't make things better. Yes, I'm insinuating Alabama pays their players. Someone insert the "stirring the pot" emoji, I can't cause I'm on my phone. Thanks in advance. 

:stirpot:

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Leavitt gave Colby Erskin lots of second chances, and you see where it got him.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

In this case, these kids encountered a perfect storm. Their neighborhood, upbringing (including parental influence or lack thereof), and choice of friends has ultimately shaped who they are for the forseeable future. And, in most cases, starting off by growing up in a rough neighborhood is your first strike. Are there exceptions? Of course. But the law of averages shows that more often than not you have more impoverished neighborhood kids getting into trouble than kids living in an upper class neighborhood.

That's kind of the problem.  I'm all for second chances but whatever excuses may be made it looks like all 4 of these kids were linked to, or benefited from, an extremely violent crime perpetrated on an innocent student.  Not something I can give a free pass on.  

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  332
  • Days Won:  1

I think you guys are forgetting that all we do is "win, win, win, no matter what." Based on this, get them suited up.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Three of them have admitted to violently beating and robbing fellow students, no thanks

We are not a rehab center, and the laibility should they relapse would be killer.

Calloway would be the only one I would consider, and he'd be on a 3-inch leash. One missed class or practice and he's out.