• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF's "AQ" football legacy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

uconn made the big east look bad when they went to the bcs

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

based on performance on field its cinci and not even close.

USF has never won anything or played in a major bowl. We've had some big and exciting victories though. 

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Wonder what good/great span of football did programs like Duke or Vandy or either Miss school have before their conference invites. Or was it something not measured in w/l or TV market that got them in?

Realize that you're not entirely serious but, actually, Duke and Vandy had won numerous association/conference championships before becoming charter members of their current conferences ...

I guess I am not old enough to recall either having a football program that wasn't a laughing stock. And Ole Miss and Miss St?

Is the Big East the only AQ conference to kick a member out?

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

based on performance on field its cinci and not even close.

USF has never won anything or played in a major bowl. We've had some big and exciting victories though.

This...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,730
  • Days Won:  425

Wonder what good/great span of football did programs like Duke or Vandy or either Miss school have before their conference invites. Or was it something not measured in w/l or TV market that got them in?

Realize that you're not entirely serious but, actually, Duke and Vandy had won numerous association/conference championships before becoming charter members of their current conferences ...

I guess I am not old enough to recall either having a football program that wasn't a laughing stock. And Ole Miss and Miss St?

For their TV markets ....

Is the Big East the only AQ conference to kick a member out?

During the AQ era, I think so ...

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

Well, let's see...I know you kids don't like to crack open the history books, given that - for you - "history" started sometime around '97. However,

Ole Miss does have a handful of conference championships, going back to the early 60's. USF, for whatever reason, has none.

Mississippi State started playing back in 1895 - close to a century before USF had the trailers towed. They lost the SEC championship back in '98.

USF has yet to lose a conference championship, having never actually played in one. They finished in the top twenty-five in '99, '00 & '10. 

So, I'm guessing the 'value added' caveat does mean something to the SEC which, unfortunately, the U of SF doesn't appear to have at this point in time. 

Duke being a charter member of the ACC, did not have to contend with 'invites'. The last time they moved the football needle was back in '94.

Vanderbilt, well, never has moved the needle much at all, but admit it....when you think of Duke & Vandy, athletics doesn't come to mind. 

But Vandy was a charter member of the SEC, so again, exempt from invite-itis. 

It really helps to be in on the ground floor...that way you're not constantly checking the mailbox or waiting for the phone to ring. 

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  2

Maybe we are the NCAA D1 example of the Peter Principle.

We were promoted to our level of incompetence. Now, we're being demoted, and it will be twice as hard to EARN our way back up. Especially given the environmental changes taking place.

Could be a valid theory ..... if we had done anything in CUSA.

I started following USF athletics in 1983 when i  first enrolled. Since then I've seen us move from the Sun Belt to the Metro to C-USA and to the Big East. Each was a promotion, going from a lesser to a better conference.  IIRC, absolutely NONE of those promotions was because we had proven ourselves on the basketball court or later the football field to be a dominant force that was too good for the conference we were moving up from. We were always promoted because of "potential", meaning our large size, and large and favorably-located market. Unfortunately, those factors didn't help us this time around.

Edited by BatonRougeBull87

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  2

All four of those schools are charter/fouding members of the ACC and SEC respectively, so none of them were ever "invited" to those conferences. They helped create them.

And really, Ole Miss and Mississippi State are not exactly basket-case programs. Ole Miss has won 3 Cotton Bowls in the past 10 years, while Mississippi State has won the Liberty, Gator, and Music City bowls over the past 5 years.

Edited by BatonRougeBull87

Well, let's see...I know you kids don't like to crack open the history books, given that - for you - "history" started sometime around '97. However,

Ole Miss does have a handful of conference championships, going back to the early 60's. USF, for whatever reason, has none.

Mississippi State started playing back in 1895 - close to a century before USF had the trailers towed. They lost the SEC championship back in '98.

USF has yet to lose a conference championship, having never actually played in one. They finished in the top twenty-five in '99, '00 & '10. 

So, I'm guessing the 'value added' caveat does mean something to the SEC which, unfortunately, the U of SF doesn't appear to have at this point in time. 

Duke being a charter member of the ACC, did not have to contend with 'invites'. The last time they moved the football needle was back in '94.

Vanderbilt, well, never has moved the needle much at all, but admit it....when you think of Duke & Vandy, athletics doesn't come to mind. 

But Vandy was a charter member of the SEC, so again, exempt from invite-itis. 

It really helps to be in on the ground floor...that way you're not constantly checking the mailbox or waiting for the phone to ring. 

Not sure exactly who/what you're responding to but in slick and my conversation, Ole Miss's SEC records wouldn't come into play .... and actually, all the teams in slick's original question were charter members of their current Power 5 conferences so all were exempt from invite-itis. 

Maybe we are the NCAA D1 example of the Peter Principle.

We were promoted to our level of incompetence. Now, we're being demoted, and it will be twice as hard to EARN our way back up. Especially given the environmental changes taking place.

Could be a valid theory ..... if we had done anything in CUSA.

I started following USF athletics in 1983 when i  first enrolled. Since then I've seen us move from the Sun Belt to the Metro to C-USA and to the Big East. Each was a promotion, going from a lesser to a better conference.  IIRC, absolutely NONE of those promotions was because we had proven ourselves on the basketball court or later the football field to be a dominant force that was too good for the conference we were moving up from. We were always promoted because of "potential", meaning our large size, and large and favorably-located market. Unfortunately, those factors didn't help us this time around.

Agree ... which means charsibb's Peter Principle theory is pretty much invalid.