• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Good Bad Ugly vs Youngstown State

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Good

- Solid win.

- Victor Rudd. Double-double and career high in rebounds. Need him playing at this exact level the rest of the season. No higher, no lower. My fear is that this will go to his head and tries to go to that higher level and will look foolish (ex. the last attempted thunder dunk towards the end of the game).

- Not caving. We rode out the storm and came out ahead in the end. A very mature response and good to see at this point in the season.

- Second half defense. Holding YSU to no baskets in the last 9:45, only giving up 3 FTs is very very impressive. Of course, the main reason was getting YSU's Perry (#3) into foul trouble and fouling out, but still very impressive.

Bad

- Very rusty start. At least, I hope it was rust. Our defense looked shaky in the first half; losing men on screens and assignment switches. Really stepped up late, but still need to see that Root Canal Defense for a full 40 minutes.

- Jordan OMG. Love the big guy, but the two times he had a chance to do something he muffed them up with travels. Certainly needs to improve the footwork.

- Watching Stan Heath go off on Jawanza when leaving the court at halftime. Ohhhhh to be a fly on the wall in that locker room.

- Love our new football coach, but disappointed that he got the loudest cheer and ovation of the night at a basketball game. Even when Rudd was taken out of the game at the end, he barely got a recognition for an outstanding performance. Yep, football is king at this school.

Ugly

- Forced plays. There were a number of times where our guys forced shots and passes that weren't there. I'm glad they are being aggressive, but they also need to be smart and play within themselves.

- The poor kid picked to do the halftime contest who couldn't make a single basket in 75 seconds. Not even a layup. *facepalm*

- Student section. Once again, sat on their rear end most of the game and made little noise. Guess they only show up if its a big name opponent. (Not getting into the whole school is out topic).

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Didn't we get some shots blocked (from a smaller team)?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,718
  • Days Won:  109

Pretty good analysis right there Outrunner. Not much to add to it other than I would love to see Fitzpatrick make a freaking lay up on occasion. Think he was about 1 for 7 right under the basket.

Is Musa Abdul - Aleem (sp?) supposed to be a scoring threat? He didn't seem to be hitting shots in warm up and that carried over to the game. Maybe it was just one of those night.

• Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,718
  • Days Won:  109

Didn't we get some shots blocked (from a smaller team)?

We had a few blocked but nothing out of the ordinary. They seemed to have the biggest guy on the court, #20 maybe?

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822
  • Days Won:  0

Is Musa Abdul - Aleem (sp?) supposed to be a scoring threat? He didn't seem to be hitting shots in warm up and that carried over to the game. Maybe it was just one of those night.

Yes, he is supposed to be a scoring threat.. He has had 22 and 23 points in the last 2 team scrimmages or something similar to that (leading all scorers). I've heard that he has a better 3 point shot than Noriega, but not sure compared against Fitzpatrick. And as you can see he is strong, so hopefully we see him take it to the basket more to draw fouls. He really hasn't been able to play much due to coming back from injury. I hope he gets some decent playing time in the next two games to get him going before UCF, and of course conference play.. We will need him.

Edited by Sipher

• Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Gotta disagree about the student section. Nah, it ain't what it was when I was a student. But it was a Tuesday night on holiday break. Gotta say, for a holiday time game, I like what the students are up to. For example, a ringleader group gives a signal before free throws and the whole section yells "Horns Up!" Then they put up the hand sign to support the free thrower. Would be cool if the announcer prompted this at football games before kicks and kickoffs. If only the script for the football game announcer wasn't so horribly unimaginative over the past bunch of years ... But I wouldn't put the student section in "ugly" compared to what it's been in the recent past.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

Gotta disagree about the student section. Nah, it ain't what it was when I was a student. But it was a Tuesday night on holiday break. Gotta say, for a holiday time game, I like what the students are up to. For example, a ringleader group gives a signal before free throws and the whole section yells "Horns Up!" Then they put up the hand sign to support the free thrower. Would be cool if the announcer prompted this at football games before kicks and kickoffs. If only the script for the football game announcer wasn't so horribly unimaginative over the past bunch of years ... But I wouldn't put the student section in "ugly" compared to what it's been in the recent past.

I was thinking the same thing. I would venture to say that's the most students we've had there for a game when they're not in school for awhile ...

And outrunner needs to add another category, Mysterious ... Is Hawkins hurt?

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Pretty good analysis right there Outrunner. Not much to add to it other than I would love to see Fitzpatrick make a freaking lay up on occasion. Think he was about 1 for 7 right under the basket.

I think Abdul-Aleem really ignited the offense mid way through the second that put the Penguins away for good. He moves well with and without the ball and there wasn't as much standing around when he was on the floor. As long as he is healthy, Noriega should never see the floor again outside of garbage time.

I think what was clearly lacking was offense coming from the low post. Kore White showed he is capable at times, but we need much more than what he's got come big east play.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822
  • Days Won:  0

And outrunner needs to add another category, Mysterious ... Is Hawkins hurt?

Hmm, great question.. Or is he falling down the depth chart? That would be strange since Coach was so high on him early in the season, or was it pre-season..

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

Hawkins is hurt