• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hire before Louisville opens

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  60
  • Days Won:  0

I disagree with the expedited approach some are suggesting. Is important to do our due diligence and choose the right person, even if that means one of the candidates is off the table. We also have no direct knowledge or insight about what DW is thinking. Lots of quality names are on the board for this job. There was a lot of negativity about Mr. Holtz's payout when he left. You could have the same scenario if this person that lands this job is the wrong choice.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  445
  • Days Won:  1

I disagree with the expedited approach some are suggesting. Is important to do our due diligence and choose the right person, even if that means one of the candidates is off the table. We also have no direct knowledge or insight about what DW is thinking. Lots of quality names are on the board for this job. There was a lot of negativity about Mr. Holtz's payout when he left. You could have the same scenario if this person that lands this job is the wrong choice.

I love what is happening with our non-revenues, but we have struck out on the revenue producers. Would not be shocked if it takes 3 months and we still get a dud.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  60

I love what is happening with our non-revenues, but we have struck out on the revenue producers. Would not be shocked if it takes 3 months and we still get a dud.

Will you eat crow if we get someone that turns this around?

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523

If we have to be in a bidding war, we don't want them. If you want to grow a program the right way and hire someone who will have some longevity, you hire someone who looks at USF as a destination job who has emotional investment into the opportunity. Hired guns are always temporary. They get killed or look for new targets. You want the guy who was born/raised who wants to protect his "family". That's what we need to be looking for bc at the end of the day your program is only as good as your recruits and that is a SALES PROCESS.

Don't know about you guys, but I'm not buying anything from someone unless I buy into them, especially when it comes to career pathing and that's exactly what these kids are doing. The next coach is going to have to have enough passion to hook into a recruits emotion of being a "game changer" vs. along for the ride in a sexier program. That's a different "sell". For this reason, I'd like to see someone with USF blood in the mix like a Calvin Magee...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

Isn't basketball a revenue producer?

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  740

Just Hire Willie T and get it over with.

The worst thing we can do is rush into a decision. Haste makes waste. And your talking as if Willie is the unanimous, end all be all top pick for the job. Personally, I'm hoping we can get Davis. if that doesn't work out, than Taggart.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

I'm not sure it matters.

We're only a destination job right now if we leap into the ACC or Big 12 and start having serious success (i.e. being at least 2nd or 3rd in the conference, regularly making conference title games). Unless we end up being that annual access bowl participant from the little kid's table and get some big upsets, nobody is ever going to take us seriously. Even Willie Taggart will get offers from some big name schools. If Miami starts struggling again, do you seriously think they wouldn't try to make a play for Taggart if he shows he's winning 9-10 games a year here? I'm sure he likes USF and this program, but if he finds himself hitting that ceiling where he can't go any further, he would be a fool not to jump to one of the Power 5 programs, especially if it was one where he has a serious shot of contending for a national title within 3-4 years.