• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sonny Dykes?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Dykes has Texas ties however

Doesn't seem to stop Cal from making him an offer.

I meant that as a good thing

Yeah, but when is the last time USF budgeted and got players with any consistency outside of FL or GA. I mean a guy that recruits TX would have some ties, but what do you sell a kid on from TX to go to USF?

You never know, but that's why I said he would need a staff of guys with Florida ties

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

Most people at USF would be excited to get someone like Dykes but there are bigger programs looking at him.

I think most realistically on this board are looking at the likes of Taggart or McGee. If USF could pull off Dykes or Malzahn......many would probably be shocked.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Dykes is the bell of the ball... he can take his pick of any current college coaching job in America right now.

Only way we would get Dykes would be with a lot of money which we don't have. While I would like to get him we need someone that is cost effective that can get us out of this hole that Skip dug for us. Also we need someone that will be here for about 10 years to take us to the next level... Dykes will be here and gone in 5 years if we hire him and he turns us around... also if we hire him then we won't be able to pay for any good coordinators or assistants.

Remember the issue with Skip was his salary... it cut deeply into our ability to free up $$ to bring in good coordinators and had to instead settle for Skip's family friends.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Any coach who has even a little success is bolting us for a bigger job. The SEC will continue chew up and spit out coaches, then pay tons of money to get someone new in. Every single year some coach in the SEC is going to be getting paid $3 million to finish 4-8, they can't all be winners. As long as they keep hiring new coaches, our conference will be a stepping stone. Taht being the case, hire the best we can and keep him as long as we can.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Any coach who has even a little success is bolting us for a bigger job. The SEC will continue chew up and spit out coaches, then pay tons of money to get someone new in. Every single year some coach in the SEC is going to be getting paid $3 million to finish 4-8, they can't all be winners. As long as they keep hiring new coaches, our conference will be a stepping stone. Taht being the case, hire the best we can and keep him as long as we can.

Only 15 jobs in the NCAA pay 3 million a season (5 of which are in the SEC). Another 16 paid between $2.5 and $3.0 million. USF was recorded as paying Skip Holtz $2.0 million a season.

If a coach does that well at USF, why would you take a job for 3 million. If a coach is so sucessful at USF another School comes and offers 3.0 million, would USF not be in a position to match it and give him more job security? I mean if a OSU, Michigan, Bama, or someone like that comes calling ok I get it, but USF is not going to have a coach sniped by an NC State or Purdue even for marginally more money.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Only 15 jobs in the NCAA pay 3 million a season (5 of which are in the SEC). Another 16 paid between $2.5 and $3.0 million. USF was recorded as paying Skip Holtz $2.0 million a season.

If a coach does that well at USF, why would you take a job for 3 million. If a coach is so sucessful at USF another School comes and offers 3.0 million, would USF not be in a position to match it and give him more job security? I mean if a OSU, Michigan, Bama, or someone like that comes calling ok I get it, but USF is not going to have a coach sniped by an NC State or Purdue even for marginally more money.

My money numbers are off, but you get my point. Anyone who is successful at USF isn't going to be around that long. And no, I don't think we would. Lets say Dykes (or anyone else) comes in this year for $1.5 and within three years has rattled off 7-5, 9-4, 11-2 seasons. Do you think we can bump him up to $2.5 or $3 million dollars when Arkansas (or Auburn, or Colorado, or NC State, or anyone else getting legit TV money from their contract) comes knocking after it fires another coach?

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

My money numbers are off, but you get my point. Anyone who is successful at USF isn't going to be around that long. And no, I don't think we would. Lets say Dykes (or anyone else) comes in this year for $1.5 and within three years has rattled off 7-5, 9-4, 11-2 seasons. Do you think we can bump him up to $2.5 or $3 million dollars when Arkansas (or Auburn, or Colorado, or NC State, or anyone else getting legit TV money from their contract) comes knocking after it fires another coach?

If $3 million is the top floor of salaries, and were $0.5 million away from that with Skip then I assume we could economically prevent a good coach from leaving for anything less then their dream job.

Edited by Bubba Bull

If $3 million is the top floor of salaries, and were $0.5 million away from that with Skip then I assume we could economically prevent a good coach from leaving for anything less then their dream job.

I pretty much agree. a 9-4 season followed by an 11-2 season will give USF a lot more revenue than they've ever had. With the size of the university and the fickle bandwagon nature of fans, I think we could realistically afford a 3.0 million dollar coach at that point.

We couldn't stop an Alabama from paying the guy 3.5 million, but I really feel we could hold someone in. It would just be a problem if we were in Louisville's shoe's. Do you pay 3.0 million for Charlie Strong? Personally I would hope that they match what ever anyone is offering, but who knows. Is a single 9-2 season without the fan support backing them worth the raise? With their new TV money, I would hope they keep Strong, but who knows.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  208
  • Days Won:  1

Dykes and his AD are getting some deserved heat for apparently orchestrating the bowl "strategy" that ultimately ended with La Tech left out in the cold with their noses pressed against postseason window.

Dykes and his AD are getting some deserved heat for apparently orchestrating the bowl "strategy" that ultimately ended with La Tech left out in the cold with their noses pressed against postseason window.

Too be fair, the great season LaTech put together deserved a lot more than the Independence bowl against an instate rival they want nothing to do with. They should have taken the invite however if the Liberty bowl (who embarrassingly took 6-6 Iowa State ahead of LaTech) didn't give them a guarantee.