• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Calvin Magee to Right the ship

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Fair enough, and I agree, I don't think Chico (Canales) has all of the characteristics we would be looking for. Not suggesting former players should be the biggest or only deciding factor, but that their opinion should be considered important especially when coupled with a good argument for candidate characteristics. But of course, professionals are professionals for a reason.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

I think magee is a top choice as well. I think a lot of us do.

I guess i'm more curious to understand how the players opinions really factors into this. My initial guess is minimally but i have no idea.

I think the best things the players can do is lay out their candidate and the reasons why... but emphasize those reasons why because that gives valuable data to the decisions maker.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  37
  • Days Won:  0

I played for coach C and like the man but I have never brought his name up because I don't think he is the right fit for the job. He can't make an impact that a Taggert or Magee can in recruiting, player relations, alumni relation, scheme and WINNING!!!!! I will go out and say this Magee or Taggert could lock up AW on the first day of the job!!!!

those are my top two guys

i hope doug gives them the chance to make their case

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

I played for coach C and like the man but I have never brought his name up because I don't think he is the right fit for the job. He can't make an impact that a Taggert or Magee can in recruiting, player relations, alumni relation, scheme and WINNING!!!!! I will go out and say this Magee or Taggert could lock up AW on the first day of the job!!!!

I would put Quin second and wouldn't worry about AW. Just old school- defense wins championships and everyone knows our D is hurting.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  125

If Magee brought Wally back as DC....

I'm just saying. No one would have any reason to believe that Wally Burnham would be anything other than successful as DC, again, here.

I am all for that, would love to see Magee as HC and Burnham as DC. Couldn't find two better coaches or people. IMO, pay them and bring them in. One thing about USF when they were here with Leavitt, no one pushed us around or out toughed USF. Need that type of play back.

not sure about: no one pushed us around or out toughed USF... i have some horrible memories about rutgers / pitt games

but yeah those defenses were much better than what we've seen over the last few years.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Just googled Calvin Magee. No way. Too fat.

What? And pass up on the opportunity to print cool shirts that state, "Our coach can eat your coach for breakfast," like Kansas did when they had Mark Mangino at the helm? You, sir, have no sense of humor. :D

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204

id actually be disappointed if one of his criteria for hiring a new coach was former player opinion

i see on twitter other former players calling for Canales

If Calvin Magee gets hired it will probably be because Doug thinks hes the right guy.

I would agree with this. We don't need our opinions to way heavily on this. If Magee can do it then I'm all for it, but I don't want him just because some former players like him. I think a lot of Bucs players liked Raheem Morris and that worked out well. Coaching is not a popularity contest. I'm biased against him not even because of him, but because he's got the stink of RichRod on him. But that doesn't mean he won't be entirely different. If he can give us a great offense while also giving us a great D and locking down recruits then sign me up. The prospect of someone caring as little about D as RichRod seems to does scare me, however, and the discipline issues worry me - but that's all related to Rod.

I don't agree with your opinion but it is your opinion. I think anyone that is passionate about something or someone should let their voice be heard. I am simply saying Magee because I have researched the landscape and believe he is the best man for the job for multiple reasons. I also like Taggert never met the guy but I think he would do a good job because of his ties to the area. As a leader you take every voice into consideration then you make your decision of all the data and we are part of that data. I just want this University to be the best it can be. Bottom Line

I'm on the same page with you. I don't know Magee personally or Taggart. If Maggee can take us to the next level and forward the program then I am all for him. I have my own reasons for not being thrilled with him at this point and most all of it has to do with RichRod and his association with him. That's not the most sane reason for not being a fan, but my dislike for Rodriguez is very high.

That said, jvwvu thinks the guy deserves a shot and I certainly think he deserves a look. The prospect of getting a great coach who can recruit the area and is fiercely loyal to USF would be a huge plus. I do think he'd help the offense greatly, but the defense is a concern. Bring in Magee at HC and lure Shannon here as DC and you'd go a long way to convincing me. I want that 400-500 ypg offense, but I want it with a shutdown defense.

But I will say that Taggart looks the most impressive of the non re-treads to me at the moment. I would not be depressed if Magee does get hired, but It think its important to separate any kind of emotional attachment to a guy too.

A guy like Magee may be very appealing to Woulard and could ensure he comes here.