• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  149
  • Days Won:  0

Zook would be great as part of a 5 year plan. Let him recruit like crazy for the next 3-4 years (knowing that you might be mediocre the whole time), then plan on finding the best X's and O's available at that time to utilize all that talent. We could be gangbusters in year 4/5.

This. Because it is realistic. Even a "big name" slam dunk coach couldn't polish this turd quick enough to satiate the masses.

I can't even begin to understand this line of thinking. Even when you fear failure you shoot for the stars. By that I don't mean a big name or a retread, but a hungry young coach who you believe can be something special going forward. By hiring Zook you would literally be shooting for mediocrity and expecting relative failure.

The man went 23-15 at Florida following in the biggest shoes possible. Everyone hated him from day one which I assume is why you have that taste in your mouth. He inherited a **** program at Illinois and didn't make it any worse. I don't think he is the greatest hire by far but I think he should be top 5. He is also the most realistic hire I have seen mentioned.

I'm the furthest thing possible from a Gator fan and truth be told Zook is the only head coach they have had in the last thirty years that I find even remotely tolerable as a human being, so I'm not sure how you think that would color my opinion in any way.

My issue with Zook is simple: HE IS A TERRIBLE GAME DAY COACH. Period. That's my only beef, but it should be a significant one. His talent to success ratio at Illinois was remarkably dreadful.

Dude, I'm a pretty crazed college football fan and I loved Skip Holtz and you can ask my wife. Some of Skips game day coaching decisions made me break crap in my living room on a weekly basis. At least Zook was good at some parts of his job. You don't think Doug would try and influence him to hire really good OC/DC's? So he could do what he does best and make those kids follow him to Hades and back.....Skip sucked at recruiting...Skip sucked at time management....Skip sucked at showing passion and lighting a fire under his kids ass......Skip was someone who I would invite to my Wedding, but he wouldnt coach my peewee team based on the last two years....

Edited by MoonknightUSF

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Zook sucks a sack of f'n potatoes. Guy couldn't win to save his life. Complete loser of a coach and I want no part of his pathetic coaching ability near USF.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Not reading most of the responses on this thread, because I have no interest in Ron Zook as coach of the USF Bulls, but I would make him recruiting coordinator in a heartbeat.

Sorry if this is a redundant post.

Zook sucks a sack of f'n potatoes. Guy couldn't win to save his life. Complete loser of a coach and I want no part of his pathetic coaching ability near USF.

Who do you want then? I'm sorry if you already stated and I didn't see it. I just want to make sure you aren't a Big Willie backer. I respect your opinion either way.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Who do you want then? I'm sorry if you already stated and I didn't see it. I just want to make sure you aren't a Big Willie backer. I respect your opinion either way.

I'd like to see Butch Davis coupled with a young gutsy OC. He is a strong college coach with good ties to Florida, a solid recruiter and defensive guy.

I'd be okay with him as long as we don't get hit with any sanctions from his NC mess. Good pick...easily would be in my top 3!!

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Can't coach his way out of a paper bag.

True.

Now get him as an assistant and lead recruiter then hell yes bring him in.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I like Voodoo 5's take:

http://www.voodoofive.com/football/2012/12/3/3720442/usf-potential-new-coaches-odds

Ron Zook: 40-1

There's retreads, and then there are re-retreads. Zook can recruit like no other, and coach like your cat. Our fans burning down the Selmon Center and UF grads laughing and pointing at us if we did this should be enough of a deterrent.

Do you think Doug will just hire his cat? That would be unexpected.