• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Doug Woolard

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Okay, hopefully everyone is satisfied that Judy and Doug pulled the trigger. I like Skip, think he had a heart of gold, and his team really liked him as a human being. And he was a good person to help USF get over what ailed it at the time. Lets not forget his first season, he kept the recrits in tact, we won 10 games and beat Clemson in a bowl. Also, supposedly we have had better recruiting than ever (yes the product didn't show these past two seasons). Also, his ex-DC is now winning games at Texas A&M including the win against alabama. No excuses though, he lost games he should have won. Way too many of them, and the team was ill prepared and made many mistakes.

Now onto Doug. The bashing of Doug on here amazes me. He brought Coach Heath to us (who took more than 3 years to have success). He helped engineer the rebuilding of the sundome and the practice facility. Two of the best facilities in the BE. We redid the track/field with the same materials as used on the olympic track in China. We have the best baseball, softball, and soccer complexes ever, and they are better than most if not alll of the BE. i think he waas here when we built out our athletics building, but dont recall for 100%. When he got here, our academics were a mess, he inherited. We were almost under serious sanctions from the NCAA. We had racial tensions in our Ath Dept, and coaching staff. We had improper firings,etc.... The program is cleaned up and moving forward, in large part due to Dougs efforts.

Big east, another story. But who could have anticipated its demise? And it isn't like the Big10, Pac12, Big12, ACC or SEC are calling and asking us to join. We were last into to Big East round 2. Now we are old hat in Big East 3.0. Hard to blame anyone other than the BE Commish for that debacle.

We were all happy with Holtz as a hire 3 years ago. Heck even Smazza had positive posts about the hire. He underperformed as head of a company with over 100 employees and annual budget in the tens of millions. He needed to go, though it is still sad. That being said, the time is now for them to find the right coach. Rather than a big name, I'd rather see a great assistant, maybe Defensive guy, from somewhere. That was our identity, thouugh not so much lately.

Anyway, please lay off pounding on Doug. He has done more positive things for USF than anyone on this board can imagine.

Edited by IncrediBULL
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Still an idiot for giving him an extension after a 5-7 seaon

• Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

this hire will cement DW legacy. another bad move, and his other successes will be forgotten. By the same token, find a gem that brings first 10 win season, etc. he'll retire as 'the man'.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  936
  • Days Won:  1

We've never won 10 games in a season

We've never won 10 games in a season

You are right, my bad. I remembered thinking it was a pretty good season for his first, and I enjoyed teh Clemson win. But no 10 wins is accurate.... We were 8-5 with the bowl.

I long for those days again, when going to regular season games meant something and we had a chance to win them (and not just against div 3 teams.)..

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

Still an idiot for giving him an extension after a 5-7 seaon

In hindsight it wasn't a good move but made sense at the time ... even the head BoT agreed with it.

I don't know how you sell an extension after 5 wins...

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

It's been stated several times. There was a belief he was the man for the job and things would improve and other BCS programs were interested in him at the time. The felt that they needed to lock him up, because they believed in him at the time.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Doug Woolard has a lot of work cut out for him. I hope he has the determination and stamina to see it through.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

It's been stated several times. There was a belief he was the man for the job and things would improve and other BCS programs were interested in him at the time. The felt that they needed to lock him up, because they believed in him at the time.

And the fact alone that we have such an incompetent AD that he gives an extension to a guy 6 months before he has to fire him is unbelievable. It isn't like Skip got a DUI or came to work in his underwear. He did pretty much the same thing he did last year and last year Doug gives him an extension and this year Doug fires him. I am frankly shocked we haven't fired Doug first.

The rest of the issue with Doug comes down to just how poorly our athletic department is ran. There is no excitement or energy. Nothing pushing surrounding businesses to get involved and support USF athletics. Ultimately that is Doug's job. Sure, he is great at spending student activity money to upgrade facilities. But our athletic department, in general, is ran like a high school booster club!