• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Embrace the Suck

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  172

let me get this straight -- some have claimed we can't afford to buy out of Holtz current contract

yet we have people on here thinking THIS is an ideal time to go forward with building an OCS?

That sounds pretty clueless to me.

Have you ever balanced a check book in your lives? Where does all this mysterious money come from when the program is clearly struggling more than it ever has in its history? Attendance is down-- let's build a stadium-- yeah-- that will get the fans to come back in droves. They won't mind losing anymore if we do that. Yeah-- embrace that suck

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

let me get this straight -- some have claimed we can't afford to buy out of Holtz current contract

yet we have people on here thinking THIS is an ideal time to go forward with building an OCS?

Have you ever balanced a check book in your lives? Where does all this mysterious money come from when the program is clearly struggling more than it ever has in its history? Attendance is down-- let's build a stadium-- yeah-- that will get the fans to come back in droves. They won't mind losing anymore if we do that. Yeah-- embrace that suck

I didn't get the impression anyone was meaning we should be pushing for this now, just that it would be nice to have one and to have the means to build one.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  172

I didn't get the impression anyone was meaning we should be pushing for this now, just that it would be nice to have one and to have the means to build one.

we could be killing it on the football field and still be just as unlikely to be building anything on campus any time soon.

SIX OR SEVEN GAMES PEOPLE--- rent, do not buy

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

we could be killing it on the football field and still be just as unlikely to be building anything on campus any time soon.

The problem is that we have a huge supply that damages demand. Not saying we need to build a stadium, but there's little incentive to buy season tickets when you can walk up and get tickets anywhere and slide down to unused seats. I know you don't see things that way Mike, but a lot of casual fans have no incentive to buy season tickets because of the supply.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

+1

Didn't mean build one IMMEDIATELY, just have a PLAN to build one in the FUTURE that your alums can RALLY BEHIND, particularly when the on field product is mediocre. MAKE THE CASE that as a point of pride USF will build a better but affordable stadium on campus than UCF's.

People who rent often die poor. INVEST in your team financially and fans and alums will invest emotionally.

Renter's mentality is a loser's mentality, as reflected in our half-empty pirate stadium. This isn't UF or even FSU and won't be for a generation because the fan base isn't there. Build an OCS that is more appropriate for our fan base now and can be expanded to meet our needs in the future. If we anticipate a big game then we can rent RJS for that one game but most games should be on campus.

The problem is that we have a huge supply that damages demand. Not saying we need to build a stadium, but there's little incentive to buy season tickets when you can walk up and get tickets anywhere and slide down to unused seats. I know you don't see things that way Mike, but a lot of casual fans have no incentive to buy season tickets because of the supply.

Exactly right. And let's be honest, there was plenty of supply at RJS even when we were winning regularly and highly ranked, so to suggest we need RJS's extra capacity is just wrong. We rarely do and when we don't it kills the game day atmosphere (aside from the big pirate ship and red seats).

Sorry... last post on this (don't want or mean to hijack the thread). But I saw this in today's paper:

http://www2.tbo.com/news/sports/2012/nov/28/10/major-league-soccer-may-return-to-tampa-with-400m-ar-578282/

Obviously, a 28,000-seat stadium would be too small for our needs. But it would be great if we could form some kind of public/private partnership with these folks for an OCS. Imagine a 40,000-seat retractable-roof OCS... both team's colors could be green and gold... ah, to dream. :GoBulls:

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  1

It makes too much sense to combine resources and put this stadium on the USF campus. The economics of sharing a stadium could make a deal come together but I sense the soccer owners are going to want their own stadium.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

People who rent often die poor. INVEST in your team financially and fans and alums will invest emotionally.

Renter's mentality is a loser's mentality, as reflected in our half-empty pirate stadium. This isn't UF or even FSU and won't be for a generation because the fan base isn't there. Build an OCS that is more appropriate for our fan base now and can be expanded to meet our needs in the future. If we anticipate a big game then we can rent RJS for that one game but most games should be on campus.

This is what I fully believe and well said :applause:

Once USF pays off the loans for the current athletics dist. improvements then they should consider selling bonds for a new stadium, I know I would buy a bunch. Rome was not built in a day, and since we don't have money we should start planning whenever we can.

Also since many donor level season ticket holders like the seats at RayJay then how about putting green and gold seat backs in the donor sections of the new OCS and put bleachers in the cheap seats. Win-Win. The donors get what they want, and the University gets to save some money on construction costs.