• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ACC coach of the year was just announced

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

The one and only Seth Greenberg. Why him I would like to know.

Because he deserved it ............ he did a great job in his first year in the ACC. They were projected to finish at or near the bottom and they finished FOURTH.

BTW, you need to put "Seth" in the title for it to fall under Bulliever's guidelines for SG threads on this board.  8)

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  486

I am happy for the guy, and I hope they hold on to this lead and finish off Crazy Chaney.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Wow!

From almost chased out of USF to being ACC Coach of the year.....

Congrats.

Before everyone get their panties tied up in knots....give the man props. He did some good work while at USF and he obviously learned from his experience at USF and became a better coach. It also helps that he a real budget to work with at VPI.....

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

I thought this was announced a couple of weeks ago?

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Anyone can be named a coach of they year in the ACC conference, look at the former Georgia Tech coach... ;)

Anyone can be named a coach of they year in the ACC conference, look at the former Georgia Tech coach... ;)

LOL....

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Anyone can be a lawyer, as long as they goto law school  ;)

Greenberg proves to be a magician

By Randy King

THE ROANOKE TIMES

If memory serves me correct, the ACC is scheduled to release it's 2004-05 men's basketball Coach of the Year Award today.

If the winner is not Virginia Tech's Seth Greenberg, I'll will go on public record now -- it's currently 2:13 a.m. EST today in the King household -- and demand that there must be some kind of in-house investigation.

OK, I don't cover Tech men's basketball. In fact, I didn't see a single ACC hoops game in person all season. So what. If there has ever been a slam dunk, this has got to be it. Even these glazed and tired pair of red, road-map eyes can focus well enough to see this is a snowbird, a plum gimme.

Seth Greenberg? Yeah, that guy. The guy with no hair. The chrome domer. The guy who has spoken more words to me -- the Tech football beat writer -- in his two years in Blacksburg than the previous Hokies' coach did in my two years of covering his no-direction gone wild act.

'Splain little Ricky! Yeah, I used to ask the Stokes guy that. Well, the little guy used to look at me at me with a blank stare and simply shake his head. Where's Fred and Ethel? At least they could have supplied some kind of usable quote for public consumption the next day.

Answers? The little guy never had a one. He never provided one revealing response to any pertinent question he was asked in the time I covered his program.

OK, Lil' Ricky, let's go off the record. So. Spill guy. Feed somebody a pass. I know you're familiar with the term assist, Little Lord Faunteroy Award winner. Tell the beat guys what's up with this, what's going on with that. We won't burn you, promise. Just talk to us, guy. Hey, we'll give you a free pass, at least for a while.

Hell, I might as well had been listing to a ol' 78 record spinning on a turn table with no needle. Insight? Go to the Insight.com Bowl if you need that kind of stuff, guys. Well, I did. And I loved the accomodations, sir. Not to mention, there were actually usable coaching quotes that week as I recall.

"Well, I thought the crowd and the band was great," Stokes would say. He opened at least four post-game press conferences with his abbreviated tenure in Blacksburg with that jewel of a line. No wonder I once went three consecutive game stories without using a single quote from the man in charge.

When Tech athletic director Jim Weaver gave Stokes his much-deseved pink slip, a move that was a total confession of a hire gone wrong, I must now confess I wasn't a bit impressed when Weaves went to the well and tossed the rope to Greenberg. According to all published accounts out of Tampa at the time, Greenberg had run that program into total abyss. Heck, forget the student section behind the visiting bench at SoFla wearing the black capes. Hey, this guy was the real "Grim Reaper."

Well, I was dead wrong. When Tech was admitted to the ACC last summer, I'll never forget what Greenberg told one of my associates in the business.

"We might be the worst team in the history of the ACC," Greenberg confided to my cohort. "We might not a win a game in the league all year."

When I heard that, I said to myself, "****, I like this guy. Finally, a who's honest and will tell you something straight."

Of course, like a lot of "in the know" people, I believed Tech had a great shot at going 0-16 in the league. Two and 14? Hey, that's got to be even-money bet. Win three and you own me, New York dude.

Then what does the Weaver hairdo do? He trots a team onto the court that lost at Big South cellar-dwellar VMI early in the season and proceeds to roll a pair of plum crazy eights -- an 8-8 record -- in what's been long advertised as the toughest hoops league in the nation.

Shoot, I would have bet that God couldn't have built that kind of pair of snowmen in the ACC with a roster that includes only six players close to being talented enough to dare sniff the aromas of Tobacco Road.

I haven't had the chance to talk to Greenberg since Tech's home football finale in Lane Stadium in late November. He would usually always show up in the Lane Stadium press box during home games and hobnob with the state media, the same crowd that would undoubtedly hang him a few months down the road.

During his frequent passes through the Lane box, Greenberg always took time to check in with the football beat guy. We'd shake hands and swap some small talk. Know what, I loved it. At least he had something to say, which in my book, was a hell of a start.

As Greenberg would shake me and begin to cut down the press-row aisle, I couldn't help but think: "Does this guy really know what he's gotten into here?"

Being the cold media hound I am, I would consider the situation as mere gallows humor and would chuckle to myself, "well, this is one lynching I won't have to be a part of."

A few days after I was introduced to Greenberg, I'll never forget driving up Williamson Road in Roanoke shortly after the last-call hour. As I pulled the infamous Chevy Lumina into the dead-end parking slot adjacent to the house, I hear the late-night dude on ESPN radio announce, "Stay tuned, folks, I've got Seth Greenberg coming up next!"

It was 3-something in the morning but I couldn't help but hang around long enough to listen to a guy who was evidently was a regular visitor in Jim Rome's "jungle."

Greenberg then comes on the air, opens with a quick-witted wisecrack or two -- or one or two more than Lil' Ricky did in two years -- and I was cackling. Still, I didn't know if it was him or the Clydesdales. Why was I laughing?

Well, an 8-8 league record with this bunch in Tech's first season of membership in the hoops heaven of the ACC is definitely no joke. It's downright unbelievable.

If this ACC media crowd -- the proper name is the Atlantic Coast Conference Sports Media Association -- is as smart as it's advertised to be, Seth Greenberg will be its coach of the year. If not, you people don't know hoops like I thought.

Of course, there's no easy game in this league, I've discovered. I asked one scribe who has toiled in the ACC for 30-plus years who he voted on for coach of the year. His response: "Oh, that's not due this week. We don't vote on that stuff until after the tournament."

Say what? I say Seth Greenberg. Send it in now. Make that yesterday, old-timer.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Be on guard Coach... I remember the way you treated the media here... and BAM! They stab you in the back! Sorta like the way they did with the VaTech coach mentioned in the article devoted to you. It's funny how that works... USF beat writers slander Seth in an RMC article. Tech beat writers slander former coach in Seth article. Do any writers have a conscience? When I covered sports in Virginia, I didn't stab the same people in the back that put food on my plate. Maybe that is the difference between not going to college and taking the required ethics courses in journalism. What do they really teach in the school of Journalism? To get ahead... draw blood at every possible chance?